PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini Lathe Variable Speed Model

Babytoolman
3rd July 2005, 12:27 AM
Hi all,
I have got a problem with my Jet Variable speed mini. It blew the PC board according to MWE people who have had it for the past 2 weeks now.
Has anyone had any issues with theirs? If so what was the problem and did you find that it was repaired quickly?

I am getting very upset as when i bought it i was told their were parts kept in australia and now i find out that was a lie.

Roger

Greolt
7th August 2005, 01:30 AM
Roger

How did you go with your lathe problem

I am thinking about a Jet Mini Vari as a second small lathe

It would probably do 90% of what I do on a lathe.

Your thoughts on this machine would be apreciated.

Greolt

La truciolara
7th August 2005, 07:12 AM
Roger

How did you go with your lathe problem

I am thinking about a Jet Mini Vari as a second small lathe

It would probably do 90% of what I do on a lathe.

Your thoughts on this machine would be apreciated.

Greolt
If I was in australia I would go for the Vicmarc.
Do you realise I buy Vicamarc here in Italy.
We have many a problem with most Jet machines.
The price diference is really worth it, and you will be suprise of the smoothness, stability,... and so on.
with the bed extention there is hardly any limit of what you can do with it.

Babytoolman
7th August 2005, 05:35 PM
Greolt,

Mate to be honest i agree with LaT, I would go with the Vicmarc mini. I am upgrading my big lathe and i was looking at the Jet and after the issues with the mini VS and the people i purchased it off (took 7 days just to get an answer and then another 5 days to then get it back) i am staying well away. I am going for the icmarc by Vermec as they beef up the lathes with larger motors and other accessories.
again this is my experience and others may feel different and really enjoy them. I just said in another post that the Jet VS and Supanova was a great set up and it is when the Jet is working. I do alot less work on the Jet now because i don't want it to breakdown again.
If money is not to much of a consideration then i would go the vicmarc.

Roger

Greolt
7th August 2005, 06:03 PM
Roger & La truciolara

I hear what your saying but....Jet Mini Vari $525 or Vicmarc VL100EVS $1650

If this was to be my only or main lathe my thinking may well be different.

However I have a large lathe that has done well for a long time and continues to do so.

My idea was a small second lathe, more convenient and pleasant for pens, small boxes, pepper grinders etc. Same spindle thread too.

At the price of the Jet this is a viable thing to do but the Vicmarc,:eek: Forget it!! Ill just keep doing what I have always done.

Having said that I am still very interested in your thoughts. If you still reckon it is a bad idea I would like to hear that as well.

Also Interested in peoples experiences/thoughts, re vari speed or belt job on this particular lathe.

Thanks, Greolt

fxst
7th August 2005, 06:32 PM
Greolt I was in the same boat as you and ended up getting a Sherwood vari from Timbercon for my pens and small stuff (egg cups etc). It works well in that role and I love it and other than popping an inline fuse on it I have had no probs in 2 years of owning it. I reckon go with it and get a small vari and enjoy :D
Who knows its good for travelling with too (caravan etc) for those days when you just want to relax :)
Pete

Greolt
8th August 2005, 05:53 PM
Still looking for peoples experiences on the Jet Mini

I would like to get the variable speed one and am interested in the power difference
between the belt change model and the vari. Is it much the same or not???

I am quite aware this size lathe is no power house but thats not what I am after. Just keen to know if there is a difference between the two.

Thanks Greolt

Alan Phelps
28th August 2005, 03:22 AM
Still looking for peoples experiences on the Jet Mini

I would like to get the variable speed one and am interested in the power difference
between the belt change model and the vari. Is it much the same or not???

I am quite aware this size lathe is no power house but thats not what I am after. Just keen to know if there is a difference between the two.

Thanks Greolt

From Phelpsie
I am a member of a wood turning club. We have two belt drive Jets for the last three years. They are good and very popular. Thoroughly recommend. Re the variable speed type I have no knowlege but if somebody can assure me they are OK I would seriously consider one for the club

La truciolara
28th August 2005, 06:56 AM
From Phelpsie
I am a member of a wood turning club. We have two belt drive Jets for the last three years. They are good and very popular. Thoroughly recommend. Re the variable speed type I have no knowlege but if somebody can assure me they are OK I would seriously consider one for the club

Even if my choice for my training center has been for Vicamarc lathe, I can tell you I have been turning for two weeks at a friend's who has a Jet 1642, with variable speed... No problems with that (the only problem with such a lathe is that you need an additional external tool holder has this lathes does not havs a swivel head.
But I repeat. Go for Vicamarc, espescially in a club when the ours of turning are numerous.