PDA

View Full Version : Turned boxes - 50 designs

Oldgreybeard
7th November 2014, 10:08 AM
I have just completed my second life sentence :2tsup::2tsup: and decided to mark the occassion by emulating Peter's Box turning Journey (Sturdee - post no. 180444)

Apart from improving my skills in turning small lidded boxes, which are almost non-existant, I intend to put into practice the advice given by a number of members in response to my previous post "Modifying 35mm Nova Bowl Jaws" (post # 189737):

"Hotmelt glue your blanks to a scrap of wood" - turnerted

"Most lidded boxes I turn, I friction chuck" - chuck1

"Why not use a jamb chuck" - mobyturns.

My aim is to complete the 50 designs in 100 days and in accepting the advice above I will endeavour to complete the task without using a scroll chuck. I would like to say that I will also only hand sharpen my tools - not use the Tormek, but that may be a bit too ambitious.
In preparation, I have made up a few lathe accessories.
Left : Arbor and drawbar to suit the Bonnie Kliene threading jig
Centre Glue block mounted to home made faceplate with M30 3.5mm nut
Centre middle: Screw chuck
Centre bottom Glue block to fit threading jig
Right: M30 3.5 nuts and 75 x 5 MS discs still to be welded up.

Probably the most important component is from the 'advice' of ian thorn ("My apologies" 25/10/14 post # 189457) re Strawberry Jam - "Or a jam chuck".

So I quickl330610y turned up a small bowl and bought the necessary substance.
I hope I got the right brand :fingerscrossed:

In case anyone didn't get the meaning of the first sentence - Maureen & I are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary today - so you will have to forgive me for being a little cheecky:;

I should get the book in the mail in the next week to ten days and will post some images as I progress through to 50 designs. But I may not post images of each one individually as Peter has done.

Bob

MaccaMagic
7th November 2014, 11:14 AM
Happy 50th anniversary. That's awesome.

Looking forward to following your progress

powderpost
7th November 2014, 11:01 PM
Congratulations, that is indeed a remarkable achievement. We have 49 years next July.

Jim

Dengue
7th November 2014, 11:16 PM
Congratulations on your excellent woodworking achievement, and on your golden wedding anniversary. Well done!
We have our 45th coming up next year. I feel like a young pup along side you great achievers :)

Christos
8th November 2014, 09:47 PM
Another one to follow.

Cool.

Bluegum
9th November 2014, 06:54 AM
Great effort bob on both accounts. Gotta be happy mate.

elderly
9th November 2014, 07:25 AM
Well done Bob and wife. I have the book and I have made a number of the boxes they are fun to make.
Cheers Frank.

george mavridis
9th November 2014, 11:32 AM
Congratulations to both of you.

Sturdee
9th November 2014, 04:48 PM
Bob, I'm looking forward to your journey through the book and the boxes you will make.

As I said in my pm I haven't done any for a while as the concentration on accuracy was too demanding whilst I'm coping with new treatment for my cancer and I'm trying to overcome a massive chest/cold infection.

If anyone else is learning making boxes please post them as well.

Peter

Oldgreybeard
21st November 2014, 11:14 AM
331926The first 5 boxes were completed this week. Image left shows the basic setup I am using to complete this challenge without using a scroll chuck.
I have been surprised at how stong the hotmelt glue and jamb chucks are. The glue block attached to the 75mm face plate feels much safer when working on such small projects as there are no jaws,etc of the scroll chucks waiting to attack unwary fingers.

For each of the boxes, I will upload either the box I have completed based on Chris Stott's design or a variation of that design. In the second case I will include a line drawing from the book of the original design.

Box #1 - Simple box

This is as per Chris Stott's design.
Wood is Cypress Pine from offcut of fence post
Finish 240, 320 400 grit, EEE followed by Shellewax liquid and Ubeaut Traditional paste wax.

Box #2 - Chinese hat box

Wood is Liquid Amber from tree removed 7 years ago from our front yard.
Finish 240, 320 400 grit, EEE followed by Shellewax liquid and Ubeaut Traditional paste wax.

Box #3 - Onion-top box

This is a variation of the original design. To my mind, the original finial was too heavy. In addition to refining the shape of the finial, I chose to also reshape the box so that it mimiced the shape of the onion top of the finial.

Wood is Cypress Pine from offcut of fence post

Box #4 - Finial box

I like finials on boxes and I enjoy turning them, but to me they should be an adornment to the main box - not the main feature of the article - and I would prefer a delicate, refined finial. For these reasons, I chose to do a variation based on Chris's suggestion of a shape which resembled a lidded wine glass.

I refined the shape of the box, but was then confronted by 2 problems;
1. "Slimming" down the top of the finial (down to and including the ball) it lost a lot of the impact of Chris's original design.
2. The shape of the bottom cove of the finial didn't work - it made it look as though the finial was an after thought rather than a integral part of the project.

I re-turned the finial and stetched and narrowed the bottom cove so that the line of the box flowed up and through the finial. To my surprise, what resulted resembled not a wine glass, but a wine decanter with a turned bottle stopper. I like it and will eventually scale it up to a full size bottle - made in oak and storing a good Tawny Port!

Wood is Liquid Amber from tree removed 7 years ago from our front yard.

Box #5 - Easy box.

Wood is Red Gum recovered from house being re-blocked.

I am enjoying the challenge and would appreciate your C & C, particulary in respect of the design changes which I made.

Bob

Ron Rutter
21st November 2014, 05:16 PM
Ah you guys are a bunch of kids!!. We celebrated our 60th this past September!

Those boxes are beautiful!! Well done, & congrats!! Ron.

Oldgreybeard
21st November 2014, 06:17 PM
Ah you guys are a bunch of kids!!. We celebrated our 60th this past September!

Those boxes are beautiful!! Well done, & congrats!! Ron.

Thanks for the comments, Ron and belated congratulations to you and your wife on your 60th anniversary.:2tsup:
Bob

michael_m
22nd November 2014, 08:40 AM
They are gorgeous boxes :2tsup:

I think your design changes are improvements, particularly the changes to the onion box. I agree it looked too top-heavy in the original and I like the mirroring of shape between box and finial.

Sturdee
22nd November 2014, 09:50 PM
Bob,

Reading your posts is a bit like being in a time warp. I love the boxes and will be following your posts with interest as you go along. :2tsup:

I have been absent from my box turning journey mainly because of health and other jobs that needs doing but plan to go back to them during the holidays.

Hopefully you don't catch up to me in that time.:U

Peter.

Oldgreybeard
23rd November 2014, 08:32 AM
Thanks Peter.

Time to crack the whip with the medicos and get back in the shed - I am ONLY 32 boxes behind hahaha!!:D:D Seriously, I hope your health is improving and we can look forward to seeing more of your boxes in the near future.

Bob

Oldgreybeard
25th November 2014, 05:27 PM
The last 5 days have been very productive with another 5 boxes completed. A few lessons learnt and one box causing a great deal of frustration.

Box 6 - Spherical box

I have never really turned a sphere before and this was quite a challenge - particularly as I don't have any sort of jig for this purpose. The image above is attempt #10:(( The first 6 attempts were smaller versions for drawer pulls in the shed - now have 6 "elliptical" shaped knobs ranging from the shape of a grape, egg, and a couple roughly round. At that point I went to the internet and decided that the method of shaping a hexagonal and the dividing each facet to produce 16 sides, which could then be blended to form a sphere, looked the best option. After a couple of attempts, I was confident enough to try something other than Radiata Pine.

I am happy with this attempt - not perfect, but IMO reasonably successful.

Wood: Liquid Amber.
Finish: 180, 240, 320, 400 grit, EEE, Ultrashine liquid and finally Ubeat Traditional Wax.
Design: Chris Stotts design

Box 7 -Vase Box

This was an enjoyable box to turn and I will do a scaled up version as a vase in the future.

Wood: Unkown - It was in a shoe box of offcuts which my sister-in-law bought back from Tasmania. My first thought was Huon Pine, but it is not the same as the Huon Pine from the Woodsmith which is used in Box 10.

Can anyone identify it?
Finish: 180, 240, 320, 400 grit, EEE, Ultrashine liquid and finally Ubeat Traditional Wax.

Box 8 - Beaded-lid box

Some additional practice with turning lids.:BThe first 7 boxes all had the lid fitting into a rebate in the box. This time the lid fitted over a spigot (tenon) which is turned on the top of the box. First attempt was a very sloppy fit, second a "catch" demolished the tenon, third time I hollowed right through the top of the lid. Apart from the involuntary twitch which destroyed the tenon, the main problem was confusing the internal and external measurements - something I had better sort out well and truly before I attempt threaded lids!!

Wood: Cypress Pine.

Box 9 - Chris called this a Zebrano Box (because it was made from the wood.) Perhaps I should call this the Oak Box

I changed the original design to inclde a small finial in contrasting wood to replace the "Draw-pull" knob which Chris had used 3 of the past 4 boxes. I think it better suits the taller, slender design of this box.Tthe only problem I had was in hollowing the narrow bottom of the box - the external dimension is 18 mm diameter. I am still waiting for the 12mm Carbide cutters I order from USA which will be attached to my new tool steel shafts.

Wood: English Oak from local tree feller.
Design: Variation of Chris Stotts design for Box 9

Box 10 - Yew Box ( Huon Pine Box)

This is a variation suggested by Chris in his book. It was fun to make, and for a change everything went right the first time. The box was completed in just over 1 hour - I am happy with that!

Wood: Huon Pine and River Red Gum .

Enjoy,
Bob

Oldgreybeard
30th November 2014, 04:07 PM
Box 11 - Elegant box

This is as per the book.

Wood: Red Gum
Finish: 150, 240, 320, 400, 600 grit, EEE, Shellawax liquid, Ubeaut Tradition wax
Design: Chris Stott

Box 12 - Square-lidded box

A couple of embellishments - 1 intentional and 1 involuntary movement.
Chris did not include the small finial, but I could not help myself. It just seemed perfect for this box: what do you think?
The other on the underneath of the lid is indicative of the "design opportunities" resulting from involuntary twitches. This time the 'spiral effect', was left (for no good reason other than my wife thought it looked "cool"). On the positive side I am now becoming more aware of my actions which lead to the involuntary movement. The main culprit is tilting my head backwards and to the right. Unfortunately that is the position I frequently put my head in when working or hollowing wood grain:( I would appreciate any suggestions to changing my technique which would not include tilting the head backwards - such as when looking into the end of a hollow form.

Wood: Cypress Pine
Finish: 150, 240, 320, 400, 600 grit, EEE, Shellawax liquid, Ubeaut Tradition wax
Design: Chris Stott plus embellishments above.

Box 13 - Pill box

This is much smaller than Chris's desgn which was 34 mm high. A pill box was originally designed to be carried in a ladies handbag, so to me 34 mm was too high. I made my first attempt according to Chris's measurements and the decided to reduce the hieght of the bottom section by 10mm.
The first problem was that the proportions where then upside down - top 66% and bottom 33% of the hieght. To offset this I added a small 'V' groove on the side of the lid at approximately half the total height of the box. I think the result is OK.

I should have stopped there, but decided to add some decoration to the inside of the side which was held in a jamb chuck. The fit was not as tight as it should have been and a slightly too heavy cut resulted in a mess. Question - should I continue with the idea of adding detail to the inside of the lid, given that there is chatter work on the top? ( I will cut another tighter jamb chuck and recut the inside of the lid - there is enough wood to do so)

Wood: Liquid amber
Finish: Finish: 150, 240, 320, 400, 600 grit, EEE, Shellawax liquid, Ubeaut Tradition wax
Design: Chris Stott - Chatterwork is one of Chris's suggested variations.

Box 14 - Teardrop box

This is as per the book.

Box 15 - Ginger Jar

This is the largest box sofar - 127 mm tall and 95 mm at the largest diameter and required hollowing the base section to a depth of 101 mm. I found this to be about the limit of my ability and / or equipment (probably mainly the former). I am looking at building a version of Capt. Eddie's steel snake. Has anyone done this or had any experience with it or similar products?

Other than the time it took to hollow out the base taking very light cuts, there was no problems. And I couldn't resist a small ball to finish off the lid:D

Wood: Red Gum

Enjoy

Bob

Christos
30th November 2014, 04:29 PM
I like the way the tear drop box has come out. Looks like it was just about to drop.

smiife
30th November 2014, 04:31 PM
Hi bob,
They look good mate, when hollowing can you
get to the other side of your lathe and hollow from there!
It might help save you from tilting your head?

Oldgreybeard
30th November 2014, 04:34 PM
Hi bob,

Such a simple solution - it just might work. There is plenty of room behind the lathe, so will give it a go. Thanks smiife.
Bob

Oldgreybeard
1st December 2014, 07:31 AM
Hi bob,

I have just been out to the shed and standing at the back of the lathe saves bending the neck to the right, but I found it uncomfortable / almost impossible to hold the tool in the correct position for hollowing.

However all is not lost - the Tecknatool has a swivel head and swinging it 22.5 degrees to the left pretty much achieves the same effect and stilll allows me to turn in the normal position. I have a spare banjo, so may be able to adapt Capt Eddie's Steel Snake to work with the head in this position.

Thanks again for the tip

Bob

Oldgreybeard
7th December 2014, 12:34 PM
Another 5 boxes completed this week.

Box 16 - Collectors Box

This is as per Chris Stott's instructions.

Wood: Jarrah

Box 17 - Mosque box

Box 18 - Egg box

Variation based on Chris's design. Chris design the egg box with the fat end as the lid. It looks somewhat upside down now that I added a pedestal.

Wood: Cypress pine
Original Design: Chris Stott

Box 19 - Ball box

This is as per Chris Stott's instructions. I have added a base for display purposes

Wood: Liquid amber - base Cypress pine

Box 20 - Yew Saucer box

I have scaled down Chris's design to approximately 75% . The original design was 168mm at the widest point. My version is 125mm.
I also changed the finial to one which I has in my 'spare parts' collection - the reason will become clear in the next image.

Wood: Radiata Pine
Finish: 150, 240, 400 grit, EEE, Shellawax liquid, Ubeaut Tradition wax (exterior hand sanded and polished)
Original design: Chris Stott

No turning for a few days

I was just about to start sanding the exterior of the saucer box when strange noises started in the lathe head. This was followed within seconds by major vibrations.

My brother-in-law who is an engineer at Science Works in Melbourne assisted in the teardown and fault finding on Saturday. Not that it was hard to ascertain the problem - the rear bearing for the headstock spindle had almost seized. It can be turned by hand but will not rotate freely.

I will not know until tomorrow how long it will take to get the spindle bearings replaced - unfortunately we don't have access to a suitable press. Hopefully, I will get it rebult and operational so that I can complete another 5 boxes before Christmas - that will take me to the half way point.

Bob

Christos
8th December 2014, 11:30 AM
Really good to see the next lot of boxes made.

The egg box does look upside down. I am tending to favour the saucer out of this lot.

Oldgreybeard
13th December 2014, 04:10 PM
Bearings in the lathe were replaced on Monday morning, so didn't loose much shed time.

Box 21 - Footed box

This was not as difficult as I expected. Following Chris's suggestion the spigot on the botton of the vessel is converted to a ring. I then used a coping saw to cut away most of the ring between the feet. A pnuematic die grinder and a small sanding disc on the dremel completed the job. Unfortunately there are quite a few splits which opened up overnight after I finished it.

Wood: Baltic Pine? This was given to me by a builder working on a heritage site.
Finish: 240, 320, 400, 600 grit, EEE, Shellawax liquid, Ubeaut Tradition wax

Box 22 - Mushroom box

Found these bits in the offcut box and reminded me of an old field mushroom almost at the point of decay. The lid is not quite as rounded on the top as Chris's design, but the size of the offcut dictated the shape.

Wood: Stem - English Oak, Lid spalted Paper bark (Maleleuca)
Finish:240, 320, 400, grit, EEE, Shellawax liquid, Ubeaut Tradition wax

Box 23 - Apple Box

The grain pattern of the lid and the base match pretty well considering this is the 3rd attempt at the lid. First time a catch almost cut completely through the side of the lid and on the second attempt, I got the measurements wrong and cut through the lid when cutting the depression for the stem. Oh well, all good practice.

Wood: English Oak
Finish: 150, 240, 320, 400 grit, EEE, Shellawax liquid, Ubeaut Tradition wax

Box 24 - Saturn box

I have reused the display stand from last week to keep the box in position for photographing. I am still finding turning spherical shapes challenging, particularly when cutting from right - left. The base section with the disc attached is noticeably 'flatter' than the lid section - particularly when they are next to each other as in the third image. However, I can see improvement - just need more practice.:D

Wood: River Red Gum

Box 25 - Japanese lantern box

This is as per Chris's instructions and was a fun box to turn. it was also the first box in this series where we had to cope with cutting air.

I don't know whether I will get any more done before Christmas. If not, I wish you all a Happy Christmas.:2tsup:

Bob

Sturdee
13th December 2014, 10:26 PM
Great work Bob, love seeing your journey as I'm aware of what you have to do.:2tsup:

I haven't been turning for a while now, as I'm feeling a lot better and have more energy to do some urgent and needed work around the house. Stuff that I should have done a while back but had no energy or inclination to do whilst it was cold and wet during the winter.

I fixed the front windows, nearly finished converting the BBQ area to an proper outdoor cooking, eating and spa area and lining the old shed to make a proper gym area for my daughter, then I'll have to fix the back steps before I can get back to turning. So you may finish before me.

Peter.

Hermit
14th December 2014, 12:54 AM
I blinked, and you're already half-way through the book. You're doing a top job, Bob. I'm really impressed with the results.
Keep up the good work. :2tsup:

Oldgreybeard
29th December 2014, 02:49 PM
Week 7 and now completed 35 boxes.

Box # 26 - Pagoda box

The only change from Chris's design was to reduce the thickness of the top square section. Chris specified 7mm, but this looked too heavy so I reduced it to 4 mm with a resultant increase in the heght of the 'dome'.

103mm, Width of square sections: 72mm
Finish: Sanded to 600 grit, sprayed 3 coats automotive acrylic lacquer clearcoat.

Box # 27 - Bird-box ornament
76 mm Major diameter: 22mm
Finish: Sanded to 600 grit, EEE, Ubeat Tradition wax

Box # 28 - Bird box

335268 140mm Major diameter: 65mm

Box # 29 - Finial Egg box

130mm Major diameter: 50mm
Wood: Cypress pine, Finial: River red gum

Box # 30 - Tipsy box

Because of the shape of the lid, the fit is slightly loose. When made as per Chris's design, it consistently rolled over and the lid came off. My version has a small pedestal to overcome this problem.

75 mm Major diameter: 65mm Lid diameter: 50mm
Wood: Base - ?Baltic pine, Lid - Cypress pine

Box # 31 - Trinket box

Red gum base has been turned cross grain to bring out figure in the piece.

150 mm (Finial 85 mm), Major diameter: body - 95mm, finial - 16mm
Wood: Base - River Red Gum, Lid - Huon Pine, Finial - Ebony

Box 32 - Seattle Tower box

Chris had suggested Ebony for the finial which I did not have. I had intended to stain and lacquer the red gum finial, but I think the reg gum looks better.

205mm (Finial 80mm), Major diameter: Body - 95mm, Finial - 15mm
Wood: Base- ?Baltic pine, Body - River red gum, Lid - Cypress Pine, Finial - River red gumm

Box # 33 - UFO box

75mm , Major diameter: 130mm
Wood: Base -Silky oak, Lid - English oak

Box # 34 - Galaxy box

100 mm (Finial 70mm), Major diameter: body - 120 mm finial - 12mm
Wood: Spalted liquid amber, Finial - huon pine

Box # 35 - Clam box

26 mm, Major diameter: 72mm
Wood: Base - River Red Gum

Enjoy. C&C welcomed.

Bob

chuck1
29th December 2014, 04:05 PM
Wow! That's alot of boxes! Very well done!

Hermit
29th December 2014, 06:26 PM
Very nice work, Bob. :2tsup:

Do you dream about boxes at night? (I've been dreaming finials this week.)

You're doing a top job. I think you did the right thing reducing the lid of the Pagoda Box to 4mm.

I think I like the 'Tipsy' boxes best out of this batch. Partly the shape, partly the timber. The grain on the lids really brings them to life.

Keep up the good work, only 15 to go.

Edit: I was reading one of tea lady's old threads earlier and saw a reference to using a bit of an old thong to help with sanding the inside of small boxes. Sounds like a great idea, but I'll bet it confused overseas members. :D

Oldgreybeard
29th December 2014, 07:42 PM
Very nice work, Bob. :2tsup: Thanks to you and Chuck1 for your kind comments.

Do you dream about boxes at night? (I've been dreaming finials this week.) No, but I generally wake about 5.00am and spend an hour thinking about the next box and how to do it.

You're doing a top job. I think you did the right thing reducing the lid of the Pagoda Box to 4mm.

I think I like the 'Tipsy' boxes best out of this batch. Partly the shape, partly the timber. The grain on the lids really brings them to life.
I must be a bad judge - it is my least favourite. I would have thought you might have enjoyed the finial on the Seattle Tower.

Keep up the good work, only 15 to go. Actually it is only 14 now - did another one today, but you have to wait until next week to see the next 5.

Edit: I was reading one of tea lady's old threads earlier and saw a reference to using a bit of an old thong to help with sanding the inside of small boxes.Yes I saw that also but find it too stiff for such small boxes. I have a small block of soft foam which i find more pliable and able to fit into boxes of this size. Sounds like a great idea, but I'll bet it confused overseas members. :D

Bob

Hermit
29th December 2014, 07:56 PM
I would have thought you might have enjoyed the finial on the Seattle Tower.

Yep, I did. A nice one. :2tsup:
I like the colour, too.

Are you using Chris Stott's original finial designs, or your own?
I was going to ask earlier, but forgot. :doh:

Oldgreybeard
29th December 2014, 08:16 PM
Yep, I did. A nice one. :2tsup:
I like the colour, too.

Are you using Chris Stott's original finial designs, or your own? Unless I state that I have changed Chris's design, the boxes and finials are Chris's design.
I was going to ask earlier, but forgot. :doh:

Bob

Oldgreybeard
1st January 2015, 03:35 PM
Happy New Year to you all.

I've had a productive 3 days and completed 5 more boxes. As Peter (Sturdee) noted, boxes 38 and 39 (double decker box and 4 stack box) are essentially the same. Rather than repeat a box, I have chosen to substitute a design from Richard Raffan's "Turning Boxes". This will be box # 39.

Box # 36 - Skep or Beehive box

60mm
Diameter: 60mm
Finish: Sanded to 600 grit, EEE, Ubeaut Traditional Wax

Box # 37 - Inset-lid box

A minor change to Chris's design. I substituted an acorn for his ball finial.

72mm
Diameter: 55mm
Wood:Jarrah and Huon Pine

Box # 38 - Double-decker box

Basically the lid is from Chris's box # 38 and the boxes from #39. In addition I have inset an Indonesian coin inset into the lid.

75mm
Diameter: 70mm
Wood: Jarrah, inset - Cypress Pine

Box # 39 - End-grain box

80mm
Diameter: 45mm
Wood: English Oak
Design: Richard Raffan

Box # 40 - Commissionaire box

Chris commented "When Alan Neal drew the plan for this box he noted that the profile looked like a commissionaire's hat" Box and lid are turned on centre and the moved 10 mm off centre to shape the top and bottom profile.

45mm
Wood:Jarrah

Enjoy C&C welcomed.

Bob

Hermit
1st January 2015, 09:29 PM
You're doing a top job of all these boxes, Bob. Very nice work. :2tsup::2tsup:

I'll stick my foot in it again and say that I like the 'Commissionaire's Hat' box best out of this batch. It does look like one. The 'Double-Decker' runs a close second.
The acorn was a nice touch, too.

40 down 10 to go....

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2015, 10:09 PM
Hmm - just found this thread

Happy (belated) anniversary :2tsup:

I think you are doing extremely well and I commend you on the undertaking - between you and sturdee I almost feel inclined to take up the challenge - but I won't just yet, I've a lot on THAT list to get through first

PS my fave so far is the galaxy box - I like the lines and the spalting sets it off briliantly

Oldgreybeard
2nd January 2015, 07:47 AM
You're doing a top job of all these boxes, Bob. Very nice work. :2tsup::2tsup:

I'll stick my foot in it again and say that I like the 'Commissionaire's Hat' box best out of this batch. It does look like one. The 'Double-Decker' runs a close second.
The acorn was a nice touch, too.

40 down 10 to go....

I will agree with you this time, although I cannot recall ever seeing a commissionaires hat. Maybe I have but didn't know that was what it was called.

The next 5 are pretty easy, will do them next week. The last 5 are much more challenging and will probably need the new chuck as involve both multi axis and eccentric turning.

Bob

Oldgreybeard
2nd January 2015, 07:49 AM
Hmm - just found this thread

Happy (belated) anniversary :2tsup:

I think you are doing extremely well and I commend you on the undertaking - between you and sturdee I almost feel inclined to take up the challenge - but I won't just yet, I've a lot one THAT list to get through first

PS my fave so far is the galaxy box - I like the lines and the spalting sets it off briliantly

Thanks for the anniversary wishes.
The galaxy box would also be one of my favourites.

Bob

Oldgreybeard
11th January 2015, 11:46 AM
Boxes 41 - 45 completed this week. Overall they were pretty disappointing - no new techniques were intoduced nor did they particularly help in preparing for the remaining 5 boxes which are far more complex than we have experienced to date. But here they are, you can judge for yourself.

Box 41 - Top hat box

36mm
Brim diameter: 57mm
Finish: Sanded to 400grit, EEE, Ubeat Tradition wax

Box 42 - Bowler hat box

27mm
Brim diameter: 56mm

Box 43 - Jockey cap box

Brim is turned as a 76mm disc and later cut to shape, im my case using a scroll saw.

28mm
Brim diameter: 63mm
Wood: Cypress pine and Radiata pine

Box 44 - Acorn box

Compared with the scale of other boxes in this book, this is an enormous acorn - approximately 4 times the size of the largest acorns I have seen here in Melbourne.

74mm
Top diameter: 53mm
Wood: English oak

Box 45 - Picture-frame insert box

This is very similar to the Box # 10 variation that I did earlier.

53mm
Diameter: 86mm
Wood: River red gum
Insert: Eucalyptus resin burl
Finish: Sanded to 600grit, EEE, Ubeat Tradition wax

Only 5 to go. Enjoy
C&C welcome (good and bad)

Bob

Oldgreybeard
11th January 2015, 02:54 PM
Box 46 - Three centre spire box

Turned this one yesterday, sanded and polished this afternoon.
Box section is turned on centre; top of lid and spire are offset by 16mm and bottom section offset by 10mm.

186mm
Box diameter: 60mm at join
Wood: River red gum
Finish: Sanded to 600grit, EEE, Ubeat Tradition wax

Enjoy

Bob

Oldgreybeard
13th January 2015, 07:47 PM
Box 47 - Lattice-lidded box

25mm
Box diameter: 50mm
Wood: Spalted Liquid Amber

I spent a couple of hours with Peter (sturdee) last week and am indebted to him for the information and tips he passed on to me - thanks Peter my problems with rotation creep when turning offset centres are largely eliminated. Basically my problems were too low spindle speed and too aggressive cutting.

Even though this blank has quite a bit of spalting, there was no problems with tearout. Lathe speed was 2400 rpm.

Bob

smiife
13th January 2015, 08:13 PM
it QUOTE=Oldit reybeard;1836195]Box 47 - Lattice-lidded box

25mm
Box diameter: 50mm
Wood: Spa;ted Liquid Amber

I spent a couple of hours with Peter (sturdee) last week and am indebted to him for the information and tips he passed on to me - thanks Peter my problems with rotation creep when turning offset centres are largely eliminated. Basically my problems were too low spindle speed and too aggressive cutting.

Even though this blank has quite a bit of spalting, there was no problems with tearout. Lathe speed was 2400 rpm.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Hi bob,
Nice box and I like the lattice lid, did you find the
eee and wax hard to polish up,
I did a similar top recently and used eee and wax
and found It difficult to finish off, I was thinking
It might be easier to use an oil finish?
Good job on the box :2tsup:

Oldgreybeard
13th January 2015, 08:20 PM
it QUOTE=Oldit reybeard;1836195]Box 47 - Lattice-lidded box

Hi bob,
Nice box and I like the lattice lid, did you find the
eee and wax hard to polish up,
I did a similar top recently and used eee and wax
and found It difficult to finish off, I was thinking
It might be easier to use an oil finish?
Good job on the box :2tsup:

EEE and wax was a bit of a pain - considerable wax remained in the grooves. Compressed air removed most, but I had to resort to using sandpaper to clean the remainder from the grooves. Probably took less than 15 minutes though.

Bob.

Sturdee
13th January 2015, 09:51 PM

Bob

You're welcome Bob, glad to have been able to help you.I saw that the book I referred you to is also helpful.

Great boxes and you will be finished well before me as I'm still working on house repairing and maintenance. Nearly finished laying the decking timbers on the back stairs and deck but I've got at least another two weeks work before I'm satisfied with it all.

Peter.

Oldgreybeard
15th January 2015, 02:38 PM
Almost done - here are boxes 48 and 49: only 1 to go:2tsup:.

Box 48 - Doughnut box

I started by turning a spigott on each end of the blank and then drilled the centre holebefore parting off the two sections.

Turning the spigotts for the lid and the matching recesses in the lid was then comparatively easy. The base and lid were reverse chucked to shape the outside profile.

40mm

Box 49 - Off-centre oddity box

Although Chris described this as 'off-centre', I prefer the term 'eccentric' as the centre point does not change, just the angle of the axis which is no longer parallel to the original axis, but offset by 15 degrees. This presented some problems as I do not have an eccentric chuck so resorted to offseting the spigot in the chuck (image 4) which limited the amount of offset to about 10 degrees.

The lid and base are hollowed on the centre axis and the curved section adjacent to the join were also turned on this axis. I have tried to show this in image 1. The top of the lid and bottom of the base are both turned on the eccentric axis. The liquid amber was used for the top as I found the the cyrpress was not strong enough and split on 2 occassions.

The method of holding the pieces for the eccentic turning is probably not ideal, but I found it to be quite safe with the lathe speed at 2400 and fine cuts with a very sharp spindle gouge (10mm). I could not think of any other method of chucking, so would appreeciate any suggestions.

55mm
Box diameter: 70mm
Wood: Liquid Amber for the lid and Cypress Pine for the base

Enjoy

Bob

Oldgreybeard
17th January 2015, 11:43 AM
Box # 50 - Flask box

Not really a box as the medallions on the front and back are glued in place. Am a bit disappointed with the chatter work, maybe its the wood though more likely me, but I could not get much 'depth' on the chatter. Tried different speeds but didn't make any positive difference, rather the higher the speed the less successful. Any tips appreciated.

110mm
Box diameter: 80mm
Wood: English Oak with River Red Gum insert
Finish: Sanded to 400grit, EEE, Ubeat Tradition wax. Polished using swansdown mops.

Group photo.

I hope you have enjoyed following this journey. I have learnt a lot and appreciate the assistance I have been given along the way

Bob

chuck1
25th January 2015, 11:38 AM
Well done, you must have a sense of achievement, I really like the group photo

Christos
30th January 2015, 01:30 PM
Just caught up with the final one posted. Been a great journey to watch these come been produced.