PDA

View Full Version : Double Turning

elderly
8th November 2014, 03:14 PM
A few weeks ago I put my back out and was out of action so I bought Jimmy Clewes set of DVDs Turn it Up and spent my time watching them.
One item he made he called a double turning which I loved. I decided to attempt something similar it is made out of Red Mallee Burl.
Cheers Frank.

artme
8th November 2014, 03:16 PM
Gorgeous!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

It's an ill wind and all that!:rolleyes:

nine fingers
8th November 2014, 03:48 PM
Frank, Glad to see you back in the workshop,now your feeling better some toys and models may be finished. Good to hear your OK. Cheers. John.

crowie
8th November 2014, 04:24 PM
Very nice indeed Frank..... Keep looking after yourself and turning out more beautiful woodwork,sir.... cheers, crowie

smiife
8th November 2014, 04:33 PM
Hi frank,

Very nice , I like it, jimmy is a very good turner
I saw him at turnfest and he is very quick too!
Well done it looks great:2tsup:

Hermit
8th November 2014, 06:16 PM
A stunning piece, Frank. Very nice work. :2tsup:
(I'd love to get my hands on some Mallee burl. Beautiful stuff.)

dai sensei
8th November 2014, 09:25 PM
Beautiful Frank :cool:

Is the base a flat slab or curved in some way like a dish?

Bluegum
9th November 2014, 06:56 AM
Looks awesome there Frank. Came up really well. Hope your back has improved also.

elderly
9th November 2014, 07:13 AM
Neil the base is curved the same shape as the inside with a thickness of about 3mm. I turned the curve on under side first, put a spigot on it, reversed it and then completed the top. I then reversed it again and held it with a friction chuck in the small bowl and removed the spigot. I then removed it from the lathe and finished the sanding by hand. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks to everyone else for comments and likes.
Cheers Frank.

dai sensei
9th November 2014, 10:02 AM
Neil the base is curved the same shape as the inside with a thickness of about 3mm.

Thanks Frank. On my computer I can see both a curve or flat depending on the perception viewpoint

..I then reversed it again and held it with a friction chuck in the small bowl and removed the spigot....

That would have been the extra worried point :U. Well done mate the end result makes it worth it :2tsup:

brendan stemp
9th November 2014, 10:32 AM
beautiful work Frank