PDA

View Full Version : help for a newbie???

Tool Man
3rd July 2005, 10:58 PM
Firstly I would like to say hello to everyone out there.... so HELLO:)
I look forward to learning a great many things from all of you wood masters. Not sure I will be teaching anything for a while yet though.
I have only recently started playing around with wood and i have to say i love it.
I suppose as this is the wood turning section i should get to the part about wood turning..
Yesterday I purchased a wood lathe :D
but i have no idea what so ever on the best tools and techniques to use it.:o
I would dearly love some info from you guys on using a lathe,tools and their uses etc.
Even direction to relavant websites or books would be greatly appreciated.
Please keep in mind that i am only new so just some simple stuff to get my hands dirty would be great.
thanks for your help.

ozwinner
3rd July 2005, 11:05 PM
Hi and welcome.

When in doubt, Google. Google is your friend.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=woodturning&meta=

Al :cool:

tonysa
4th July 2005, 12:58 AM
I'm in much the same position as you.

I got my lathe 2 weeks ago (used delta) and after absolutely no prior experience knocked up a set of pens this weekend in jarrah and tassy oak - check the pen turning section. I left a heap of photos and instructions.

I purchased a $115 cheapie set of 6 chisels, bench grinder and aluminium oxide wheel, decent chuck and stuff for pens. With a heap of jarrah offcuts from mates rainwater tank stand I see a lot of small bowls/ boxes and pens coming from the shed LOL. Don't forget to get some decent papers in varying grits and of course some Shellawax to finish your work of art - amazing stuff !

I got a video on wood turning and loads of books from the library (an often forgotten source of information) and heaps of stuff from this forum and the internet in general. The amount of info in this forum is amazing, it'll take you ages to read through it all.

Try here http://www.aroundthewoods.com/index.shtml for some ideas and some short video clips.

Do as I did and as ozwinner suggests - use google.

Good luck and good turning. Its fun watching shavings coming off the tool.

Tony

ribot
4th July 2005, 01:36 PM
I would suggest joining a woodies group somewhere in your area.

You can't go wrong.

Mistman
4th July 2005, 01:59 PM
As a member of a wood turning club find one near you. Join up and learn they will help you no end

HiString
4th July 2005, 06:37 PM
Mistman,

You don't happen to be "on the commitee" of the local co-op do you?

:cool:

Tool Man
4th July 2005, 10:05 PM
thanks guys...
i now have more than enough info to keep me busy for... oh.. about 5 years or so:)
thaks to all.

arose62
5th July 2005, 11:20 AM
Mistman said:

"As a member of a wood turning club find one near you. Join up and learn they will help you no end"

I'll add "Make sure the average age of the members is about your age, or it doesn't work"

I'm in the process of writing to the Central Coast Old Farts Clique to quit my membership, as I've found them to be uninterested in anyone younger than, say, 70.:mad:

Cheers,
Andrew

arose62
5th July 2005, 11:23 AM
Oh yeah, make yourself a mallet first up.

You only need to make a lump of wood round, then one end handle-ish, and viola! A useful tool, and a sense of accomplishment.

I use my first-turning-ever mallet all the time.

Cheers,
Andrew

Mistman
5th July 2005, 01:13 PM
Mistman,

You don't happen to be "on the commitee" of the local co-op do you?

HiString you got it in one

Kev Y.
5th July 2005, 04:30 PM
Mistman said:

"As a member of a wood turning club find one near you. Join up and learn they will help you no end"

I'll add "Make sure the average age of the members is about your age, or it doesn't work"

I'm in the process of writing to the Central Coast Old Farts Clique to quit my membership, as I've found them to be uninterested in anyone younger than, say, 70.:mad:

Cheers,
Andrew

AAAHHH another "youngster" who needs supervising? I am/was suffering the same problem.. it is now no longer a problem ;)

HiString
5th July 2005, 05:31 PM
<-----------Sits back wondering whether Mistman occasionally wears a tee shirt related to high speed "things with wings" :D .............if so, you showed SWMBO (the wife) and I around the co-op some weeks ago. Actually, I may be sticking my nose into the co-op sometime later this week if all goes well.

smidsy
5th July 2005, 08:12 PM
Mistman said:

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew,
Don't tar everyone with the same brush mate. I am a member of Liddlelow here in Perth and at 35 I am the youngest by about 15 years and about 30 years below the average age. Sure I've had a difference of opinion with one or two guys, but regardless of age they are a wonderful bunch of guys and always helpful.
Not discounting the probs you've had but it's not always like that.
Cheers
Paul

dai sensei
5th July 2005, 09:44 PM
Andrew,
Don't tar everyone with the same brush mate... Not discounting the probs you've had but it's not always like that.
I'd agree and go one further, those old farts usually have a wealth of knowledge, you usually just have to ask the right questions to get them going.

smidsy
5th July 2005, 11:31 PM
There must be something in our water - getting the old guys to START talking isn't the problem :D

Cheers
Paul