PDA

View Full Version : A Large WA Marri Platter

Willy Nelson
14th November 2014, 09:33 PM
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

Haven't turned much lately as once again, I have the flu. :(( I did however finish the oiling for the large 400mm Marri platter. Bit of curl throughout and of course, the buggers of grubs have had their way with the timber before I did :-. I used CA to stabilise the detritus left by the grubs and hopefully, people will see it as a feature. The finish is 10 coats of Danish Oil
Cheers
Willy

Christos
14th November 2014, 10:00 PM
Very nice feature. I wonder why so many people think that one bland colour is perfect.

dougturner
14th November 2014, 11:10 PM
Willy Nice platter! How do you apply your Danish Oil? Spray, Brush, Rubber, on or off the lathe? Do you apply a sanding sealer first, or straight over bare wood? I hope you are on top of that flu by now. Doug (from Nirimba). :U

chuck1
14th November 2014, 11:49 PM
Very nice work Mr Nelson.

Willy Nelson
15th November 2014, 12:06 AM
Willy Nice platter! How do you apply your Danish Oil? Spray, Brush, Rubber, on or off the lathe? Do you apply a sanding sealer first, or straight over bare wood? I hope you are on top of that flu by now. Doug (from Nirimba). :U

Hello Doug from Nirimba (as am I)

I apply sanding sealer, then rub in the DO with 0000 steel wool and buff off
Cheers
Willy

BamBam53
15th November 2014, 06:46 PM
Nice work Willy.

I had never heard of Marri until I got one of your curly pen blanks earlier this year. It makes a spectacular pen.

Michael

bookend
17th November 2014, 01:40 AM
Great job!

What did you use to fill the gum veins?

Sawdust Maker
17th November 2014, 07:24 AM
nice fiddleback

pretty platter

Tim Creeper
17th November 2014, 12:13 PM
Dat's a nice pladd'r willie.

Willy Nelson
17th November 2014, 09:07 PM
Great job!

What did you use to fill the gum veins?

Hello Mate
I use plastibond, black oxide but also CA mixed with sawdust.

Cheers
Willy

bookend
18th November 2014, 12:58 AM
Hello Mate
I use plastibond, black oxide but also CA mixed with sawdust.

Cheers
Willy

G'day Willie
I see too many clumsy filling jobs with redgum but you seem to have kept it subtle. Marri can be a bugger to get right.
Plastibond is great stuff though.

You did well.

Willy Nelson
23rd November 2014, 09:59 PM
Hello Graeme
Thanks for that, but I reckon that it is only wood turners who know whether it has been a repair, a cover up or mistake :)
Cheers
Willy