PDA

View Full Version : Tool Drawers failure

WOODbTURNER
23rd November 2014, 02:49 PM
This is what happens to unbalanced, over loaded tool drawer cabinets. The orange one fell towards the lathe when I opened the drawers. Apart from the tools, there were pen parts spread all over.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Mobyturns
23rd November 2014, 03:59 PM
Looks like those drawers don't have the safety features of the 4 drawer filing cabinets.

WOODbTURNER
23rd November 2014, 04:18 PM
Looks like those drawers don't have the safety features of the 4 drawer filing cabinets.

Moby, I'm replacing it with one Iv'e got tomorrow.

Pat
23rd November 2014, 04:37 PM
How many tools met the concrete?

WOODbTURNER
23rd November 2014, 04:52 PM
How many tools met the concrete?
Pat, most of them fell on me and the rubber mat in front of lathe. Just a few scrapes, bruises and choice words.

I_wanna_Shed
23rd November 2014, 07:55 PM
Oh boy, not good! Neither the tools hitting the deck or having to find everything afterwards.

Reminds me of when I was doing an auto-electrical apprenticeship. I was driving the van one day and being a bit too 'spirited' around some twisty roads out the back of nowhere. Well I hit a bump around a bend and everything in the back went flying all throughout the van. I then spent the next 2 hours on the side of the road finding and sorting out what seemed like thousands of spade connectors, globes, odds and ends etc, and all sorts of bits n pieces. When I got back to work hours later I think I told the boss I helped some old lady who had a car accident, cause that's the sort of nice guy I am. Moral of the story, Toyota Hiace's handle like a dog on lino.

Mobyturns
23rd November 2014, 08:01 PM
For users of these sorts of cabinets it may pay to put your spare key in a safe place & not inside a cabinet drawer.

At the Proserpine Turnout one of the turners had an inconvenient experience. Somehow the drawers managed to self lock themselves & yes the keys were in a drawer. A quick break & enter job & he was back in business, but the drawers needed a bit of panel beating afterwards.

chuck1
23rd November 2014, 09:58 PM
Wow that's never good! Good way to clean drawer out?!

Christos
24th November 2014, 06:56 AM
This reminds me of a movie or TV show that I once saw(can not recall the name). The answer to almost every question was it's in the top draw. :)

Treecycle
24th November 2014, 01:05 PM
Is that the safety boot under the chisels that you were wearing at the time?:no:

WOODbTURNER
24th November 2014, 03:04 PM
Is that the safety boot under the chisels that you were wearing at the time?:no:

Typical Darwin safety boot eh. Actually I wasn't turning at the time as you can see by the clean lathe but looking for my allen keys.

hughie
25th November 2014, 08:18 AM
For many of the reasons already posted I shy away from tool drawers, view them more as a curse than a help.