PDA

View Full Version : Dendrobium Speciosum

Kidbee
28th November 2014, 08:50 AM
My specimen ( Sydney Rock Orchid) is attached to a tree. After flowering it produces new shoots from which next year's flowering occurs. My plant threw two new shoots this year and the same last year. I want to increase new shoot numbers. I read that they like fertilizer but being attached to a tree it is difficult to apply. Any suggestions how I may produce more shoots to increase flower production?

Nifty Nev
28th November 2014, 05:52 PM
What about a liquid fertilizer applied slowing using a small watering can.

cava
29th November 2014, 12:25 AM
Have you considered a rotten banana wedged into the back of the orchid?

twosheds
30th November 2014, 08:04 AM
Hi Kidbee

I grow native orchids at home.

Try a handfull of slow release fertilizer thrown up onto the plant. If it is a large size use 2 handfulls.

I am using some Osmocote plus at the moment with an N P K ratio of 15:4:9.

I only apply the slow release fertilizer at the start of the growing season which has just started in November here on the NSW Hunter coast.

Regards
Twosheds

Kidbee
30th November 2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. It was remiss of me not to get a photo showing the size of the plant. Here it is. It has been hooked to the tree for about four years and now it's roots have attached to the dead tree on which it was placed. You can see the two new shoots which have the white coverings.

Black Ned
30th November 2014, 03:30 PM
Put Tea bags in behind the orchid and the tea/tannin will feed it.
Ned

twosheds
1st December 2014, 07:56 AM
It's only a little fella Kidbee, just half a handful should be good.

Regards
Twosheds

HUON
7th December 2014, 11:30 AM
There are a couple of sites I found on the computer that may be of help as well. One was under the Rock Lilly Man, the article was by Gerry Walsh. The other was called growing Dendrobium Speciosum the Ted Walmsey way.