PDA

View Full Version : Small Silky Oak bowl

Hermit
7th December 2014, 11:38 PM
My latest little bowl, I left it as a fairly simple shape to let the grain do the talking. I could really get to like this stuff.
(If it wasn't for that lovely grain, this bowl wouldn't be worth showing.)

Southern Silky Oak, 175mm diameter, 50mm tall, 7mm walls.
(I just re-measured - the walls are 6mm, not 7mm.)

Sealed & grain-filled with shellac/talc, then finished with half a dozen coats of oil-based satin WOP.

As you can see, I still have to reverse it onto the vacuum chuck and remove my balsa 'handle' and the tenon, but I'll wait until I have a couple of other bowls waiting before setting up the vac chuck system. (I don't leave it on all the time, because when the vacuum handwheel adaptor is fitted I can't get my knock-out bar in to remove the spur drive etc.)

The third pic is a bit crappy - I couldn't avoid the glare.

All comments and/or suggestions welcome.

333565 333566 333564

Faulko
8th December 2014, 07:37 AM
Looks great. Silky grain shines

Ilya
8th December 2014, 08:57 AM
Top quality timber, and excellent workmanship!

Christos
8th December 2014, 09:10 AM
It is a nice piece. Sometimes the simple design is the best.

artme
8th December 2014, 09:45 AM
Beautiful grain!! You have done the right thing by keeping it simple, lovely wok.!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Simplicity
8th December 2014, 10:49 AM
As said above
The grain in great in silky oak
Looks really good
I love how the grain pops

BlackbuttWA
9th December 2014, 11:07 AM
I left it as a fairly simple shape to let the grain do the talking.

What a great attitude......Love it.

Too many times I have seen beads & other embellishing taking the attention away from beautiful grain.

There is no better artist than Mother Nature.

Col

chuck1
9th December 2014, 05:04 PM
Looks awesome Steve! that's one of the reasons why I like solid timber!

Hermit
10th December 2014, 12:53 AM
Too many times I have seen beads & other embellishing taking the attention away from beautiful grain.

There is no better artist than Mother Nature.

Col

Thanks Col, and too true. In many cases too much figure can even detract from a detailed turning. (And vice versa.)

Looks awesome Steve! that's one of the reasons why I like solid timber!

Me too, while I've got it. Gives me a chance to get a lot more actual turning done, too, rather than days of preparation.

Still, back to a couple of bits and pieces projects shortly - two laminated and one segmented. Gives me a chance to use up the flat boards I have laying around, all too thin/small for solid turnings.

Sawdust Maker
10th December 2014, 10:04 PM
cool

one of my favourite woods

Hermit
10th December 2014, 11:44 PM
cool

one of my favourite woods

Thanks Nick. It's quickly becoming one of my favourites too. :2tsup:
Nice to turn, not bad to sand/finish and looks fantastic.

Thank you for the 'Likes' everyone, too.

vtbao
11th December 2014, 01:15 PM
Nice bowl.
I did one in the past with jarrah. Still don't know what can i do with that, because it's too small :-)
Yours nicer

Hermit
11th December 2014, 09:13 PM
Nice bowl.
I did one in the past with jarrah. Still don't know what can i do with that, because it's too small :-)
Yours nicer

Yeah, most of mine are too small to do much with too, usually only 150mm to 200mm. More for looking at than using, I guess. Still, they're good practice, and seem to be appreciated by the people who receive them.

Eventually I'll get a bigger lathe, but meantime a 10" mini is fine for the learning process.

Regarding what to use your's for, what about a small bunch of grapes? Even artificial ones would look good, and never need replacing.
I've been buying artificial silk flowers from eBay for my bud vases. Only about $1 each, and they dramatically improve the appearance when on display. They look real, too.

One of mine sits on top of the fridge for tomatoes. Small bowl, but I only buy a few tomatoes at a time.