PDA

View Full Version : Why's everyone complaining about Bunnings?

Craig Euler
14th August 2001, 06:05 PM
I don't know why everyone complains about Bunnings being too expensive! and I qoute "If you happen to find a cheaper price on an identical product, we won't just match it, we'll beat it by 10%, guaranteed."
I know that Brims consistently has ply and MDF prices half of what Bunnings advertises but I won't complain with a further 10% off. Someone must have something nice to say about their local Bunnings/Hardware House or other hardware establishments?

Shane Watson
14th August 2001, 06:27 PM
Example - if bunnies have something for $100, to expensive, so you jump in your car and go elsewhere to find the same product for $60 elsewhere. To go back to bunnies will only save you $6. Then take into consideration the fuel cost to have travelled around shopping and then to have to go back. The savings are getting less & less. It certainly does not make it worthwhile for me when I have a locally owned firm approx 3 blocks away who are always cheaper, than to travel approx 15km to the new bunnies. Of course you could shop around by phone first, but bunnies still want proof & phone calls arn't free yet. And don't forget on trade quantities the 10% dosn't apply & guess who determines what trade quantities are? bunnies themselfs. Not to mention the lack of service and lack of knowledgable staff bunnies are becoming renownded for. Personally I prefer to see my money going to local business's where the money stays local. bunnies is a rather sore point with me & most of the local community actually http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Iain
14th August 2001, 06:40 PM
The key word is identical, if I find 2x4 pine they want to know who it came from, then theres the messing around while they check. If I want something I want to go in, get it and leave with a minimum of time wasting with mainly people who don't know what they are talking about.
Then theres service, how many times have you been left stranded in an isle waiting for someone who works in that area.
If someone else happens along they will call the right person for you, more delays.
Large items like my Biscuit Jointer not a problem but not for a $10-$20 purchase, I have better things to do with my time and I find I get better service from the smaller outlets.
My main gripe is with the advertising campaign and the general public believe it, no questions asked while smaller and cheaper operations go to the wall.
Then theres stock, want some PVC glue, never heard of it, 6" 9 hole sanding discs, don't carry them, bandsaw blades, Vermont American at $25+ a pop, I'd hate to ask for a 44 gallon drum as I fear I may be told they don't sell musical instruments.
I want chlorine for the pool, only granulated and hellishly expensive and they won't pool test for me, my pool shop will free of charge.
And the greeting staff at the door, thats really over the top and tend to frighten me away as they have to be paid too.
My mail box is constantly full of propaganda and never yet have I found anything that I would call a real bargain.
I'll stick with the experts thankyou.

Roly
14th August 2001, 08:18 PM
At last. I thought that I was dreanming when I read all the Bunny propoganda and found the the service was poor, availability below standard and prices not all they are cracked up to be. My local store which is part of a larger chain gives me a discount card and because I shop there regularly, I find, no questions asked, between 5 and 10 percent reduction in price, nice service with a smile, helpful advice if I'm stuck, never more than 5 minutes in the store before someone comes along and says, "can I help you" and most important, no heavy sales talk if I happen to be only browsing for the day.

Craig Euler
14th August 2001, 08:35 PM
There has to be one good point though. Seems like a real Bum's rush in regards to Bummings. I have one good point, though I might keep it to myself until later.

[This message has been edited by Craig Euler (edited 14 August 2001).]

John Saxton
14th August 2001, 11:01 PM
The old adage of "seek and you shall find" is well placed in regards to this topic.

If you're looking to buy timber go to the sawmillers.
If you're looking to buy tools go to an appropriate tool shop whose staff have the expertise and training in cooperation with the tool company's to help you out.
If you're looking to buy fittings check the web out locally where you will not only get a bigger selection but from a source that is most likely factory direct.
If you're reading this its because you have access to a computer so also look on line.

I say all of the above because in the West here there is a saying that go to Bunnings first cause you know you can always improve on the price.Having had the Bunnings experience that has gone from bad to worse and quality that begs the question because Bunnings is becoming a dumping ground for cheap products predominately from Asian origin where quality control dosen't exist.

We've had Bunnings here for years and once upon a time there was a quality to their merchandise but over the years they have gobbled the opposition at the cost of quality.
Whilst I have given Bunnings a raspberry here there are a few good points in that I have found their staff helpful even with limitations placed on them.
Bunnings I feel have gone from a hardware store to an Asian import emporium much to the chagrin of woodies everywhere.You see woodies don't bring in the dollars as much as Mums and Dads shopping for plants soap etc!
Thankfully we have other options open to us such as Hardware House to name one but Bunnings will have them too if they can.

Just a little more than my 2c worth
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

RETIRED
15th August 2001, 01:46 AM
Supposed to be a trade store. Asked for a thousand #8 chipboard screws 35mm long.

Yes sir, buy 10 packets at $5+ea.

Went to my normal screw place and bought them for $12.80.

Trade Quantities BAH.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Craig Euler
15th August 2001, 12:12 PM
Yep! I have to agree, I'm afraid. Reply to Mr Saxton? Apparently I heard that Hardware House was going to the wall and being gobbled up by Bunnings. But that might not be quite true as it could be a smaller venture ( which has previously been the case. ) like True Value or maybe Mitre 10, Who knows.... But I'm sure they "Hide behind the product they sell!" .... no wait....that's Chandlers. I have, however, found them to be quite useful, in a host/parasite sort of way. I have often gone there to stroll the aisle and gleen ideas for projects. For example, I see something that I could incorporate into a project and that spawns a different idea and project etc, and so on and so forth. Then I happily depart and return to my sanctum ( sounds perverted ) and create. Moohahaha! But that's about it. They have a big range to see comparisons and nice sausage sizzles. In a way, it's like getting the internet for the first time. Rush in and use it lots and marvel at the huge quantity and diversity of info but then the vastness gets a bit overwhelming and you step back and only use it when you really need something. Another rumour coming from my Victorian in-laws is that Bunnings is linked to a company or companies that have dealings with Rainforest deforestation. Just a rumour. Anyway, Criticism is the surest sign that someone was listening.
Have a great day everyone and play and stay safe in all you do.

Craig Euler
15th August 2001, 12:14 PM
Ooooops! Sorry guys! I forgot to punctuate and put in some paragraphs to help with reading my dribble.

AlexS
15th August 2001, 12:47 PM
Never been to Bunnings, but they are owned by Wesfarmers who are taking over Hardware House (home of abysmal service) from Howard Smith. Sounds like no chance of improvement. I tried to send an email; to the MD of Howard Smith about his sinking ship, but even his web page is a heap of, and the message couldn't get through. Hope they both go broke, and my local independent continues to serve well both those who know what they want, and those who don't but want good advice and service. Plug here for Hornsby Timber & Hardware.

fcm
15th August 2001, 01:15 PM
I know John Saxton opposed my opinion of the GMC cookie cutter, but if there is one saying that has not done me wrong its "If your pay for manure you get manure" (generally put across in a more colourful language).

Bunnings (+ HWH & M10) could be 1/10th the size if they reduced the manure stockpile, but that is not their business plan and WE generally don't fit their customer profile.
Heck, they'd probably try and talk me into a Poulon playsaw to replace my Stihl 088 - well maybe if they'd care to serve me.

If you don't want manure don't shop where it's stockpiled.

If you do want good quality, the right quantity, good after sales service all at the right price (and you haven't already got preferred suppliers) shop around, ask questions of the people who write into sites like this and finally if you've got the time, go to the best place you can find and talk to their staff, even if you don't intend buying from them. If sales people are serious, they should be only too happy to impart some of what they think, know or have heard from around the traps. Before I buy I ask to use their demo model on timber - something low life suppliers like Bunnings, HWH + M10 won't do.

Both Bunnings and HWH are great for those who love mindless shopping or for general household manure.

And last of all, opinions are like ars...........

Mark

John Saxton
16th August 2001, 01:51 AM
Hi Mark, it was neither my intention to denegrade your choice, or sway your opinion in regards to the selection you may have or may make.
I respect everyone's right to make their choice on informed comment,research, and according to their budget.
I do on occasion make reference to some of the cheaper brands perhaps questioning the quality of the tool but it is not I assure anyone on this board from a position of smugness.
I constantly attend WWW shows and tool shops in the belief that being as informed as it can allow me to be, then perhaps I can be aware of what is what within the industry.

GMC make a product that fills a market void and to do this and at the price that is being placed on the tools one has to always question :_1. Quality Control. 2. Ergonomics in design for handling. 3.Reliability in terms of service,parts replacement,back-up from the company. 4.Reliability in usage(in terms of long time use and abuse). 5.And finally will you have to "tidy" up the machine before you can use it?

It is also a recognised fact that there are tools for the backyarder as well as the serious woodworker that manufacturers adhere to and it's not the price that dictates this but the quality in the manufacture that will provide for longevity in tool employment.

I wish at this point to ensure also that whilst I dont intend to pontificate,I do try to be objective in my observations.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno