PDA

View Full Version : Difficult turning job

chuck1
10th December 2014, 10:29 PM
I was hand a A4 copy with a photo (pic1) and told to copy this Patten balusters! I asked if we had a better photo but no!
So this is what I came up with.
I turned 30 balusters today and the posts yesterday.I am reasonable pleased with the finished product
thanks for looking any c and c welcome!

Hermit
10th December 2014, 11:37 PM
Nice job Charlie, especially considering the photo you had to work from. :2tsup:

It's still got me buggered how you turn multiple identical shapes so easily.
I've been practising drawing up my design first, then trying to accurately duplicate it in timber. Trying being the key word. It's even harder than it looks.

Back to the practice.....

chuck1
11th December 2014, 07:02 AM
Thanks Steve, spindle turning production runs are far easier than bowls and faceplate turning.
I will add a lot of concentration is still needed. I worked with very good tradesmen and Teacher. They were harsh with some of there teachings but it made me a better turner.
two balusters ended up as firewood on this job due to dig-ins and one I saved with a little bit of bog. As the bal was 1.1 metres long and I didn't machine a spare( lucky they are being painted, but if they are gloss paint it really shows any tool marks)

artme
11th December 2014, 07:08 AM
Good going Charlie!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I've often wondered why you don't get an automated copy Lathe.

Do you make a template for these jobs?

artful bodger
11th December 2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks Steve, spindle turning production runs are far easier than bowls and faceplate turning.
I will add a lot of concentration is still needed. I worked with very good tradesmen and Teacher.
two balusters ended up as firewood on this job due to dig-ins and one I saved with a little bit of bog. As the bal was 1.1 metres long and I didn't machine a spare( lucky they are being painted, but if they are gloss paint it really shows any tool marks)

Spindle turning production runs easier than faceplate turning eh? With all due respect I'd beg to differ. Most of my production runs are faceplate which I'm pretty comfortable with. When I get a run of spindles I will tackle them and get there but you would win hands down in a race!.
I guess it comes down to what your use to.
Also it is refreshing to hear you admit that 2 ended up as firewood due to dig ins. I find the more slender spindles particularly challenging and usually ask for a couple of spare blanks just in case.

smiife
11th December 2014, 08:27 PM
Hi chuckie,
Great job as always, well done under difficult circumstances:2tsup:

chuck1
11th December 2014, 08:46 PM
It would not be worth setting up a copy lathe for 30 to 100 balusters as the boss found out it's was more expensive, and with one design I made the copy lathe could not do it!I just use a a pencil gauge artme.

I think anyone who does not have dig-ins are fibing. It's just how bad it is. This job was pine and we have packs of it, when it's a rare timber I ease up a bit. I still stand by dig-ins happen when concentration wonders then schheewww
I agree it's what your used to. I like your handles as they look hard to turn as its a high point and low point with a flowing curve, that takes skill to replicate, where as I find the bals easier as there is lots of high and low point to work to.and most of my apprenticeship was balusters and post 8 hours a day!