PDA

View Full Version : Love my new Skewchigouge

Evanism
12th December 2014, 02:35 AM
Came with a hoard of chisels, it's a UK brand called Crown (can't find much on them) but this skewchigouge is fantastic.

Different to use, the instructions a bit head-scratchy and I had a titanic catch that nearly broke my hand completely off at the wrist.... But after actually thinking about it and using it properly it turns very fast and very cleanly.

I made a new handle for my big bastard file. Using a lump of mystery wood, it turned all the edges and whatnot almost as a 3-in-1 tool.... Still need the big gouge and I prefer the skew for smoothing, but the skewchigouge is fabulous for everything else.

Very glad I have it. Might turn some shaker knobs tomorrow and see how it goes.

artful bodger
12th December 2014, 08:59 AM
Skewchigouge?, can't quite picture what one looks like.
Any chance of a picture?

tore
12th December 2014, 09:30 AM
Here is some info

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles/articles.aspx?articleid=727&page=1

Evanism
12th December 2014, 09:38 AM

Its a round bar, 1/2" with the "up" face ground on what looks like the rounded face of an 8" grinder, the "underside" is rounded like a bowl gouge.

The instructions are a mystery. (attached)

I learned this morning to sharpen it in a very particular way. I'll have a close look and think to ensure I understand the instructions properly.... "Sharpen the bevel ONLY. Use an oil stone or you'll f-up the angle".

issatree
12th December 2014, 10:21 AM
Hi All,
Have 1 no 2 no 3, of these great tools.
Very easy to make yourself. Piece of round or Square HSS Bar, McJings Steel is really good for this, & should only cost $16 + Postage. You might like to make 2 others as well from 3/8in - 1/4 in. All work like Magic.
You will wonder why you never had them earlier.
Put a finger nail Bevel on it, then grind the Flat piece on a 20Deg. ??? angle.
It doesn't have to have a scoop on it like in the Photo.
To Sharpen, I just sharpen the top long bevel, & you only have to just touch it, & away you go again.
Every now & then you have to do the Finger Nail.
Make your own handle or Copy the one in Richard Raffan's Book " Turning Wood ".
1 in. Aluminium Chair pieces make good Ferules, & polish with 0000 Steel Wool.
Every Handle I have is a copy of that Handle.

chuck1
14th December 2014, 07:48 AM
Looks cool! Can you turn a bead and a hollow with the one tool? Does it cut or scrape? I would like to see one in action!

orificiam
14th December 2014, 07:58 AM
Looks cool! Can you turn a bead and a hollow with the one tool? Does it cut or scrape? I would like to see one in action!

See it in Action here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XnGeDSvhs

Cheers Tony. :)

Evanism
14th December 2014, 11:13 AM
Saw that video, looks like it was shot on potato-cam and uploaded to the internet via a 1980's fax.

:)

Its a really nice tool. I've been convinced by "another" to go practice breads and coves endlessly with my skew and bowl gouges until I can do it in my sleep :)

Edit: skew and spindle gouge.... Had to look up the core differences between a bowl and spindle... Shows my newbie-ness

nz_carver
15th December 2014, 11:22 PM
I'll i can say is learn to use the proper tools that have been around for 100s of yrs
and then there is no need to part with your cash.

Its yet another tool that tool makers bring out aimed at getting you to spend your cash.

In most cases it's some office monkey behind a computer that comes up with the idears for these types of tool with little or in most cases no experience useing turning tool.

Evanism
15th December 2014, 11:53 PM
:) it came as a massive batch of 38 crown chisels I won at auction...it was one of two I wanted....the rest will probably be put up here for sale :)

I was also told a Bedan is also worthy of my learning..... Don't have one of those in the hoarde though! Might mangle one to make it.....

Sturdee
16th December 2014, 01:52 AM
I was also told a Deban (dban?) is also worthy of my learning..... Don't have one of those in the hoard though! Might mangle one to make it.....

I use my Bedan for a lot of things, worth having and learning to use it.

Peter.

Sturdee
16th December 2014, 02:03 AM
I'll i can say is learn to use the proper tools that have been around for 100s of yrs
and then there is no need to part with your cash.

Its yet another tool that tool makers bring out aimed at getting you to spend your cash.

In most cases it's some office monkey behind a computer that comes up with the ideas for these types of tool with little or in most cases no experience using turning tool.

Taking that argument to its logical conclusion you would go back to cobbling together a pole lathe, use a bit of carbon steel, no chucks and an old hand turned water wheel for sharpening.

That system has been around even longer and using that you would save even more. :U

Don't forget there are many roads leading to Rome and each can be the correct one depending where you come from. Same with turning and turning tools. Who amongst us is to say which is supposed to be the only one or even the best one.

Peter.

BTW I take exception to office workers being called office monkeys as during my working life I worked in offices, and behind computers, and I certainly was not a monkey. :((:((:((:((:((:((

Paul39
16th December 2014, 11:35 AM
Came with a hoard of chisels, it's a UK brand called Crown (can't find much on them) but this skewchigouge is fantastic.

The only new lathe tool I have bought was a 5/8 inch Crown bowl gouge. About 6 years ago I had some Christmas crazy money and no bowl gouge. Looked at Sorby and Crown side by side and Crown was about $10 less so I bought that.

I have since bought a used 5/8 Thompson and a no name 5/8 Sheffield steel bowl gouges. There is no difference between the cutting ability of the three. I have polished the insides and given them all a mild swept back grind.

http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/page11.html