PDA

View Full Version : Pulls for Pull Chain Cistern Toilets

mjl09
12th December 2014, 06:02 PM
I guess this isnt a common request - two replacement pulls for a pull chain cistern toilet.
Both in Blackwood and finished with wipe on poly and featuring o rings to hopefully protect adjacent surfaces and themselves from damage.
The one on the left uses the fittings from the original pull which was ceramic and the second using new solid brass s hook and screw eye.

dai sensei
13th December 2014, 11:33 AM
Great idea :cool:

You could use them for curtains, clocks etc too :rolleyes:

Simplicity
13th December 2014, 12:09 PM
Or even market them as thumpers.
Am I aloud to say that lol
By the way they do look good

george mavridis
13th December 2014, 12:27 PM
I'll bite, what's a thumper? http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/rolleyes.gif

Simplicity
13th December 2014, 12:41 PM
Immmm could be my spelling
I meant a thumbing stick
Something to hit something else with lol

BobL
13th December 2014, 01:16 PM
Back when we were newly weds we were living in my in-laws beach shack that had an outdoor dunny with pull chain. The water tank was one of those heavy concrete types held high up on the wooden frame of the weatherboard clad outhouse by somewhat flimsy rusting steel brackets. To get the thing to release water required a short light tug of the chain followed by a long firm pull. Any other method just wouldn't work and it would just creak away, frustrating the user who desperately wanted to get rid of their business.

One evening we decided to host our first dinner party to which we invited some work mates. In the middle of the dinner one of the guests - an attractive elegant young woman asked where the toilet was and we told her and all the other guests how to achieve a successful flush. A few minutes later we could hear the multiple creaking of the chain and knew the guest was not doing it right. Two seconds later there was an almighty CRASH and we rushed outside to see the guest appearing ashened faced in the doorway of the dunny with the chain in her hand and a widening pool of water at her feet. Her final pull of the chain was so firm the steel brackets had given way and the concrete tank had fallen and smashed the pan.

Oh yeah, and nicely turned handles BTW.

chuck1
18th December 2014, 08:46 AM
Great work! I used to sell a few as light pull cords, no brass fittings just a 3 mm hole all the way through and a 6mm counter sink to hide the knot.
there were lots of old houses where I grew up that still have the ceiling rocker switch with cord.
one lady ordered 10 the same for one house
so hang on to your design( no pun intended)

Christos
18th December 2014, 08:57 PM
It is a far better to share it here as I don't think many would hang around pondering what a great design.

I also made two of these for the father in law as light pulls.