PDA

View Full Version : wooden chisel handles

piperjono
16th December 2014, 02:07 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy 9 of these.I reaLLY need them as a handle for sets of flocking tools for saddle fitting..
grateful for any info about fitting fitting a 5mm pirce of rod into wooden handle handle
Thanls John

Hermit
16th December 2014, 03:06 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy 9 of these.I reaLLY need them as a handle for sets of flocking tools for saddle fitting..
grateful for any info about fitting fitting a 5mm pirce of rod into wooden handle handle
Thanls John

John, someone here might offer to make them for you, but if not, try The Wood Works Book and Tool Co, Sydney (http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/technical-data-sheets/chisel-handles).

Or possibly Krugers (http://www.krugers.com.au). Their file handles might be worth a look.

I'd have a go, but don't have the timber or much experience at multiple identical turnings, (or making handles, for that matter.)

turnerted
16th December 2014, 03:59 PM
If you have no joy finding any, contact me in the new year and I can probably make what you want.
Ted

chuck1
16th December 2014, 04:18 PM
Does not seen to be a photo of handle? I'm to far away other wise I would put my hand up to turn them!

wheelinround
16th December 2014, 04:26 PM
Thanls John

Hi John

See how you go with Ted's fine offer first if he can't help I'll also put my hand up. Any chance of a pic of what your after? many shapes out there.

As to your question about attaching handles

Usually a hole is drilled as close to outer dia of the material this makes it tight drilled @ centre of the handle and and forced in or epoxy used to glue it in.

Ways to force the tool in are
Using the handle end hold vertical/upright so the hole is at top and insert the tool as far as you can then banging on bench top gripping the shaft of the tool (hope you got this) if the edges are sharp use cloth of leather glove.

Use a vice to hold the blade of the tool and tap gently the handle onto the blade

Use a long clamp protecting the blade tip with softwood and slowly close the clamp

DaveTTC
20th December 2014, 02:50 PM
G'day John,

Where abouts are you and what so handles so you want. Like mentioned there seems to be no picture of what you want.

Do you have the wood you want to use

Regards