PDA

View Full Version : Laminating and turning paper

Hermit
18th December 2014, 02:26 AM
I've seen some pretty nice turned objects made by laminating sheets of paper, as can be seen here:
From Wood to Paper, the Lathe, and Beyond - Robert Lyon (http://www.robertflyon.com/RFL/Articles_files/RobertLyon.pdf)

Has anyone had a go at this?

And a question for anyone that has tried it - can glossy magazine pages be used, or only the more porous newspaper-style paper?

I might be a bit short on wood right now, but I certainly have plenty of old newspapers and books/magazines.

A couple more examples, by Hannah Lobley:

334528 334529

chuck1
18th December 2014, 09:10 AM
Wow great find Steve now to find a stack of recycling! I have only tried plywood and the only issue I had was when turing bowl the laminate kept failing near the chuck.
Keen see how it goes though. Lots of glue, maybe spray the glue?

dai sensei
18th December 2014, 10:14 AM
I haven't done any with paper but did try denim jeans. Used a heap of glue (Titebond II), very messy (wrapped in baking paper and pressed in vice) and very hard product to turn. End product not my taste but coloured paper may work out better.

mjl09
18th December 2014, 10:40 AM
I believe the glossy paper can be used - as im pretty sure glossy magazine pages were used in an article in Woodturning magazine a few years ago.
In it they turned a lamp base if i remember rightly

Ill try and find the details later on

Hermit
18th December 2014, 12:46 PM
Wow great find Steve now to find a stack of recycling! I have only tried plywood and the only issue I had was when turing bowl the laminate kept failing near the chuck.
Keen see how it goes though. Lots of glue, maybe spray the glue?

G'day Charlie.
Robert Lyon uses Titebond, but Hannah Lobley uses a specially formulated glue that soaks through the paper better, apparently.
About 6 months ago I asked her what glue she uses, but it's her little secret.
CA would work well, but it'd be bloody expensive to use that much.
Perhaps pre-soaking the paper for a while in thinned Titebond or white PVA would help it soak in deeply.

I haven't done any with paper but did try denim jeans. Used a heap of glue (Titebond II), very messy (wrapped in baking paper and pressed in vice) and very hard product to turn. End product not my taste but coloured paper may work out better.

Denim? That sounds interesting.
I've seen coloured sheets of paper used a bit, including in a video (by Carl Jacobsen, I think, if my memory serves), as a contrast band in a timber turning.

I believe the glossy paper can be used - as im pretty sure glossy magazine pages were used in an article in Woodturning magazine a few years ago.
In it they turned a lamp base if i remember rightly

I'll try and find the details later on

Some of Hannah Lobley's stuff looks like glossy paper, too, but once a finish is on appearances can be deceptive.
Do you happen to remember what glue was used?
Any more details from the article, if you can find it, would be much appreciated.

I'm glad some are finding this interesting. I'm pretty flat-out right now, (finishing 5 projects at once), but I'll give it a shot when I get a chance.

Christos
18th December 2014, 09:16 PM
Just thinking about it. I think the glue has to soak through the paper.

As an example when you want to glue two pieces together then take apart you would use paper between the two pieces.

So thoughts are how to get the glue to soak deeper.

Hermit
18th December 2014, 09:28 PM
Just thinking about it. I think the glue has to soak through the paper.

As an example when you want to glue two pieces together then take apart you would use paper between the two pieces.

So thoughts are how to get the glue to soak deeper.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. That's why I'm nervous about using Titebond, except maybe thinned with a little water. I'd love to know Hannah Lobley's formula, to save a lot of trial by error.

One of the main reasons I started this thread was to discuss possibilities for the best adhesive.

Christos
18th December 2014, 09:42 PM
.......One of the main reasons I started this thread was to discuss possibilities for the best adhesive.

Well you have done well as you got me interested and maybe try this as well.

mjl09
18th December 2014, 10:32 PM
Woodturning Issue 242 July 2012 - Paper Lamp Stand - By Dennis Keeling

The original lamp shade he made won a prize in a competition was with expensive travel magazine and the comment is made the thicker the paper the better (thin paper crinkles easily with the glue). White PVA glue was used (thin glue layers only). Built up layers (~80) and put between plastic film and pressed for 24 hours whilst drying

Hermit
18th December 2014, 11:18 PM
Woodturning Issue 242 July 2012 - Paper Lamp Stand - By Dennis Keeling

The original lamp shade he made won a prize in a competition was with expensive travel magazine and the comment is made the thicker the paper the better (thin paper crinkles easily with the glue). White PVA glue was used (thin glue layers only). Built up layers (~80) and put between plastic film and pressed for 24 hours whilst drying

Thanks for that extra info. It looks like my first trial will be with white PVA. The crinkling was on my mind.

I might have to try both thick and thin paper. Thicker would be less inclined to crinkle, but might be more likely to split, like an intentionally splittable paper joint.

Pity it takes so long to dry out thoroughly, but just to test for splitting I can laminate up relativeley thin pieces that'll dry faster, then take to them with a sharp chisel.

I'm in no rush anyway - this is more a long-term thing to think about for a bit first. Gotta make a press, too. I knew there was a reason I kept that old wind-up car jack in the corner of the shed.

Edit: Forgot to say - I've never heard of Dennis Keeling before, so I just found his website for a look at some of his stuff. His woodturning articles up to 2011 are available on his site, too. None from 2012 though. :no: Just missed out.:(

chuck1
19th December 2014, 08:35 AM
I read an article on spraying pva with water and they recommend a half / half mix and adjust to a fine mist no cob webs. They are using this method in boat building to mould veneers. Thinking internal stuff only?
I also guess you could make like a flower press but bigger for clamping.some nice gloss laminex on the insides to stop it sticking.