PDA

View Full Version : accurate circular saw for mitre cuts

timbertom
23rd December 2014, 12:36 PM
Hey!

Need to make some boxes with mitred corners. I was wondering if there's a circular saw that more accurate than the rest? The panels are approx 900x500.

I have a Mikita table saw however it's to small for panels that size.

Cheers
Tom

elanjacobs
23rd December 2014, 07:02 PM
You should probably post this in the Power Tools section, very few people will see it here

KBs PensNmore
23rd December 2014, 09:39 PM
Last time I had to make some boxes with mitred corners, I used my router fitted to a Triton router bench. Made a sled with a fence that ran square to the slot from a 45 degree router bit, and with a clamp to hold the ply in place, even had a stop gauge on it. Worked a treat.
Kryn

timbertom
24th December 2014, 08:57 AM
Hey.. I thought of that although the timber is 30mm thick. Can the router bit manage that?

Gabriel
31st December 2014, 06:57 AM
Bit more expensive than the average power saw, but I have a festool track saw that works a treat. If you're struggling for a solution, and depending on where in Melbourne you are, drop me a line and I could help out.

Cheers
Gab

Xanthorrhoeas
27th January 2015, 04:39 PM
Hey!

Need to make some boxes with mitred corners. I was wondering if there's a circular saw that more accurate than the rest? The panels are approx 900x500.

I have a Mikita table saw however it's to small for panels that size.

Cheers
Tom

Hi Tom,

Depending on your budget you should be looking at a decent quality table saw with a sliding table. Most, if not all, will let you cut accurate 45 degree mitres over 900 mm long. Some of the less expensive saws come with add-on aluminium sliding tables and some may require some tweaking to get the mitre 45 degreperfect. I haven't tried the cheaper sliding table machines but they may do the job too. Carbatec, Major woodworking etc. etc. stock these kinds of saws. Even Saw-Stop now have a sliding table for their saw. Then if you are able to afford top quality there are machines like the Hammer from Felder. Made in Austria and very high precision.

I started with a Ryobi 10 inch, then used to have a H&F 12 inch contractors' saw. I couldn't recommend such machines for long mitres, though with a lot of work they could be tweaked for perfect short mitres. Now I have a Hammer C3-31, only small change from $15,000 new but sometimes available second hand, even from Felder. Perfect cuts each and every time!

Good luck.

David