PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc Toolrests

Kidbee
28th December 2014, 09:41 AM
I recent purchased a new 150mm tool rest for my lathe. The tool rest has a round bar edge which my older 300mm one does not have. I know there was some discussion and comparison about tool rests recently, so I am posting photos.

Not sure if it has been strengthened by the round bar only because of its short length or has Vicmarc changed the profile of all their new tool rests?

dai sensei
28th December 2014, 11:11 AM
Wow don't tell me they have finally changed that old crappy profile :o. Was it purchased from Vicmarc, or just a rest for Vicmarc? Looks like it has a finger guide, lacking in the old profile, it will be interesting to see what you think it's like in practice.

I would probably still file a taper with small flat on top, similar to the Woodfast :rolleyes:. Carrols also sells this one http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/vicmarc-vl175-200-toolrests that looks like it has some filed surfaces but it could be just the photo

Woodturnerjosh
28th December 2014, 12:23 PM
Yes, that is the new Vicmarc tool rest and it has a round hardened bar on the top. Much nicer to use than the old ones and the harder top surface makes the tool feel like it glides across compared to the old ones.....now they just need to make some bent rests the same way....