PDA

View Full Version : Buzzer Transport

DSEL74
3rd January 2015, 04:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I have found a buzzer I need to move from Old Noarlunga SA 5168 to Lilydale in VIC. It is a large beast, Measurements are 97cm high x 214cm long x 39cm wide. The girl in SA has no equipment for moving it, and so far I have had no luck with transport companies.

Is there anyone local that could assist?

Even getting it on to a pallet would be a benefit.

Cheers.

issatree
3rd January 2015, 04:35 PM
Hi DSEL74,
Helped move an old one a few years ago. We guessed it was under a Tonne.
We were sadly well out of the guess.
Ended up weighing approx. 1100Kg's. & we moved with one of those 3 Wheeled Engine Lifts, rated at approx. 975 Kg's.
Sir Stinkalot knows all about it.

DSEL74
3rd January 2015, 05:01 PM
According to the old manual I have which I believe matches this machine:
Weight is around 1300lbs. (600kg) So could be lifted with an engine crane, although this end I may use a local bobcat with forks.

Sir Stinkalot
3rd January 2015, 05:29 PM
Yep ..... if it is anything like mine (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=169555) it is not going to be an easy one to move, particularly if the seller isn't too helpful (or able to assist in arranging collection) and you cannot get in yourself. As Lewis mentioned I managed to move mine with the assistance of Lewis, our friend Gavin and an engine crane. It was difficult at the time due the the unknows, but since that time I have relocated it by myself.

Whilst I am somewhat local to this one I don't think I can assist at this stage unfortunately. I no longer have a car with a tow ball and transporting the engine crane to the site will be somewhat difficult - particularly now the wheels are under my jointer :doh:. If somebody else is able to assist and just needs some additional muscle, or lifting slings, I may be able to help out.

I do recall however when we relocated from Victoria, with the jointer, the company here outsourced a crane truck to do the final delivery. They simply used the lifting slings to move it into location (no pallet used). I got it onto the truck in Victoria with the engine crane. We moved with http://www.crownrelocations.com.au/adelaide-removalists but I am not sure who they subcontracted to for the crane truck. It may be possible to call the local Adelaide branch and see who they recommend. Unfortunately it may still be difficult to coordinate, particularly if the seller cannot provide any assistance.

Is there any chance of a photo?

DSEL74
3rd January 2015, 05:50 PM
Here are some pics.

I thought I had a transport company lined up but after initial contact and a price from the rep I was forwarded on to someone else and they declined as it was not a business to business job. He did say that it must be on a pallet also, as they use a pallet jack to get it to the truck and a tailgate lifter to load it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/lo4AAOSw2XFUfFoN/$_20.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/xrEAAOSwj0NUfFl0/$_20.JPG

DaveTTC
3rd January 2015, 05:57 PM
If you can line up a trailer in horsham I can do a round trip horsham to adelaide and return if that is any help. Will be doing the trip around the 20. I have an engine crane I can take with me and tie down straps.

Not sure if Brendan Stemp has a trailer he would lend or if there is another member with a decent trailer to lend

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DSEL74
3rd January 2015, 06:04 PM
Dave,

I have a standard 6x4 trailer but no car, my girlfriends car doesn't have a towbar. If you are willing to take it to horsham that would be at least half way home. It must be easier to get it here from there.

How long will your trip be? Might be possible to hire a trailer for a day or two.

DaveTTC
3rd January 2015, 06:23 PM
Depending what happens I may be able to take my own trailer in which case I can bring it back to Jerilderie and then down to Melbourne as part of another trip.

At this time my wife wants to take our caravan to see one of the kids in Warracknabeal (near Horsham) so I can not take that and a trailer.

We would need to find somewhere to keep it in Horsham till it can be picked up from there or I may be able to leave it at my daughters but that is not so on the Melbourne route as Horsham.

Again I do have a mate in Warracknabeal who may be able to lend me a trailer, I do have one there of my own but not sure if it would be up to the task at hand.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DSEL74
3rd January 2015, 06:28 PM
Depending what happens I may be able to take my own trailer in which case I can bring it back to Jerilderie and then down to Melbourne as part of another trip.

At this time my wife wants to take our caravan to see one of the kids in Warracknabeal (near Horsham) so I can not take that and a trailer.

We would need to find somewhere to keep it in Horsham till it can be picked up from there or I may be able to leave it at my daughters but that is not so on the Melbourne route as Horsham.

Again I do have a mate in Warracknabeal who may be able to lend me a trailer, I do have one there of my own but not sure if it would be up to the task at hand.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Dave, When do you think you will have a clearer idea or will it be up to the wire on the 20th? I'm happy to chip in some petrol money and a bed for the night on the Melb end if needed.

DaveTTC
3rd January 2015, 06:36 PM
trip is a certainty, Old Norlunga is only an hour South of where I am going in Adelaide. My finances are particularly tight atm but happy to do what I can to help a fellow woodie. Chris Parks helped me with some transport sometime ago which I am extremely grateful for so nice to return the deed.

Horsham to Melbourne is not a trip I can afford extra to what I have to do atm.

I'll pm you my contact

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DaveTTC
3rd January 2015, 06:47 PM
Text me and I can call you if you like

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DSEL74
3rd January 2015, 09:40 PM
Having spoken with Dave, we are pretty certain we can get it to Horsham or Warracknabeal. Any ideas on anything further?

Anyone around horsham that might be able to store it while I arrange further transport??

DSEL74
8th January 2015, 12:44 PM
Ok I have a new plan my neighbour has an account with Camerons Interstate.

I have asked Dave if he is still up for it, he can get the buzzer to the Camerons depot in Edinburgh S.A. for me and they will bring it back to Melb.

It still needs to be put on a Pallet and strapped down. Is there a good pace to find pallets around Old Noarlunga SA 5168 that might be used????

Sir Stinkalot would you be able to help Dave get it loaded into his trailer??

Sir Stinkalot
9th January 2015, 02:52 PM
Sir Stinkalot would you be able to help Dave get it loaded into his trailer??

I should be able to depending on the day. By looking at the photo I assume that the jointer is located at a business. I am home on Tuesdays, Fridays and Weekends. Just keep me updated via PM of the plans. If push comes to shove I could possibly get the wheels for the engine crane off my jointer to make it functional again.

Tankstand
9th January 2015, 04:51 PM
We no doubt have a pallet at work I can have and steel strapping equipment to borrow.
Like Sir Stinkalot, it would be handy to know the access times etc. because I'm stuck at work from 6:30 til 3 each day.
I could meet DaveTTC around 3:30 any day.
Just some more options for you.

TheNutter
9th January 2015, 05:26 PM
If it doesn't turn out to be convenient for Tankstand I am not that far away and could lay my hands on a pallet. I don't have any strapping. PM me at need.

Regards

Ian

DSEL74
9th January 2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the offers guys.

Dave (TTC) said he thinks at this stage he will collect it in the 18th and drop it at the deppo on the 19th. It is probably best if Dave contacts guys to make the arrangement directly for help rather than me getting in the middle.

It may be possible to drop a pallet off earlier but I wouldn't like to think Dave is left to manhandle this thing on his own, the more the merrier and safer.

Tankstand will steel strapping
A. Be enough to hold this beast
B. NOT damage the machine surfaces

Tankstand
9th January 2015, 06:17 PM
Good question! If I use enough it will. And I would use some scrap wood between the machine and straps.

I hope the engine lifter is the plan as I won't be manhandling anything.

DSEL74
9th January 2015, 06:28 PM
I Believe an engine lifter is the plan, but in my experience it is hard to push the engine lifter in place while something that large swings around or rotates the opposite way you intend on your own.

Also helps to stop the rocking when being cranked up etc. A few steadying hands make things easier, safer and quicker.

DaveTTC
9th January 2015, 11:20 PM
I also have a pallet jack I may be able to bring with me

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Ticky
10th January 2015, 12:41 AM
My Brother & I moved one similar to that with a engine hoist & a 1/2 ton chain block and a 7 x 5 trailer.

The engine hoist & B&T could not lift it & we would not have got the height anyway.

We lifted 1 end of it with the hoist & lifted the front of the trailer right up & pushed it under the raise end of the Buzzer.

Then we hooked the B&T with a bit of chain, around the front of the draw bar & the the chain & hook around the Buzzer.

We didn't so much pull the buzzer up onto the trailer, it was more pulling the trailer under the buzzer.

We had to move it into position so we could push the trailer under it first & we did this by lifting 1 end & putting 3 or 4 lumps of pipe under it. then it was simple roll it on the pipes and just keep taking the back pipe & putting it to the front.

I can't remember but I reckon we would have chucked a couple bits of that pipe under it when we were winching the trailer under it as well. Prolly wouldn't have done any good, but it couldn't hurt.

Steve

DaveTTC
10th January 2015, 09:20 AM
so long as I have a concrete floor right under the trailer I think my engine crane should do it. Depending where I have the boom it is good for anything from 1250kg down to 250kg.

It can lift high enough even given the size of the unit to get it into the back of a 6 x 4.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DSEL74
11th January 2015, 07:24 PM
Here is how someone else put one on a pallet.

The extra boards running crossways seem like a good idea. Not sure myself if just four straps is enough.

DaveTTC
13th January 2015, 03:58 PM
Looks like either two pallets or one long one

I was planong on ising boards in a similar manner but a standard pallet

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

DSEL74
13th January 2015, 04:59 PM
I think as long as the base sits fully on a standard pallet it should be ok. The pallet is just so it can be lifted with a fork. If a long pallet was available it may offer a small amount more protection that's all.

Two pallets may be unstable.

Tankstand
13th January 2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the offers guys.

Dave (TTC) said he thinks at this stage he will collect it in the 18th and drop it at the deppo on the 19th. It is probably best if Dave contacts guys to make the arrangement directly for help rather than me getting in the middle.

It may be possible to drop a pallet off earlier but I wouldn't like to think Dave is left to manhandle this thing on his own, the more the merrier and safer.

Bugger, This didn't register until now. Originally it was the 20th, I'll be off golfing with my social club in the AM. All will be OK if picking up after 3pm ish.

DaveTTC
13th January 2015, 06:37 PM
That should work for me

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Tankstand
17th January 2015, 07:23 PM
I've been in touch with Dave and we are hopefully set for 4pm Sunday.
The address has me worried, I drive past there twice per week and slowed down today to have a closer look at number 80.
From the air it appears to only be a shed? Is it owned by the people next door in #82?
DSEL, can we have this confirmed, could you ask for precise directions please? Just wanting this to go smoothly and quickly.
Thanks.

DaveTTC
17th January 2015, 08:07 PM
I think that might be right. Spoke to the lass today and she said there are two driveways and take the one to the shed. Her mum will be at the house. All good to go for 4pm

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Sir Stinkalot
17th January 2015, 08:31 PM
Hi Dave,

Just checking in to see if I am required tomorrow as I haven't heard anything. It sounds like Tankstand is right to go so there will be the two of you. Its a bit of a trek for me to be standing around doing nothing but if I am needed please let me know.

Cheers

Stinky

DaveTTC
17th January 2015, 08:56 PM
Stinky,

Another hand is always welcome but we should be able to manage. Where abouts are you. I may be able to pick you up on the way through?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DSEL74
17th January 2015, 09:26 PM
Spent the entire day today rearranging all the gear in the shed so I can fit this beast in…… Thanks to everyone for your efforts and good luck tomorrow.

Sir Stinkalot
18th January 2015, 10:19 AM
Stinky,

Another hand is always welcome but we should be able to manage. Where abouts are you. I may be able to pick you up on the way through?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Ok I am happy to make the trip down at 4:00pm. Thanks for the offer of the lift however I will drive ..... I might try and get down to have a look at De Young's before hand. I am guessing the location based off the image provided but am assuming it is next to Tang-Soo-Do Association?

Is there anything that you need me to bring (other than my good looks which come as part of the package :U)

DaveTTC
18th January 2015, 10:22 AM
Good looks will suffice. About to cross the border into south oz

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Tankstand
18th January 2015, 06:46 PM
One heavy beast manhandled safely by these three handsome blokes! :D
L to R... Dave TTC, Sir Stinkalot & Tankstand.

DSEL74
18th January 2015, 06:53 PM
:2tsup:

You guys are showing a bit of leg there!! Looks like it all went well…..

DaveTTC
18th January 2015, 07:02 PM
Some awesome help there, would not like to have tackled that on my own. Each of us played a valuable part. Was great to meet you both.

Can say now parked safely at my SIL's

Next stop - freight company ... tomorrow morning

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

DSEL74
18th January 2015, 07:49 PM
Some awesome help there, would not like to have tackled that on my own. Each of us played a valuable part. Was great to meet you both.

Can say now parked safely at my SIL's

Next stop - freight company ... tomorrow morning

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Thanks Dave!

Did you end up loading it with an engine crane??? I may be unloading it with one on my own so any tips are welcome.

Simplicity
18th January 2015, 09:06 PM
Dale when are are you unloading.
As I maybe be able to help out
Given enough time

DaveTTC
18th January 2015, 09:23 PM
My tip is to use 2

With a standard crane you realky need to have it at max kg lift which means short reach.

We had some issues with the tail gate on the trailer as it would open but not come off

If you can lift it clear of the trailer floor and drive out from underneath it that is probably the best option.

To manouvre around your work shop you can lower it onto the outrigger legs on your crane and use it as a trolley while the hook still shares the load. Less likely to tip the crane this way.

My biggest advice .... get stinky and Tankstand to give you a hand. Hell if they come and you put on a bbq I'll even be in it ;)

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

DaveTTC
18th January 2015, 09:24 PM
No we didnt use a crane, just a bit of man power lol

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

DaveTTC
18th January 2015, 09:34 PM
Just a bit of muscle that was all

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/18/89f7e5db244aba53ee9e0a04416bef07.jpg

Damn was meant to photoshop that crane outhttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/18/4d80b647a9bd4a57058b5f6a675e4d84.jpg

But there was still some hard yakka

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/18/37d4cdc9f9c1e48cf712fd9c75167b16.jpg

After it was all said and done the next debate was over the age and if the 'serial number' was part of a date....????

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/18/a4661cc88be85f2d338028c4f92d21d8.jpg

For anyone who might now here is some more i for in the pic
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/18/cbe90035db20230c15d2c774d1d614f3.jpg

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DSEL74
18th January 2015, 09:42 PM
Simplicity - Depending on when it gets to the depo. It will probably be here next day maybe earlier. My neighbour going to bring it back here in his F100, not sure if he will be able to stay to unload or just drop the trailer and head back to work. I have moved since you last came around in case you hadn't realised.

Dave thanks for the tips. You boys are welcome around for a BBQ anytime.

DSEL74
18th January 2015, 09:51 PM
It is a early 1900's machine. Around 1908 from memory, the first ones had locking wheels on the front for a few years, mine has the locking levers on the back. The design was really changed by the 40's so it can't be 1942 if that is what you were referring to.

Simplicity
18th January 2015, 10:11 PM
Hi Dale
I'm available all this week from about 5pm onwards except Thursday at this stage
Ye I know you have moved pm me if you need me
Matt

DaveTTC
18th January 2015, 10:29 PM
It is a early 1900's machine. Around 1908 from memory, the first ones had locking wheels on the front for a few years, mine has the locking levers on the back. The design was really changed by the 40's so it can't be 1942 if that is what you were referring to.

Or as the first '4' is smaller and set up a little I was pondering April 1924

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DSEL74
19th January 2015, 05:41 AM
If you get a chance can you tell me what the serial number is. It should be located on the end of the table. It may or may not match the number on the brass plate.

DaveTTC
19th January 2015, 08:28 AM
Morning Dale,

In this instance the number appears to be the same

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/18/96152158635f62390d962d6a7536483f.jpg

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DSEL74
19th January 2015, 09:03 AM
From my research Crescent were a bit funny with how they applied their serial numbers. They are actually singular order numbers.

How this works is when a machine or group of machines are ordered from the factory they get allocated a number. So if I ordered my jointer, plus a bandsaw, plus several other machines they would have sequential serial numbers. This may have been great for the accountant but crates confusion for us now.

So the number could have been applied to a new machine that wasn't yet built and had to be produced which may have had a 12mth lead time, or it could be old stock sitting on the floor for a few years. 10 Jointers could have been produced and sitting awaiting sale but the machine closest to the door gets sent out first and gets stamped without regard to order of production of the batch.

As the numbers are across all machines you have no idea if yours is the first or second, or millionth of that type & model of machine sold.
If the assumption is that the first machine was sold marked 00001 then mine was the 19424 machine ordered.

DSEL74
20th January 2015, 10:15 PM
Guys she is safely in her new home. Thanks to everyone who helped, especially Dave.

Thanks Simplicity for the last minute help getting it in the shed and across the room, I only could get it so far on my own, Reasonably easy with a second set of hands.

DaveTTC
20th January 2015, 11:02 PM
Now the next question . Will you do a complete restore

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

DSEL74
20th January 2015, 11:21 PM
Eventually, first thing is to get it up & running blades sharpened. I want to make a guard and the hold down.

Tankstand
21st January 2015, 06:33 AM
That was quick!
No pics?
I hope all four straps held? I didn't have any strips of wood wide enough to sit on top of the casting.

DSEL74
21st January 2015, 07:49 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/52762f1cb9a58a4f5ba1786ce87a751a.jpg

Simplicity
21st January 2015, 08:33 AM
It's going to be a fantastic side board table once Dale gets in all polished and pin striped up in the shed

DSEL74
21st January 2015, 09:05 AM
Not just pinstriped, it also going to get sign writing "THIS IS NOT A BENCH"

Simplicity
21st January 2015, 09:13 AM
With a coffee warmer on the side

DSEL74
21st January 2015, 12:37 PM
It's got some big coffee rings on it already thanks.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/336ba0696b01fcea87cdbad24de2f3ed.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/bea4b22d8fa0d966a570759e728e89ec.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/a0c6f4b6d583451689933ba953a472df.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/b6b1469bb465a6223d2953de5c616d02.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/356547f39d4bff9104ad6e4a4d8956b6.jpg

DSEL74
21st January 2015, 12:39 PM
I couldn't help my self....scraper & wire brushing followed by a scotchbrite pad.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/5b917ddfc64e5735cee5366fbabb94d2.jpg

Don't know what left those rings but their there for good it looks.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/7a6552fdae2cdbfca325a0dbd3e608b1.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/d310a3978de777e1238eea4c4d116b1a.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/20/d08a97b6adf7c84bf03c0186add158bd.jpg

DaveTTC
21st January 2015, 01:26 PM
My guess. Four litre tin of paint or the likes there of

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

DSEL74
21st January 2015, 01:52 PM
Yes that is a good assumption, but what causes the mark? Maybe galvanic reaction between the tin and the cast iron?? The ring left a mark in the cast surface not just on it.

DSEL74
22nd January 2015, 12:07 PM
I can only suspect the original wentcinto another machine and this one put in the jointer before sale at some point, therefore keeping the better head and getting rid of the unsafe one.

The cutter is a round clam shell design, square centre block with rounded segment on the outside. Notorious for being unsafe and throwing bits at you. So I will be on the lookout to change it with something affordable. I doubt I would find the original in Australia and shipping from USA will be $$$$$

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/21/0daf90a98ac4a95985c12ed64b626055.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/21/e5eaa7da0bac4a98507791b12a8cfa12.jpg

Upper part of second top done.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/21/e2866e023764998850eedcf8c81ff0e5.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/21/b675b86290e5094bc3070ee79e373d17.jpg

DaveTTC
22nd January 2015, 03:50 PM
Are you coming to my get together on the weekend .....

Cant remember if I asked already?

You can check out some of my steel while your here. You should get in touch with the guy who imports the spiral cutters. He may be able to put you onto someone that is up grading and you could score the old one.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DSEL74
22nd January 2015, 04:59 PM
I have other commitments, but I would have liked to have come & checked out your machines.

DSEL74
23rd January 2015, 12:17 PM
Just for fun. 4"Gilbro on top. Some how I don't think it is a direct scale up.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/22/2347eaa33aeb1b3c2e6d18c6aa2b9ba7.jpg

DaveTTC
23rd January 2015, 12:20 PM
Rather cute

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

KBs PensNmore
23rd January 2015, 12:41 PM
You might want to separate them, as you know how these can multiply:D.