PDA

View Full Version : crochet hook

doug3030
17th January 2015, 05:21 PM
We were visiting one of my girlfriend's friends this morning. She was crocheting with a hook that had a break in the plastic handle about 3/4" up the handle. She had splinted it with two bobby-pins and some masking tape and was just crocheting on. Well my lathe was out and in use for a change so I kidnapped the broken hook and sent back what is in the picture below; her original hook and a brand-new custom-built hairy oak handle. She says it is the most comfortable thing she has ever used to crochet.

Now I am hoping that this does not start a spate of broken crochet hooks amongst the girlfriend's friends. It seems everyone is envious.

It does not take much to make some people very happy.

Cheers

Doug

KBs PensNmore
17th January 2015, 11:19 PM
Nice one, it's not only a repair job that needs something like this, I help out at the Day Centre here, and have a few clients that use something like that, disabled and elderly alike use them. Make a few and see how the sales go at markets or wherever.
Kryn

doug3030
18th January 2015, 12:01 AM
Nice one, it's not only a repair job that needs something like this, I help out at the Day Centre here, and have a few clients that use something like that, disabled and elderly alike use them.

Hi Kryn,

I was not going to mention it but since you brought it up the lady I repaired the hook for has an acquired brain injury which does affect her coordination etc. It is very much a credit to her that she was doing fine crochet at all especially with the state of the crochet hook before I kidnapped it. She admitted that the bobby pins and masking tape adding extra thickness to the bottom of the handle made it easier to use even if it was a bit wobbly. The original handle was very thin and the same size along its length. The quality of the steel hook is quite good though. I have already turned down requests to re-handle two other broken crochet hooks because the hooks themselves are not of sufficient quality to bother with.

I agree that you could probably do well at a market with a couple of sets of high quality crochet hooks set into a nice timber presentation box but you would actually have to find the brand that has good quality steel hooks and cr@p handles, or alternately find a source of handleless hooks.

In our circle of friends we have a number of people with varying degrees of physical impairment, including two ladies who are wheelchair-bound. One is pretty independent, the other is not. I seem to find myself cutting little ramps so they can get their chairs over certain door jambs and sliding screen tracks at places they go to. I have got a couple of jobs to do for the "more independent" one, including a playing card holder and putting oversized custom handles on a few steak knife blanks.

I consider myself fortunate to have a very diverse group of friends with varying degrees of disabilities/dietary needs, health issues etc where we all work together to help each other. I fully understand where you are coming from, Kryn.

Cheers

Doug

KBs PensNmore
18th January 2015, 06:01 PM
One of the ladies I was referring to, has spinabifida and in a motorized wheel chair, she does some lovely work. Another client/friend is the one I made the trailers for, "Not Really Toys" listed in the toys section, he also has a cup holder mounted to his wheelchair as he can only use his right arm, I get a great feeling helping those in need. Tried to join the local "Technical Aids for Disabled" but they wanted me to go to Adelaide for meetings and such, then no guarantee that I would be accepted, so I just do what I can.
Kryn