PDA

View Full Version : Are rough cut spindle and bowl blanks OK

MAI
20th January 2015, 07:49 AM
I'm chainsaw milling some Cedrus deodar (AKA Himalayan cedar) logs in Melbourne. I was wondering if roughcut spindle and bowl blanks are OK or if turners prefer the blanks dressed. I can arrange for material to be put through a thicknesser and dimensioned with a tablesaw or bandsaw but this is extra expense. If rough cut from the chainsaw mill is OK, this saves time and money.

With respect to rough cut, are log sections cut from log halves ok for bowls? Perhaps with the square corners trimmed? Or are the neat round cylindrical sections what's required. And can spindle blanks be cut freehand with a chainsaw or is this too rough?

Mobyturns
20th January 2015, 08:08 AM
Depends upon the turner, what machinery they have & the project. Turners have pretty long pockets. The more work you do the more you will have to ask for them if selling. I'm not familiar with Cedrus deodar (AKA Himalayan cedar) or how it performs but generally sealing end grain to prevent shakes & splits is more important to a wood turner than the shape of the blank.

Sawdust Maker
20th January 2015, 08:23 AM
most of us don't need it prettied up

The ones I do for myself are usually straight off the chainsaw and 'round' is something I've yet to master with said saw

Paul39
20th January 2015, 11:40 AM
most of us don't need it prettied up

The ones I do for myself are usually straight off the chainsaw and 'round' is something I've yet to master with said saw

I'm with the above. Blanks I'm going to use soon I cut the length a bit longer than the diameter, split down the pith, cut the corners off, done.

Things I will use later I will cut twice as long as the diameter, split down the pith, paint the end grain. and stack out of the sun split side down.

This allows for some splitting or checking.

If you have a band saw you could make some nice rounds and dip them in wax, and offer them at maybe twice the rough cut ones just to see what sells.

tore
20th January 2015, 12:56 PM
5-6" thick slabs 20-30" long is ok can do the rest myself

orraloon
20th January 2015, 03:32 PM
This article is a rough idea of how to cut turning blanks. Sealing is also important as no turner will buy blanks that are splitting.
Plenty other info on line.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/lumber/from-trees-to-turning-blanks/

Regards
John