26th January 2015, 10:59 AM
Hi guys,
I bought this blank a while ago, I think it had a label
but seems to have gone , any ideas on what sort of
timber it is! The shavings look like tobacco:o

Happy australia day to all:aussie5:

Toymaker Len
26th January 2015, 12:28 PM
I haven't had any to work but it looks like wenge.

orraloon
26th January 2015, 12:37 PM
Bubinga perhaps.
Regards
John

bench1holio
26th January 2015, 12:51 PM
Definitely Cocobolo.

dai sensei
26th January 2015, 05:50 PM
+1 Cocobolo

artme
27th January 2015, 06:04 PM
+2 Cocobolo. When polished it will looke brilliant. Always has great depth to the finish.

smiife
27th January 2015, 07:00 PM
Definitely Cocobolo.

+1 Cocobolo

+2 Cocobolo. When polished it will looke brilliant. Always has great depth to the finish.

Thanks guys,
I think you are right.....cocobolo
It turns really nice, smells like something,, but I just
can, t put my finger on it?
It sands beautifully and finished with eee and glow
looks fantastic,!!!
Thanks for your thoughts:2tsup:

dai sensei
27th January 2015, 09:32 PM
Watch the dust. Cocobolo is the only timber I am aware of that everyone is allergic to, just some take longer to exhibit signs, as it builds in the bloodstream. Sometimes only a rash but other times some people have massive reactions, including inflammation of the airways. Always use dust control, breathing protection, and never turn amongst others without protection. It is amongst a list of timbers banned at many clubs for that reason.

smiife
28th January 2015, 07:57 PM
everyone[/B] is allergic to, just some take longer to exhibit signs, as it builds in the bloodstream. Sometimes only a rash but other times some people have massive reactions, including inflammation of the airways. Always use dust control, breathing protection, and never turn amongst others without protection. It is amongst a list of timbers banned at many clubs for that reason.

Hi neil,
I had read or heard that It is a dodgy timber to turn
and to be carefull,,, I kept the dust mask on all the time!
Thanks for the warning,,,,,, very much appreciated

Cliff Rogers
28th January 2015, 09:57 PM
Does it have a floral smell that smells a bit like honeycomb?

artful bodger
28th January 2015, 10:04 PM
Phew!
Glad it wasn't tobacco and you rolled yourself a smoke from the shavings, just in case it was.

mark david
28th January 2015, 11:11 PM
Looks also alot like Indian rosewood.
It is a member of the Dalbergia species as is cocobolo and referred to as "rosewoods" as when freshly cut smell just like roses, Have used a few species of rosewood's, Brazillian, Indian, tulipwood and kingwood.They are all beautiful timbers with a fragrance to match.
When worked the smell is beautiful and quite pungent.

Mobyturns
29th January 2015, 09:37 AM
Looks also alot like Indian rosewood.
It is a member of the Dalbergia species as is cocobolo and referred to as "rosewoods" as when freshly cut smell just like roses, Have used a few species of rosewood's, Brazillian, Indian, tulipwood and kingwood.They are all beautiful timbers with a fragrance to match.

I was thinking the same, but not having turned much of either I wasn't going to comment.

The Indian Rosewood or Penny leaf - Dalbergia sissoo, I have turned was highly figured so hard to tell. Cocobolo is Dalbergia retusa; then there is East Indian Rosewood - Dalbergia latifolia; Kingwood - Dalbergia cearensis all very similar.

Have a look at http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/kingwood/ and check out the "Related Species" down the page. Weight is a pretty good identification characteristic with the rosewoods.

smiife
29th January 2015, 08:07 PM
Looks alot like Indian rosewood.

Hi mark,
Yeah,, It could be a member of rosewood, didn, t really smell
like roses though,,, and I do rememder now! it was bought as
Cocobolo

Phew!
Glad it wasn't tobacco and you rolled yourself a smoke from the shavings, just in case it was.

Hi artful,
Strange the way the shavings looked like tabacco:o

Does it have a floral smell that smells a bit like honeycomb?

Hi cliff,
Yeah,, I think It did smell a bit sweet and floraly

smiife
29th January 2015, 08:11 PM
I was thinking the same, but not having turned much of either I wasn't going to comment.

The Indian Rosewood or Penny leaf - Dalbergia sissoo, I have turned was highly figured so hard to tell. Cocobolo is Dalbergia retusa; then there is East Indian Rosewood - Dalbergia latifolia; Kingwood - Dalbergia cearensis all very similar.

Have a look at http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/kingwood/ and check out the "Related Species" down the page. Weight is a pretty good identification characteristic with the rosewoods.

Hi moby,
Thanks for the info ,, the blank was quite heavy
for a small piece of wood