PDA

View Full Version : That womans back!

Jenny Brandis
11th July 2005, 02:11 AM
You helped me so much finding a lathe that now I have a new question (or two)
How do you keep your tools sharp? I have a white grinding wheel but am scared that it will be like my sharpening carving knives - I blunt them :(
What native trees can I cut up to get wood for turning?
Can the wood from a boab tree be turned?
It is humid here from Nov - Mar so should I just leave the wood lying on the concrete verandah? Can't very well drag it into the dining room.
Can I use the fallen branches from a African Mahogony (have one in back yard)

La truciolara
11th July 2005, 05:33 AM
I think it is not so much the colour of the grinding wheel rather than the grit.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

In any case… do not stay too long on the wheel without cooling your tools. Just dip the stip in water any now an then<o:p></o:p>

Kev Y.
11th July 2005, 09:35 AM
Jenny, Timbecon ( they are on your side of the island) have a chisel grinding jig (cj-04) for $39.90.

I have one myself and fid it just the duck **** for keeping the chisels sharp

Kev Y.
11th July 2005, 09:40 AM
What native trees can I cut up to get wood for turning?

as long as you have the appropriate permits, you should be able to recycle any native timber you find

Can I use the fallen branches from a African Mahogony (have one in back yard)

NO.. send them to me ;) :D

CHJ
11th July 2005, 09:58 AM
Jenny There is a shot of my two home made grinding jigs in this UK forum (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5360)thread if they are of any guidance to what you need.

outback
11th July 2005, 01:46 PM
You helped me so much finding a lathe

What! We actually helped someone. Wow, we gotta get this thread into the best of the best. :D