PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Kimberley Style

Jenny Brandis
11th July 2005, 02:49 AM
I have come to the conclusion that Australia is too big.

To aid my budding interest in bobbin making I decided to order a bottle of Shellawax from Perth.

Day one - email company with order for one 500ml bottle of shellawax
Day two - salesman (Geoff) emailed to say that the package is wrapped and ready to go
Day two - Geoff emailed to say that it is flammable so needs to go via courier and as dangerous goods - freight $34 + $10 DG fee
Day two - emailed Geoff to add to purchase (freight justification) - 2nd bottle and grinding wheel
Day four - Geoff emailed asking for answer to his second email of day two
Day four - forwarded my day two answer as the original must have got lost in cyberspace
Day nine - Geoff emails asking for answer to his second email of day two
Day nine - copy and pasted day four's forwarded email to geoff
Day ten - Geoff emails receipt of day nine email from me. Promises to send same day.
Day ten - courier company pick up parcel from Geoff (Friday). Geoff emails to let me know it will be here on Monday.
Day seventeen - emailed Geoff asking where it is
Day seventeen - Geoff contacts courier - their records show it as picked up on day 10, left Perth day 10 and in Kununurra
Day seventeen - I contact courier - their records show it as picked up on day 10, packed on NW truck on day 10, but also sitting on their loading dock in Perth on day 13
Day seventeen - courier rings to say item was unpacked from NW truck on day 10 as truck too full and DG's come off. Will be on next Fridays truck
Day seventeen - emailed Geoff up to date info and scan of my first bobbin (getting quite friendly now)
Day eighteen - Geoff emails back - yes, that is ONE, now go turn a few more while you wait for parcel
Day nineteen (Friday) - courier leaves Perth with MY parcel
Day twentytwo (Monday) - courier delivers parcel - wrong size grinding wheel and no requested catalogue

And *they* wonder why people go Troppo up here!

TimberNut
11th July 2005, 11:25 AM
Hi Jenny,

I nearly fell over when I saw this! I'm in Sydney, and I ordered some stuff over internet on Thursday arvo. it's now Monday (2 work days later), and if I don't see it today I'll be wondering why. Guess I must be used to living in the 'big smoke'. 3 work days is the most I've ever had to wait for any 'stock items' to be delivered to my door. Usually 2.

I looked up Kunannara on the net, and now I understand! I'll bet it's a lovely place, but as much as I'd like a bit more space and decent scenery, I'm a bit too used to having everything available nearby.

Was planning on getting outta Sydney one day (so i can build a BIG shed for my toys) but maybe I'd better factor this into the decision. The internet makes remote shopping easier, but if you have issues, then delay times blow out considerably.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

How are the bobbins coming along? Was pleased to see you post pictures of your first effort. Put more up when you can.

Ian.

Barry_White
11th July 2005, 01:21 PM
Last year I built a DIY projector and had to order some components from USA.

I placed the order on the Internet on the 9th of the month and recieved them on the 15th of the same month delivered to my door and I live in the middle of NSW 55klms from the nearest town.

I placed an order for a piece of toughened glass with a local supplier in Tamworth and it took me five weeks to get it and i had to go the 55klms to pick it up.

And they think they are effecient.

bitingmidge
11th July 2005, 02:35 PM
Twice I have ordered a piece of machinery from a large supplier in a capital city near me, to be delivered (125k's).

On both occasions the equipment was in stock and was courier delivered.

On both occasions I also ordered parts/accessories from Lee Valley in Canada, by normal airmail, not courier.

Once, the Canadian parcel arrived on the same day as the Brisbane delivery.

Once it arrived two days earlier!

Kununurra is nearly half way to Canada (going the other way), so I reckon that should be your first port of call, then for adhesives, UBeaut stuff and so on, go direct to the manufacturer!!

This is NOT a crack at all Aussie companies. I continue to deal with all who provide decent service and there are quite a few of them. I just go elsewhere now if I get that sort of service, because just as I have found that buying nice tools makes a difference to my work, buying from people who care about what they are doing also makes a difference. (An expensive difference I may add, because I like buying stuff from them!)

Cheers,

P :D

treefrog
11th July 2005, 03:55 PM
I am in Melbourne and have been ordering stuff from Jim.

Always get my stuff within a day or 2.

His website is http://www.cws.au.com

Even though your further away I can't see why Jim can't deliver to you stuff within the week.

Good Luck with it.

Joe

Little Festo
12th July 2005, 03:48 PM
Jenny, maybe you should phone them next time, is that the "Geoff" from Carbatech - they have a 1800 number - on the back of their catalogue - I am unable to put my hands on my catalogue at the moment so cannot give you the number. Timbrecon also have a 1800 number. It is better to talk over the phone than to swop emails. Living in Darwin I know all about waiting for deliveries and problems with some freight companies.

All the best and keep up the good work with the bobbins.

Peter

macca2
12th July 2005, 08:31 PM
This may help
Carbatec Perth.........1800 886 657
Timbecon.........1300 880 996

Macca

outback
12th July 2005, 08:42 PM
I find it heaps easier to do most of my shopping via the interenet, my experience so far.

Ubeaut stuff, order it online, over the phone whatever, it gets here pretty quick.

Hand tools, order online from LV, heaps quicker/cheaper.

Adhesives, other than hide glue, real pain in the posterior. :D

Big Stuff, too expensive, too slow, too scared of SWMBO so I don't get any. :D

Little Festo
13th July 2005, 11:12 AM
I have ordered stuff over the internet but I feel that it much better to actally talk to sales staff sometimes, seems to be a lot more interactive than swopping emails - a lot quicker to sort out any queries etc, but if you kow EXACTLY what you want the internet would be fine. Most places will let order internet specials over the phone anyway.

Peter

treefrog
13th July 2005, 03:21 PM
The good thing about Jim Carrols Online Shop (http://www.cws.au.com) is he dispatches the goods purchased either on the same day or the next day depending when you order. So if you ordered stuff at night with my experience its sent next day. The other good thing is Jim has regular specials marked in red through out his site which gets updated every day or 2 or 3. You can also call for advice as Jim is a fellow turner.

I don't know many websites that ship your goods within 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

Joe

La truciolara
13th July 2005, 03:52 PM
Australia is just next door for me :rolleyes:

That is where I am buying my lathes from. About two months delivery lead time just because of shipping...
BUT IT IS WORTH IT :)