PDA

View Full Version : Viceroy Bowl Lathe

Bagpuss
3rd February 2015, 06:46 PM
Hi All,

I have recently purchased an old Viceroy Bowl Lathe the motor is 3phase, so I have installed a VFD - which works fine; however once I start to turn the speed drops off to a stand still until I remove the chisel. Any thoughts?

Regards

yowie
4th February 2015, 06:06 AM
Possibly the max torque or max power or max current setting are set too low or don't match the motor. There should be some settings to match the VSD to the motor name plate, then set the others to around 120 to 150%. If this doesn't fix it, it starts to get complicated...

Bagpuss
4th February 2015, 04:21 PM
Possibly the max torque or max power or max current setting are set too low or don't match the motor. There should be some settings to match the VSD to the motor name plate, then set the others to around 120 to 150%. If this doesn't fix it, it starts to get complicated...

Thanks Yowie,
tried playing with a few of the settings with no luck, the VSD allows a auto motor tune, which I did; but now going out on Over current, tried to reset the factory settings but no luck so far, I've sent an email to the manufacture to get some help

thanks again

nalmo
4th February 2015, 09:01 PM
Look in the manual to see if there is a setting for CT (Constant Torque).

This article (http://www.danfoss.com/nr/rdonlyres/1fde93be-95cf-46f9-b2ae-6f76c69594cb/0/vfdlesson4.pdf) helps explain some of the variables.

woolclasser
4th February 2015, 10:47 PM
what are your bearings like.my lathe was doing the same thing recently, a set of new bearings and things were as good as gold
jim

Bagpuss
5th February 2015, 09:10 AM
Look in the manual to see if there is a setting for CT (Constant Torque).

This article (http://www.danfoss.com/nr/rdonlyres/1fde93be-95cf-46f9-b2ae-6f76c69594cb/0/vfdlesson4.pdf) helps explain some of the variables.

Hi nalmo,

the he only setting it shows is a Torque boost setting, which I've changed with no increase in torque.

Bagpuss
5th February 2015, 09:12 AM
what are your bearings like.my lathe was doing the same thing recently, a set of new bearings and things were as good as gold
jim

Hi Jim,

the bearings feel fine, the lathe got up to speed without any problem, but once pressure is applied, the speed drops off.

tore
5th February 2015, 09:45 PM
Hi
Have you changed the motor to delta connection changing it to 240V
Cheers
Can you put a pic of the inverter or let us know what brand it is?

Bagpuss
6th February 2015, 07:07 PM
Hi
Have you changed the motor to delta connection changing it to 240V
Cheers
Can you put a pic of the inverter or let us know what brand it is?

Hi,
i've just changed the motor to delta, and alls good.

cheers