PDA

View Full Version : Wood from Tibouchina Alstonville

dai sensei
11th July 2005, 07:18 PM
My neighbour used to have a beautiful Tibouchina Alstonville tree out the front in full flower (bright purple). Unfortunately for the tree and the beauty of the neighbourhood, he ripped it out on the weekend.

It was a very old tree that had been trimmed back many times over its life. Its main trunk was 400mm dia branching into 3 no 300mm stems before splitting into many smaller branches. The main trunk was mashed by the machine that removed it, but the 300mm stems are still in tact.

I scored one of these branches around 1.5m long. I then cut the end off where it split into the many smaller braches and wet turned it into a bowl with 35mm sides. It has a creamy yellow colour with small specks of black and an interesting grain. I've put it in a bag of sawdust and will take another look in 6 months.

I'm thinking of also taking the remaining branches, before it's taken to the tip, but wondering how it is going to dry. Has anyone done any turning in the timber? Does it warp or crack excessively?

Thanks