PDA

View Full Version : Bunya pine cone?

chuck1
10th February 2015, 10:30 PM
Hi all has anyone tried turning a bunya pine cone? I was given one today, it's a fair size 200 diameter 250 mm long. It's very green at the moment.

dai sensei
11th February 2015, 12:10 AM
I saw a turned piece ages ago in a NZ club newsletter that was amazing. I knew was some sort of pine cone but huge and was later told it was from a Bunya Nut. Who ever it was had turned through the cone and nuts, and I was interested at the time in how it was "held" together, stabilised or resin filled etc but never got an answer.

Willy Nelson
11th February 2015, 12:22 AM
I don't mean to be rude, but I think you need some big nuts to turn them :-

Willy
jarrahland

pommyphil
11th February 2015, 06:31 AM
They fall to bits very easily, I just eat them. Phil

artme
11th February 2015, 01:51 PM
Can't see how turning it green would help as the thing would need to be stabilized.

Stabilizing while green would be problematic due to moisture.

As Phil said, the cones fall apart very easily when ripe = dry. I suppose if you like jigsaw puzzles you could always glue it back together!!:D:q

dai sensei
11th February 2015, 05:49 PM
Found it :2tsup:, but my memory is crap :-. It was from the Jan2013 Tauranga Wood Crafters Newsletter, just a slice not a turned item, by Roy Tregilgas

smiife
11th February 2015, 08:39 PM
Hi charlie,
Wow! What a coincidence, I saw one today and asked what
it was,, I don, t think i would bother turning one,, as said just
eat it !

dai sensei
11th February 2015, 10:27 PM
I'm thinking cut it in 20mm slices and glue them down with PVA on some marine ply arranged to minimise gaps. Lay flat somewhere (where the rats/mice can't get to it) and let it dry/shrink etc. Once dry, pour coloured epoxy casting resin all over it to fill gaps and hold it all together, then level it/sand/finish it as a table top or something like that.

chuck1
15th February 2015, 11:43 PM
I had left the nut outside since the first post and I got back from seeing my wife in hospital this arvo and it had self destructed! Wife is getting better, and it contained 34 nuts that are in the fridge!