PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah bowl origin

emar
16th February 2015, 01:40 AM
Hi there I'm trying to find anything I can about this piece that has crossed my path, it was purchased in Perth WA and has this signature on the back and I wondered if anyone might recognise it. Thanks in advance.

rod1949
16th February 2015, 10:51 AM
Have you googled?

The surname is not that defined, can you define it?

emar
16th February 2015, 12:27 PM
Yes I have tried googling it :). I wasn't able to get a better photo sorry.

Cliff Rogers
16th February 2015, 01:10 PM
Try this site.

http://www.woodturnerswa.com

dai sensei
16th February 2015, 02:25 PM
Given the chunky style, foot mount left on and some minor sanding marks left, it was probably purchased at some local turning club event and made by one of their members. IMHO it doesn't look like it was made by a known pro.

Willy Nelson
16th February 2015, 07:31 PM
Given the chunky style, foot mount left on and some minor sanding marks left, it was probably purchased at some local turning club event and made by one of their members. IMHO it doesn't look like it was made by a known pro.

Crikeys! Large clumsy foot! Sanding marks! Not a Pro. Oh NO, Neil thinks its one of MINE :o

Nope sorry, not mine

emar
18th February 2015, 12:10 PM
Thanks for your input so far. Seeing as this bowl is probably 20 years old I don't hold out much hope for finding the original maker. However would anyone be able to tell me about the black circles, what are they and how are they made please?

Also if anyone in Perth would has the time/inclination to restore it for me then please let me know. The more I look at it the more I think this is best left to someone with experience.

smiife
18th February 2015, 08:19 PM
Hi emar,
The rings look like they have been ebonized
As for restoration ...i will nominate willy, he is the man
you need!

Willy Nelson
23rd February 2015, 10:41 PM
Hi emar,
The rings look like they have been ebonized
As for restoration ...i will nominate willy, he is the man
you need!

Hi Emar
I may be able to help, send me a PM if you are interested
Willy

emar
12th April 2015, 05:40 PM
Hi there, after all the excellent advice I received I decided to give it a go myself.

I gave it a light sand with a 320 sanding block. Then I applied 2 coats of 'Feast Watson fine buffing oil' with some 000 steel wool.

We are happy with the results. Thanks for giving me the confidence to have a go. In all likelihood I would have just varnished it.

dai sensei
12th April 2015, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately you are now probably going to have steel wool fibres in all the cracks that will eventually go rusty. Make sure you blow out all the cracks with air pressure to minimise it. Next time use one of those green cleaning pads in lieu of steel wool

emar
12th April 2015, 09:23 PM
I just followed the instructions on the can to use the steel wool. A few fibres did come off but when I did the final wipe down they've come out then. I might get the vaccuum out and do the cracks just to be sure though!