PDA

View Full Version : Need wipers on the face shield

orraloon
16th February 2015, 05:40 PM
Hi,
Well I have rough turned wet wood before but this one had me drenched. I kept a wet rag handy to wipe the face shield every 15 to 20 seconds or so. Water was dripping off the handle of the gouge also. Plenty of resin and very stickey too. First time I,ve ended with a puddle on the floor. I guess its down to the wet summer we have had. The wood is a chunk of Mexican Pine. Had it cut down at great expense a month ago. My own fault as I planted it 20 odd years ago. I would not normally bother woth pine but as it was planted by me I kept one round that made 2 bowl blanks. I will let the other one dry off some before it gets chucked up as that was a very messy job. Just have to hope rough bowl dries without too many dramas.
Regards
John

Christos
16th February 2015, 05:46 PM
An interesting thought process. At least you are not thinking about a what if. :rolleyes:

Uncle Al
16th February 2015, 05:48 PM
You will be best part of a foot taller by the time you finish turning that bowl. It looks to have fairly interesting grain, hope it doesn't crack while drying. Maybe bury it in the mound of shavings to slow the drying process down a bit. (Don't trip over the bowl in the shavings, 'safety first' as they say.)

Alan...

orraloon
17th February 2015, 11:19 AM
I am a bit reluctant about packing in shavings as my past attempts at that all ended up with blue mould.
Regards
John

Cliff Rogers
17th February 2015, 11:49 AM
Wet pine is a bit of fun, good therapy, just stand clear of the spray.

wheelinround
17th February 2015, 02:41 PM
John all I can think is "How thin you game to go" it would look awesome translucent like the Norfolk Pine bowls

Toymaker Len
17th February 2015, 09:57 PM
And what about the smell of fresh cut mexican pine? Must be one of the best.