PDA

View Full Version : Another Black Locust Burl bowl

dai sensei
18th February 2015, 12:53 AM
This one survived :U. Rough turned a year ago, I finish turned this one last week, after a few disputes at the club over lathes. I had finished it at night except for some minor tear-out marks on the inside. It was late and only 5-8mm thick so I didn't want to stuff up the last cut being tired, so put a my coat over the piece, then left my gear next to the lathe intending to finish it the next morning. Well a moron who wanted to use "his lathe" (hmm there were another 18 exactly the same) so undid the chuck by grabbing the bowl (moving it in the tecknatool jaws) and moving it and all my gear to another lathe. Let's just say I was less than impressed :~

After ~2 hours of trying to get it running true again, without success, I reverted to hand sanding the marks out. Took another 2.5 hours to hand sand it to my desired 1500 finish, it looked polished without any polish. Turned it over to remove foot and this time no problems, unlike this one http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=192192.

I've been putting Kunos oil on it ever since. Still needs a really good buff as there are some oil lines still visible I'm not happy with. In hindsight I think I should have used satin NCL spray, the oil has definitely made it darker, but I'm still pretty happy with it. Plenty of 3d figure in it that doesn't show in the photos. I'm heading off again traveling tomorrow and tonight is the last night I access to my photographic set-up.

Cheers

chuck1
18th February 2015, 05:48 AM
Wow comes up nice. Why can't people leave things alone.

powderpost
18th February 2015, 11:34 AM
This one survived :U.

:2tsup: :2tsup:
Jim

Bruce White
18th February 2015, 11:55 AM
End result certainly worth your effort. I trust the moron was advised in a clear, succinct manner that his behavior was unacceptable?:2tsup:

dai sensei
18th February 2015, 12:43 PM
I trust the moron was advised in a clear, succinct manner that his behavior was unacceptable?:2tsup:

Of course :rolleyes:, although when he suggested I had a poor attitude, I was tempted to progress the conversation with him against against a wall :~. But given he was some what older than me and had an obvious lack of metal faculties, I thought I should do the right thing and calm down, after a few choice words and the glaring eyes of a demon of course :B

smiife
18th February 2015, 08:10 PM
Hi neil,
Very nice bowl mate, well done
Stay safe on your travels:2tsup:

Mobyturns
19th February 2015, 08:14 AM
I trust the moron was advised in a clear, succinct manner that his behavior was unacceptable?:2tsup:

Neil nice work on the bowl, gorgeous timber.

Unfortunately with clubs / mens sheds you have to make & stick to rules or things get out of hand very fast. I think you will find most clubs have rules to prevent "barring" of lathes across two or more work shop sessions. So whilst it may seem innocent & practical to just carry on your project in the next session it actually starts a series of issues that create ill will and often gets way out of hand as it almost did in this instance - "I was tempted to progress the conversation with him against against a wall." Seems Neil may have been the "outsider" in this group as most turners I have seen in club situations are creatures of habit & prefer “their” lathe. Those familiar with a group tend to negotiate lathe choices for certain projects. I would suggest getting there early next time to make sure you are entrenched on the lathe before they have a chance to take your bowl off. :wink: A little etiquette & good will from both parties goes a long way in a club.

Bluegum
20th February 2015, 05:41 PM
Nice bowl Neil. Great finish. I feel your frustration and commend you on remaining as calm as you could. Sadly you get people like that. Had an issue at our club last year when I was informed I couldn't use one lathe on this certain day because so and so used it. One of the older club members even moved my gear from the lathe and told me to use one in a corner. I guess he figured that because I was new to the club(had only been a member for two years and the fact I was there on a Tuesday rather than a weekend)and there was a pecking order, and I had to learn my place. The committee saw sense in this and decreed that no one could book a machine and it was first it best dressed.

AngelaPetruzzi
27th February 2015, 12:06 PM
The bowl is beautiful, well done, maybe it's all the love you gave it with the hand sanding that will make it extra special for someone.
While oils do darken the timber this also helps to bring out the amazing grain and features, especially in such character piece as this one.