PDA

View Full Version : Lidded box

powderpost
28th February 2015, 11:05 PM
Back on the lathe today, first time for a while. Got the urge to attack some timber with the saw bench and glued the pieces back together. This little box measures 55mm high and 45mm diameter. Segmented using black bean and some spalted silver ash. The lid is threaded to fit the box. A bit of pine and ebony commercial banding is fitted to the box as a feature. The black bean and ash do not take a thread very well so I had to fit pieces of ebony to take the thread. Feel free to comment, good or bad.

Jim

Tangoman
1st March 2015, 06:51 AM
Jim,

That's absolutely stunning !

Cam

Allan at Wallan
1st March 2015, 09:43 AM
How could anyone think of something bad to say
about that !

Great result - beyond excellent.

Allan

dai sensei
1st March 2015, 02:41 PM
Looks great to me Jim :2tsup:

I've fitted a new variable speed controller to my little Woodfast and can now have 0-4500 speed, so must try some hand chased threads soon. I was going to try it at Wagga Wagga Turnabout that just finished but didn't get time. Shame, the lidded box I made had such a good press fit it's now stuck on :-, probably have to put it in the freezer when I get home to get it off :rolleyes:

turnerted
1st March 2015, 03:43 PM
Nice one Jim . A bit of work in that.
Is it going to Turnfest?
Ted

powderpost
1st March 2015, 08:02 PM
Nice one Jim . A bit of work in that.
Is it going to Turnfest?
Ted

Thanks Ted, it could end up at turnfest. Still haven't attacked that piece you gave me.

Jim

Christos
2nd March 2015, 12:40 PM
It looks like quite a bit of work to get this little box made.

How long did it take you do make this?

powderpost
2nd March 2015, 09:58 PM
How long did it take you do make this?

Hi Christos, about two hours maybe two and a half all up, excluding waiting for glue to set. Bit hard to really know as usually have three or four jobs on the go at once. :shrug:

Jim

Tim Creeper
3rd March 2015, 09:56 AM
How could anyone think of something bad to say
about that !

Great result - beyond excellent.

Allan

I thought of something bad to say. "I didn't make it!!!" :D:D:~

Vannon
3rd March 2015, 10:25 PM
Hi Christos, about two hours maybe two and a half all up, excluding waiting for glue to set. Bit hard to really know as usually have three or four jobs on the go at once. :shrug:

Jim

Two hours?????? Wow! Stunning.

Christos
4th March 2015, 05:21 PM
....about two hours maybe two and a half all up, .....

I am guessing that you have a very good routine and setup. :2tsup:

powderpost
4th March 2015, 08:42 PM
I am guessing that you have a very good routine and setup. :2tsup:

Yes Christos, when I set up and get everything right I will stay there for a couple of weeks doing variations on a theme.

Jim

coffenup
4th March 2015, 11:22 PM
nice one there pops
regards Michael