PDA

View Full Version : red gum???

Tool Man
12th July 2005, 09:51 PM
I have managed to get my hands on some lengths of red gum and was wondering what it is like to turn?
as i have had my lathe for nearly 2 weeks now and am still awaiting the arrival of my wood turning chisels:mad: i have't had the opportunity to do much at all. The only "playing" i have done has been with pine and a regular wood working chisel so no.... no master pieces yet :D
but soon my pretty's very soon hehehe...

echnidna
12th July 2005, 10:11 PM
turns very nicely

Mulgabill
12th July 2005, 10:18 PM
Hey Tool Man,

Red Gum is a funny wood (no not laughing)http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif. It can vary so much, from curly/twisted grain to straight grains. Some Red Gum is easy to turn while others require frequent chisel sharpening and it is notorious for holding moisture even after many years. Having said all that, with patience the results can be extremely satisfying.

I do not however, recommend that you tackle turning with the ordinary short blade woodworking chisels.

Captain Chaos
13th July 2005, 01:21 AM
Hello Toolman , Redgum can be a bit awkward to turn. It is as Mulgabill says, but with patience and sharp tools the results can be very rewarding, especially if the item is is sanded down to a very smooth finish (400 grit minimum then sanding sealer applied & allowed to dry before sanding back with very fine abrasive paper. I use Webrax pads (1200 grit) . I then apply EEE Ultra Shine & polish & then Shellawax & buff to a high shine. The rewards are worth the extra effort.
Redgum can be fairly dirty to turn & sand so a good dust mask / respirator is essential. Have a go, I dont' think that you will be disappointed.
There is some beautiful fiddled redgum to be found laying in paddocks in your area, so turning timber should not be a problem.
Take good care,
Barry.