PDA

View Full Version : Wine cooler

turnerted
2nd March 2015, 01:41 PM
G'day
Here's something a bit different . The biggest challenge was finding a a bit of dry, endgrain wood that was big enough .
This is jacarandah and is 190mm high by 185mm round at the top . It would have looked better if it was bigger diameter enabling a more cone shape .The finish is DO and the insert came from one of those cheap Chinese shops.
Ted

orraloon
2nd March 2015, 03:52 PM
Turning with a practical application. Nice.:2tsup:

Christos
2nd March 2015, 04:42 PM
Nice.

You could always glue up a piece to turn.

Are you going to take this to the working with wood show to put on display. If so please include the bottle for effect. :U

wheelinround
2nd March 2015, 06:07 PM
Nice.

Are you going to take this to the working with wood show to put on display. If so please include the bottle for effect. :U

Fletty prefers Red.

chuck1
2nd March 2015, 06:19 PM
Nice work. Very innovative. Did it take long to hollow out?

smiife
2nd March 2015, 07:48 PM
Hi ted,
Looks good,,, can you make one for a 6 pack:U

mark david
2nd March 2015, 07:50 PM
A nice full bottle of Claret for the judges to sample.

I love the shape of the piece and the grain In the timber, the nice ebonised indexed decoration to the top gives a good contrast with the aluminium insert

Nice.

powderpost
2nd March 2015, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=Christos;1847913]Nice. You could always glue up a piece to turn. /QUOTE]

Or even segment?????

Jim

Cliff Rogers
3rd March 2015, 07:35 AM
Did somebody say glue? :D

Ari2
3rd March 2015, 08:27 AM
Nice job:) Always a need for a wine cooler!

turnerted
3rd March 2015, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Christos Don't know if it'll make it to the www show . I have the Kiama Wood Expo on this weekend and then a weeks sale in April.I hope it'll find a new home.
Chuck1 Probably about 11/2 hours to hollow . I ran a series of drills down it first up to 21/2" then used a woodcut tip in a homemade rig to enlarge it. Fairly easy because you can see what you're doing.
Smiif A six pack holder would be an interesting exersize in multi centre turning.
mark david The rim was random cut with a router on a swinging arm then just flamed with a blowtorch.
While walking through the local community center yesterday I noticed a large camphor had been cut down . I thought I had better not leap in there with my chain saw . Just on the offchance I went passed there this morning and found the council workers preparing to clear it all up. A quick chat with them and they were happy to cut some up to my diamensions . Came back an hour latter and picked up three lumps about 350mm diam by about 400mm long.
I have the first lump on the lathe and started roughing out another wine cooler .In about a year,if it dos'nt crack, I should have another couple of wine coolers .
Ted