PDA

View Full Version : 8 table legs, forget tradition.

artful bodger
4th March 2015, 07:20 PM
Latest job was for a designer in town who wanted 8 table legs.
Normally in the turning arena when your asked to turn table legs you'd expect a traditional type design with... beads and coves and variations of both.(which in a nutshell,defines what spindle turning is).
You also might expect to make a pencil gauge to make sure they all are the same.
Not for these 8 legs though.
Doesn't get much simpler. 720mm long, 60mm dia,half radius on the bottom of leg, top 100mm has to be a good fit into the steel tube supplied.
Getting supplied with 62mm square stock meant careful centre making on the ends was needed. Last ones I did for this bloke he wanted 45mm dia legs turned from 45mm square stock. I told him to allow some turning allowance in the future. This time I suggested 2mm is pretty lean turning allowance. Maybe you could give 5mm next time?.
Timber is Tas oak.
Chisels used. Parting tool, big sharp roughing gouge, spindle gouge for the radius and scraper to get the dia for the metal tube spot on.
No skew chisel.:o
Oh yeah, the inside of the metal tube had a sort of welding seam in it, which is why there is a small half round channel carved into the corresponding bit of timber.

smiife
4th March 2015, 08:07 PM
Well done AB,
Looking good , would have been a fun project:2tsup::2tsup:

chuck1
4th March 2015, 08:17 PM
They look great, a good cylinder like that can be harder than a traditional leg with square.

Mobyturns
4th March 2015, 11:15 PM
2 mm allowance might be OK for good grain & straight stock on smaller stock sizes. Nice work on the half rounds. What process do you prefer to get create the half round feet?

I had a similar project a few years ago for the local Girl Guides who wanted a two piece flag staff for ease of transport & indoor use only. They wanted to use walking stick fittings & lengths that exceeded the bed length of my Woodfast M908 lathe. Bit of creative thinking involved.

Christos
5th March 2015, 03:55 PM
I had a little bit of a giggle on the tight tolerances you are given. I know just for my own turning I could not get such consistence in the legs.