PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian myrtle

malbrain
17th March 2015, 10:43 AM
Hello
I am new to woodturning and was given some Tasmanian Myrtle and Sassafras blanks approx. 90x90x300mm. Would these be suitable for lidded containers with finials ? Also what finish is recommended ?\
Malbrain

orraloon
17th March 2015, 02:04 PM
Both are great turning timbers and look really good when polished up. I tend to use very simple finishes. Usually just danish oil or similar so perhaps others can advise on that bit.
Regards
John

Luke Maddux
17th March 2015, 05:39 PM
I typically consider a lidded container to be a faceplate turning application. As such, I would say that you're actually dealing with 90x90x90 cubes when you orient the grain across the bed of the lathe. I wouldn't try any finials with that size, but you could certainly get some small containers.

But that's just me... Plenty of people turn lidded containers with the grain running along the lathe. It makes for better sanding but, in my opinion, more difficult hollowing. If you go that route then yes, you definitely have plenty of wood for some tall, narrow, lidded containers with finials on par with a 12th century mosque or St Basil's Cathedral...

Regarding finish, I'm not a huge fan of the on-lathe friction finishes, but you'll likely get a lot of responses from people who are. I would finish that with 3-5 coats of an oil mixture finish (organoil danish or liberon finishing oil) and then if I wanted it to have a bit more durability I would use a carnauba wax-based polish. Both of those timbers look great with that combination.
Sassafras tends to drink a lot of oil on the first coat, so be prepared for that.

Good luck!

pommyphil
17th March 2015, 06:01 PM
If you are new to turning you might like to practice on junk, free and green wood for a few hours and save the good stuff until you master the basics.

End grain boxes are very satisfying. Enjoy :) Phil.

artful bodger
17th March 2015, 06:06 PM
You will definitely get some lidded containers out of 90x90.
Finials on the lids for a lid that size might seem to be a strange way to go for some folk, including me, but it is a free world and there is no accounting for taste.
Instead of finials you could perhaps turn shorter "handles" (for want of a better word) on top of the lids.

smiife
17th March 2015, 07:50 PM
Hello I am new to woodturning and was given some Tasmanian Myrtle and Sassafras blanks approx. 90x90x300mm. Would these be suitable for lidded containers with finials ? Also what finish is recommended ?\
Malbrain

Hi malbrain,
Lucky you ! Why doesn, t someone give me some nice blanks:no:
You could make some grinders with blanks that size, candle sticks
would be another option, cut them In to 100mm length, s and make
endgrain turned boxes, but llike has already be said, practice on some
crap timber first, I do that If i am not to sure on "how to "..make a
test piece before using the good stuff,!:2tsup:

malbrain
20th March 2015, 09:29 AM
Both are great turning timbers and look really good when polished up. I tend to use very simple finishes. Usually just danish oil or similar so perhaps others can advise on that bit.
Regards
John

Hello John
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay.
Malbrain

malbrain
20th March 2015, 09:36 AM
Hello all

Thank you for your replies and advice So sorry for the delay but between shift work family my time goes quick.
So much to look to. I will try some old radiate pin 1st

malbrain