PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Gouge's

treefrog
14th July 2005, 08:55 PM
Hello would any one be able to give me some ideas pls on what would be the ideal Bowl Gouge for bowls from 6" to 12"?

Could you grind a Roughing Gouge into a bowl Gouge?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Joe

RETIRED
14th July 2005, 09:48 PM
Short answer.

3/8 DFBTG.

Feeling suicidal on the 2nd one?

smidsy
14th July 2005, 09:58 PM
Hei Joe,
I generally work around that size and I have a Hamlet half inch bowl gouge - this gouge is listed as a standard gouge but the sides are a little higher than normal.

This was my second hamlet chisels and it is great. Razor sharp out the pack, nicely balanced, very comfortable to work with and it performs - the first time I used it was on some wet jarrah and the timber was coming off in 4 and 6 inch long shavings.

I paid $72 with handle, you can get them unhandled for about $10 less but you'd be mad because the hamlet comes with a beautiful ash handle.

http://www.hamlet-crafttools.com/ if you want to have a look.

Cheers
Paul

treefrog
14th July 2005, 10:31 PM
I just purchased a Robert Sorby RS 200KT from Jim Carrol.

Its basically 3 tools in one. Will see how I go with it. I think its trial and error and see what works for you. Thanks for the quick posts.

Feel free to add more info if you wish.

Joe

Tony Morton
14th July 2005, 10:49 PM
Hi Joe
I have been using a P&N gouge i think about half inch sharpened with shoulders swept back I use it on everything from 3 inches to twenty inches sometimes its the only thing I use,ie I complete the bowl using only the old P&N could be that i'm just lazy as there is plenty in the cupboard to choose from.
Cheers Tony

rsser
15th July 2005, 09:02 AM
If you search the forum you'll find lots of views have already been posted, with links to sites that show you grind options etc.

Size measurements vary from maker to maker and that can be a pitfall.

Deep bowls may require a longer overhang cos you may not be able to get the rest close in, so go for a thicker shaft if this is the case.