PDA

View Full Version : Question about live centre system - Maybe old Nova?

Flindersia
29th March 2015, 05:46 PM
I’ve been clearing out the estate of a family friend woodturner for a while now which has thrown up a few curly questions. Here’sanother one. This looks to me to be very similar to the current Nova live centre system. Difference being that the tapered head and stepped head are pretty much exactly the same diameter. What I’m not sure of is whether the tapered head comes off to allow the stepped head to be fitted. I know on the current Nova system the stepped head simply sits on the tapered section of the conical head. Maybe this one does as well but it seems to not be steady enough. Looks like all the bits are there and I think it would be quite useful for the odd tricky job. I don't like banging stuff around unless I know what I'm doing so I'm not going to be heavy handed with it. Has anyone ever seen or used one of these that can comment?

chuck1
29th March 2015, 06:00 PM
Oooh! Looks like the old version, if you unscrew the fitting with the lag screw it should screw on and the other end screws into the tailstock Centre.
or use the middle fitting (in the photo) with the 60 degree Centre screwed in the main body. I'm 90% sure the big cone is threaded to screw on, Big end of cone to headstock. if my memory serves me correctly!
that's a good bit of kit, had one at work and didn't kill it. It was used on telegraph pole sized logs with the ring Centre,2 metres long.

Flindersia
30th March 2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks Chuck. I’ve had a bit of a play. Looks like the lag screw comes out which leaves you with an adapter with a thread at each end. The adapter can then be used to screw the stepped cone over the live centre cone such that the stepped section faces the headstock. Alternatively it can also be screwed on such that the cone of the stepped fitting is facing the tail stock. I guess that’s it unless anyone has alternative experience to share.

Thanks again for the pointer chuck.

Oooh! Looks like the old version, if you unscrew the fitting with the lag screw it should screw on and the other end screws into the tailstock Centre.
or use the middle fitting (in the photo) with the 60 degree Centre screwed in the main body. I'm 90% sure the big cone is threaded to screw on, Big end of cone to headstock. if my memory serves me correctly!
that's a good bit of kit, had one at work and didn't kill it. It was used on telegraph pole sized logs with the ring Centre,2 metres long.

chuck1
31st March 2015, 05:57 AM
I have been keeping an eye out for one as I really liked the old teknatool ones.
I bought the New version with the Morse taper setup and it's not as good as the older ones.
It's pretty bullet proof.
glad I could help, I try to help where I can.

powderpost
31st March 2015, 09:00 PM
Hi Troy, yes that is an old style combination. I have been using one for a long time now. You will find it has a lot of options and is a very useful addition to your kit. The large cone is excellent for automatically centering square or rectangular stock. It can also be used as a hollow cup centre for boring holes for cables in a table lamp.

Jim

Flindersia
1st April 2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks Jim. Given that you have been using one for a while can I just confirm that it goes together as shown in the photos. i.e.

Photo on the right shows the bits ready to go together including live centre, threaded adaptor and second cone. Photo on the left shows the components about to be screwed togetherstepped cone towards headstock and in the middle inverted cone towardsheadstock. Looks a bit clumsy but I guess this is the only way it can work?

Hi Troy, yes that is an old style combination. I have been using one for a long time now. You will find it has a lot of options and is a very useful addition to your kit. The large cone is excellent for automatically centering square or rectangular stock. It can also be used as a hollow cup centre for boring holes for cables in a table lamp.

Jim

powderpost
1st April 2015, 08:53 PM
Hi Troy, Yep you are on track. In the photo in the first post, there is a piece in the centre at the bottom. I would prefer to use that instead of what is in the above. That one is good for use where there is a hole in the job on the tailstock end. All the pieces are compatible and can be used dependent on the job at hand. The configuration in the third photo is a bit pointless.

Jim