PDA

View Full Version : New lathe

tonysa
29th March 2015, 07:01 PM
With many thanks to Soren and BigShed for answering my questions and their invaluable advice, I am now the proud owner of the Hafco WL-46A lathe

All I can say is i'ts BIG, it's HEAVY it's QUIET and it's SMOOTH, oh so smooth and after my old Delta, so quiet.
Run out < 1 thou and th head stock and tail stock and head stock align within a bees whisker of one another :)

Its a 1.5Kw 3 phase motor with the inverter doing the single phase conversion and the speed control. Did I say how smooth it is, and quiet.
Electronic variable speed control is fantastic. I need to turn a hand wheel as others have posted.
All machine oil has been removed with Kero as suggested and a good coating of wax applied to bare metal surfaces.

Managed to assemble with just the two of us and the help of some steps.
Its heavy and is not going anywhere fast :)

Couple of piccys as proof :)
As packed for transport ( ended up hiring an 8 ft trailer but as it happens a 6x4 would have been fine), assembled and failed goblet.
The piccys display fine on my PC but are rotated in posting, sorry about that.

Had to re-arrange the shed (and at same time fitted different shelving and added lining) to get it in with room to move, and although not finished at least I can start turning.
I was a bit hasty with my goblet, had a catch and it was all over red rover, so I called it quits for the day.

Have a safe and happy easter

Cheers
TonySA

Big Shed
29th March 2015, 07:41 PM
Good one Tony, you'll get years of pleasure out of that:2tsup:

Soren
29th March 2015, 07:49 PM
Good to read your test results, and I bet you will be very happy with your new toy

regards

Treecycle
29th March 2015, 10:07 PM
Pretty good lathe for the money. As you, said very smooth and quiet.
The only changes I can see from the one I have are a different motor and different tailstock handle.
I have had mine for a few years now and it hasn't let me down yet.

chuck1
29th March 2015, 10:08 PM
Nothing like the Joy of New shed jewelry!

Soren
8th May 2015, 11:04 PM
Tony

Let us all see some more results from the new toy

Soren

DaveTTC
8th May 2015, 11:41 PM
Looks nice mmmm mmmmmmm

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

tonysa
9th May 2015, 11:35 PM
Hi Soren

Not been too successful, most ended up in the bin
My problem not the lathe, been a few years LOL but got a couple of nice pens completed.
Tried some CA finish this arvo, letting it dry. Brazillian bloodwood.
I'll post a pic - stumped, photos are on ipad i'll need to tfr to PC

Spent most if the time rearranging the shed, building shelves and cupboards to accomodate lathe and accessories. Finding room, improving lighting more power sockets ...
Accumulated a few pen blanks and kits
Got half a dozen all cut to size and tube glued up and already to turn.

But this weekend when the speed controller decided to play up :(

It'll run but not below 400 and have to set the dial to 9 o clock before anything happens and then it goes up to 2000 or so. Spasmodically. Itll come down to around 609 to 1000 but again, spasmodic setting.

Doesnt seem to be the control pot, pushed and pulled it, turned it every which way but loose and no better. Ill make a call Monday.

Cheers tony

I'll see what mistakes i can photo

Tony

Let us all see some more results from the new toy

Soren

DaveTTC
10th May 2015, 12:00 AM
Load tapatalk to your ipad and you can load pics using the app right onto the forum.

Other advantage of tapatalk over a browser is it loads pics in threads automatically so you can see them without opening another window

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

tonysa
10th May 2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks Dave, i'll load it up and give it a try :)

tonysa
10th May 2015, 11:45 AM
Ok, now to upload :)
The goblets were the better of my attempts LOL

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/09/aac8e9aa51fc2029997f3fd45f82295b.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/09/604f36becccbc3322b80d692fe893136.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveTTC
10th May 2015, 11:57 AM
Beautiful stuff

Glad you got the app working for. Only fowner is the marketplace foes not eork on the app

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

tonysa
10th May 2015, 11:58 AM
Thanks Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soren
10th May 2015, 02:25 PM
Results look good, and I hope your communication with H&F will fix your speed issues

KeithQ
28th September 2019, 11:10 AM
Tony, Its a while since you posted about your Hafco WL 46-A. I have had one for a yewar now and love it. You mention a hand wheel. I would like to find one. Any ideas?? Thanks, KeithQ

tonysa
28th September 2019, 04:16 PM
Hi KeithQ, good you're loving your WL46A, they do work well. I've sold all my woodworking gear to pursue other more expensive hobbies (boat lol) BUT kept the lathe (insert thumbs up icon here) oh, and the band saw. Wouldn't part with either. As for the hand wheel, I didn't have any luck. I tried fabricating one but my attempts were never accurate enough. Wobbled all over the place.. I found there's no easy way to fasten to the spindle stub. I must try hafco again, im sure were not alone.
Sorry I couldnt be of more assistance.
If you have any better luck please let me know.
You've rekindled my interest. I've got a cheap 3D printer so maybe I'll see what I can concoct with that.

Cheers Tony

ps it was the speed potentiometer causing the problem. Replaced with another wire wound pot from hafco (not exact replacement but works)