PDA

View Full Version : Double Sided Tape

WaggaSteve
3rd April 2015, 10:25 AM
Lots of things have changed since I have been away and I am restocking so need some advice. I am looking for a source for reliable usable double sided tape- I remember trying this years ago and watching with wonder as the wood went past my left ear. Who do you buy from and what brand
TIA
Steve

dai sensei
3rd April 2015, 10:29 AM
Not sure what it is called, but it uses yellow waxy cover paper at Bunnies works well. Don't bother with cheap stuff nor the thick white one.

Black Ned
3rd April 2015, 10:34 AM
Aldi have double sided tape available twice a year. Very good product. I use it.

regards, Ned

WaggaSteve
3rd April 2015, 11:38 AM
Aldi didnt have many places here when I left so am still learning but understand that their stuff is pretty unpredictable as to when available or is there a schedule that I dont know about
Steve

Aldi have double sided tape available twice a year. Very good product. I use it.

regards, Ned

Black Ned
3rd April 2015, 03:38 PM
There are always knockers of companies or products. Some are legitimate with their gripe or experience, and others that make statements reflecting poor quality because they do not have recognized brand-name. "WorkZone" is the Aldi brand and I have found it to be a good product to use. I suggest you buy a roll and try it. Then you will be able to use your own judgement. The roll is 33 metres long and 50 mm wide. I think I paid $2.99 per roll about six months ago.

regards, Ned

FenceFurniture
3rd April 2015, 04:32 PM
There are always knockers of companies or products. Some are legitimate with their gripe or experience, and others that make statements reflecting poor quality because they do not have recognized brand-name. "WorkZone" is the Aldi brand and I have found it to be a good product to use. I suggest you buy a roll and try it. Then you will be able to use your own judgement. The roll is 33 metres long and 50 mm wide. I think I paid $2.99 per roll about six months ago.

regards, Ned+1 for the Aldi double sided tape. Just have to get it when it on is the only problem with Aldi. They actually have 3 DS tapes, and the other two are narrower and quite thick (about 1mm) - one is *removable* and the other permanent. They are both hell strong.

chrisb691
3rd April 2015, 05:18 PM
Bunnings

aldav
3rd April 2015, 05:51 PM
Another supporter for the Aldi DS tape! How does Waggasteve live at Anna Bay? :?

WaggaSteve
3rd April 2015, 06:06 PM
Thank you - not exactly a big risk financial is it. Just need to wait for Aldi to have it on sale
Steve

regards, Ned

WaggaSteve
3rd April 2015, 06:10 PM
Born and bred in Wagga (in what is now, probably appropriately, the psychiatric section of Wagga Base Hospital but have lived in many countries since leaving at 18 and am now at Anna Bay - However like the Catholic Nuns, I dont think Wagga ever lets go
Steve

Another supporter for the Aldi DS tape! How does Waggasteve live at Anna Bay? :?

FenceFurniture
3rd April 2015, 06:37 PM
So, ah, shouldn't it be WaggaSteve WaggaSteve or Wagga Wagga Steve Steve?

WaggaSteve
3rd April 2015, 07:27 PM
Not only that but now live on Gan Gan Road and am one of 3 sets of twins !! Once this stutter sorts itself out, I'll be OK
My Mum told me this many years ago (and she never lied)
There is a very small town near Wagga called Gumly Gumly - 8 houses - so small it doesn't have its own postcode so it is legally known as Gumly Gumly via Wagga Wagga (all true). Mum worked on telegrams (for those of us who remember those days) and Fred Nurks from Gumly won the English pools, which notification was via telegrams. Mum dutifully sent off the Telegram stating that Fred Nurks from Gumly Gumly via Wagga Wagga was the winner only to get a reply 5 minutes later "Please be serious serious , who won who won"

So, ah, shouldn't it be WaggaSteve WaggaSteve or Wagga Wagga Steve Steve?

WaggaSteve
3rd April 2015, 07:29 PM
Any advice on which is best
Steve

+1 for the Aldi double sided tape. Just have to get it when it on is the only problem with Aldi. They actually have 3 DS tapes, and the other two are narrower and quite thick (about 1mm) - one is *removable* and the other permanent. They are both hell strong.

FenceFurniture
3rd April 2015, 08:06 PM
Any advice on which is best
SteveDepends on what you(s) are doing doing. Definitely get the white thin wide one one (or is that two?) (pic shown before) and a roll of the thicker narrower one certainly won't go astray.

WaggaSteve
11th May 2015, 04:39 PM
As the Aldi availability is unpredictable, I bought the Bunnings one (yellow as described - Turned out to be Norton brand which I have memories was pretty good on other stuff).

However, as a test I put a piece along the full length of a 4 point power board to hold it on the side of the work bench. Didnt even hold a light weight like that so bit scared to use on whizzing wood. Any tricks with use that I may not be aware of

Steve

FenceFurniture
11th May 2015, 08:29 PM
Probably comes back to horses for courses. That sort of tape is probably good for paper, craft etc, but not load bearing. The thick Aldi one (permanent, and probably even the removable one) will handle a fair bit of weight/load.

I've used it for holding down small blocks of timber that hold my rasps and files in place in a drawer. When it comes time to change it around it's a pretty difficult exercise, due to the strength.

Justin
11th May 2015, 08:48 PM
I use a product from 3M called VHB, I think it stands for Very High Bond. It's the shizzle and not much else comes close.

Got it from a subbie so I haven't bought any myself yet, there's a fair variety on Ebay though.

Paul39
13th May 2015, 01:12 AM
I use double sided carpet tape and double sided foam tape for sticking sand paper to various flat and curved mounts for sanding bowls.

I'm not likely to trust ANY tape for holding a blank on to a face plate. I have an aversion to getting a face full of timber.

I have cut a groove in a piece of plywood screwed to a face plate and put strips of double sided tape across the groove in three places, then crammed the rim of a bowl into it.

I used the tail center while cleaning up and sanding the bottom of the bowl, then backed out the center and turned off the nub and sanded.