PDA

View Full Version : What brand and / model of Ear Muffs to buy?

Arry
5th April 2015, 12:21 PM
Hi

I have a few earmuffs that I have used over the last few years but am now wanting the best I can get.

My dad suffers with Tinnitus in the ears so I know all about hearing problems from exposure to loud noise etc.

I have also read up and that it is recommend to buy earmuffs that are Class 5 and that are between 29 - 35db

What brand and if possible, what model does anyone recommend?

If it costs alot then so be it, doesn't concern me, I just want proper protection.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

BobL
5th April 2015, 12:40 PM
Peltor H10A or behind the neck version H10B.
You can get these on line or Protector Allsafe stock them
I have 4 pairs, 2 in the shed, one at t hen mens shed and 1 in the car along with my chainsaw gear.

The degree to which a set of muffs can be taken seriously is the provision of spectral data.
This is the Noise Reduction Ratio (NNR) for a range of frequencies.
If a set of muffs does not provide this at least on their website then I would not consider them.

They do have a high side pressure but that is necessary to achieve the NRR. Any muff that does not grasp the side of the head firmly simply won't be achieving the same NRR.

Arry
5th April 2015, 12:44 PM
Thanks heaps Bob.

Will have a look at that Brand

Cheers mate

Peltor H10A or behind the neck version H10B.
You can get these on line or Protector Allsafe stock them
I have 4 pairs, 2 in the shed, one at t hen mens shed and 1 in the car along with my chainsaw gear.

The degree to which a set of muffs can be taken seriously is the provision of spectral data.
This is the Noise Reduction Ratio (NNR) for a range of frequencies.
If a set of muffs does not provide this at least on their website then I would not consider them.

They do have a high side pressure but that is necessary to achieve the NRR. Any muff that does not grasp the side of the head firmly simply won't be achieving the same NRR.

Master Splinter
5th April 2015, 01:36 PM
Another thumbs up for Peltor.

Acco
5th April 2015, 02:08 PM
And me as well, is the only one I buy.

Use both the H10A & H10B

Arry
5th April 2015, 02:29 PM
Cheers guys

What do you think of this one:

Quick look on Amazon and this seems to be their latest product?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-X-Series-Earmuffs-X5A/dp/B00CPCHBCQ/ref=pd_bxgy_indust_img_z

Thanks

chuck1
5th April 2015, 07:13 PM
I have 2 pairs of sorridin not sure if it's spelt right? About $40.

BobL
5th April 2015, 07:28 PM
Cheers guys

What do you think of this one:

Quick look on Amazon and this seems to be their latest product?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-X-Series-Earmuffs-X5A/dp/B00CPCHBCQ/ref=pd_bxgy_indust_img_z

Thanks

The X-series have been around for a while and have a softer head band pressure which is why the 10H series are 2 dB better than the X-series

2 bB doesn't sound like much but given that 3 dB is equal to a factor of two difference in sound power then 2 dN is more than you think.

If it was a cheap pair of muffs I wouldn't trust the ratings anyway but given that it's a reliable name then 2 dB actually means something.

cava
5th April 2015, 08:16 PM
I use Peltor H10A, and sometimes with earplugs. I recommend them.

I_wanna_Shed
5th April 2015, 10:20 PM
I love my Peltors!

nalmo
8th April 2015, 01:53 PM
Another one for Peltor, however they can become uncomfortable in summer (when I use ear plugs)

bookend
10th April 2015, 09:22 PM
My Peltor 10B grip my head so firmly they give me a headache so I only wear them sometimes and even then I can't wait to get them off. Some people would say better a headache than deafness but I'd rather get a pair with good protection and comfort. I can't see why you can't have both.

Jim Carroll
10th April 2015, 10:00 PM
I have noticed that you have asked about earmuffs in the woodturning section.

I hope you are not wearing earmuffs while woodturning.

It is the one area where you need all your senses aware of what you are doing.

You need to be able to hear what is going on at all times.

The need for earmuffs for routing , using saws or any other noisy type of equipment is a certain need.

Tinitus is also a breathing problem where the person does not allow air to flow through the ears, nose and mouth, you need to learn to try and keep your mouth open at all times to allow the flow of air .

chuck1
10th April 2015, 10:27 PM
I have to wear ear protection when turning at work due to the CNC machine that runs most of the day.

artful bodger
14th April 2015, 06:41 PM
I really like my Husqvarna earmuffs. They have a FM radio built into them. Husqvarna claims that the radio volume which is adjustable is not enough to damage your hearing(even at the highest setting). While the muff part of em blocks the outside noise. Only downside is that they don't get AM frequency which the cricket and footy are generally broadcast on around here.

Sawdust Maker
14th April 2015, 08:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your recommendations

As one who's hearing is on the decline an upgrade in the shed is about to happen

cheers