PDA

View Full Version : How is this done? - Complex rose engine turning

fudo133
10th April 2015, 03:04 AM
Hello everyone,

I've not had that much experience with wood turning in general much less with rose engines, but generally have a basic understanding of their functions, though earlier today while browsing through some ornamental turning sites i came across this rather interesting ivory 'cup' and was wondering if anyone could tell me how the slightly spiraling lobed form of the cup and its stem might have been created?

I can get my head around the foundations of the technique for producing 'basic' lobed shapes like these, but trying to work out how a spiraling version is turned is somewhat more confusing to me.

In any case, i thought it was an interesting question to ask, so any input or ideas from others would be much appreciated

Old-Biker-UK
10th April 2015, 06:19 AM
Rose engines were / are sometimes fitted with a 'pumping' action so the mandrel and the workpiece not only rock backwards & forwards with the rosette against the rubber but also move horizontally back & forth with another pumping rosette against another rubber..
Those lobed patterns are generally produced with a single, stationary profile cutter.
Serious skill (and patience) involved both in preparing the cutters and doing the cutting.

Mark

Mobyturns
10th April 2015, 09:23 AM
The really amazing thing about ornamental turning is that it started in the 1500's, was pretty well mastered by the late 1700's but reached its peak in the mid to late 1800's. We have largely lost those skills except for a few devotees.

The cup is formed using a combination of pumping action and swash plate turning techniques.

Christos
10th April 2015, 07:30 PM
Amazing.