PDA

View Full Version : Ripping small branches for pen blanks

Oldgreybeard
12th April 2015, 06:19 PM
344587I have quite a few smallish branches which could probably produce up to 4- 8 pen blanks 18 - 20mm square (see image) . Branches have been cut to about 300 mm long.

I am thinking that my first cut would be to cut a flat corresponding to one side of the centre square with the second cut being an adjacent side of that square - most probably using the bandsaw.

I have the option to use a bandsaw or table saw, but my question is how to safely hold the branch.

I have 10 fingers now and want to ensure that I still have 10 when I am finished. This suggests to me that I should use a jig of some description to hold the branch and to ensure that the cuts are both parallel and perpendicular ( I hope that is clear).

Has anyone developed a jig for this purpose? or do you just cut it freehand?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Gabriel
12th April 2015, 06:37 PM
Do you have access to a jointer to flatten the bottom off first?
That would be the safest option I can think of.

Cheers
Gab

Oldgreybeard
12th April 2015, 07:18 PM
Do you have access to a jointer to flatten the bottom off first?
That would be the safest option I can think of.

Cheers
Gab

Thanks Gab, I do have a jointer, but hadn't thought of using it. Branches are a bit rough and may not be the safest option. Would be easier if they were a bit longer, I think., but will have a closer look tomorrow.
Bob

Evanism
12th April 2015, 07:31 PM
This will get you going. Screws in the end, zip a flat section, flip it 90 degrees and you're ready to rip :)

dai sensei
12th April 2015, 07:58 PM
Are they dry or wet? If wet just rip in half and then in quarters on the bandsaw. Even dry I would do the same, not worth mucking around for that extra couple of blanks, especially given the pith and sapwood losses.

Oldgreybeard
12th April 2015, 08:18 PM
This will get you going. Screws in the end, zip a flat section, flip it 90 degrees and you're ready to rip :)

Many thanks, I think this is what I was looking for.
Bob

Oldgreybeard
12th April 2015, 08:23 PM
Are they dry or wet? If wet just rip in half and then in quarters on the bandsaw. Even dry I would do the same, not worth mucking around for that extra couple of blanks, especially given the pith and sapwood losses.

Most was cut 2 - 3 years ago. The majority have survived without splitting. You are probably right, the extra work involved for a limited return is probably not worth the effort. Thanks Neil.

Bob

Sawdust Maker
12th April 2015, 08:42 PM
If you need to flatten one side to lay flat on the table of your saw - a few strokes with a plane should do the trick

Sawdust Maker
13th April 2015, 09:32 AM

Thinking about this a bit more it crossed my mind that the best blanks are not necessarily cut with the grain
a rip down the middle would allow you to see what is inside the log and allow decisions to be made as to the best cuts for the spectacular blanks

dai sensei
13th April 2015, 10:13 AM
Thinking about this a bit more it crossed my mind that the best blanks are not necessarily cut with the grain
a rip down the middle would allow you to see what is inside the log and allow decisions to be made as to the best cuts for the spectacular blanks

Yes, having the flat wide centre down allows you to cut with grain, cross-cut or any other angle. It all depends on how big the branch/piece is but halves to start with does expose the branch's cross-section.

Oldgreybeard
13th April 2015, 11:29 AM
Sawdust Maker and dai sensei, thanks for that suggestion. I will try it on a few pieces to start with.

Bob

Christos
16th April 2015, 06:28 PM
For a very quick solution you can grab a board, and secure it to the log. The board and the log gives you two points of contact. The holes for the nails(or screws)can be per-drilled and used several times.

Once you have one flat side you don't need the the board. It works best for smaller logs / branches.

If I was slicing up continually I would go for what Evanism suggested.