PDA

View Full Version : bobbin blank holder?

Jenny Brandis
16th July 2005, 09:41 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=633&item=7529357268&rd=1

Would this work to hold the lace bobbin blanks on the Delta Midi lathe?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th July 2005, 02:27 AM
Short Answer:

Yes. :)

Long-winded Answer;):

It's called a Jacob's chuck, from looks that 'un only has 3 jaws so you should still round the blank between centres to get a safe, centred grip with that particular chuck. A 4-jaw one would have the advantage of holding squared blanks.

Using the tailstock's also recommended with it to keep the morse taper seated in the shaft, although you can remove the tailstock at the end of the job to quickly tidy up that end of the bobbin.

Personally I think pin-jaws for a "proper" scroll-chuck would be better suited to this job, doing away with the need for the t/stock altogether, although I'd stiill use the t/stock for that extra bit of security.

You'llfind a jacob's chuck handy anyway, especially for jobs like mother'n'babes, etc. where you can mount the blank in the scroll-chuck and the jacob's chuck (with a drill bit) in the tailstock, thus turning your lathe into a small drill-press...

In other words; buy it. It'll do until you can afford better and will still be useful later.

La truciolara
17th July 2005, 02:39 AM
You'llfind a jacob's chuck handy anyway, especially for jobs like mother'n'babes, etc. where you can mount the blank in the scroll-chuck and the jacob's chuck (with a drill bit) in the tailstock, thus turning your lathe into a small drill-press...

In other words; buy it. It'll do until you can afford better and will still be useful later.This is an INDISPENSABLE small piece for equipment for every turner.
For example: should you want to realise a box, with this you can drill a centre hole of the length desired for the inside dimension of the box. When you arrive at the end of the drilled hole you know you don’t have to dig any more <O:p.
;)

rodm
17th July 2005, 03:01 AM
I have bought heaps of stuff from Ozmestore and have found David to be a very good seller. Like all Auctions don't get sucked into the bidding as you can buy thie same chuck from Timbecon for $28.90 and postage can be in one of those post bags for $8.00 or less depending on the weight.
see link below.
http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/drilling-accessories-363_0.aspx

Also think about getting the 16mm chuck instead of the 13mm. The 2MT will fit both your headstock and tailstock on the Delta Midi so it will be a good accessory for your lathe. A Jacobs chuck will bite into your timber so you will have to part your workpiece from the area that is gripped by the chuck.

and here is a four jaw independant chuck with a 1 inch by 8 tpi on Ebay. For you application you would have to reverse the jaws from the photo.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3126&item=8205430323&rd=1

Hambone
17th July 2005, 12:25 PM
Hi Jenny,
I have been down the road you are now going. First the spur drive then the cup chuck after that the jacobs chuck finally the scroll chuck with pin jaws .Save time and money invest in a new scroll chuck you will never regret it .The jacobs chuck is a handy piece of equipment but to hold anything tightly the blank must first be round like a piece of dowel.

Happy bobbin making.
Ron

Jenny Brandis
17th July 2005, 02:15 PM
I have been down the road you are now going. First the spur drive then the cup chuck after that the jacobs chuck finally the scroll chuck with pin jaws .Save time and money invest in a new scroll chuck .
Hi Hambone - the only thing holding me back is the cost - :( I have spent the last paycheck - several times

It would have been sooooo much cheaper to have bought a couple of hundred beginner bobbins in the first place - shhhh - don't tell the hubby :)

gatiep
17th July 2005, 04:48 PM
Jenny

I'm with Rodm on this one. A jacobs style chuck is very handy on a lathe but go for the 16 mm one if you are going to buy one. The last time I looked the 13 mm and 16 mm cost the same at the shop where I shop. A keyles one is only a few $ more and is much less hassles as there is no key to go missing in the chips.

However if you want to use a jacobs on a morse taper on the lathe, without using the tailstock , it will eventually work loose while turning due to radial pressure and vibration from the tool. In such a case it will be necessary to drill and tap the arbor end so that a drawbar can be used to hold it in place. If you are still going to use the tailstock, then don't bother with the jacobs for turning as it is far too much buggerizing around for what the usefulness is. For drilling holes and using small bits of wood just to make a short plug etc they are fine. Turning far away from the jaws will cause it to come out of the #2 MT.

If you are bent on doing only lace bobbins and no drilling, save the bucks and put it towards a chuck and a set of pin or long jaws. BTW that 4 jaw chuck on ebay will hold small bits for bobbin turning but please don't expect it to hold large chunks for bowl turning. It is a poorly designed metal lathe style chuck, some of which the big red B sells for around $30 and together with the $69-00 lathe the best thing that has ever happened to convince people who have bought them to buy a real lathe with a real woodturners chuck. I see that on average once a week!

Most times a cheap alternative is just that.......Get the real thing for the job and enjoy what you are doing in safety.

Jenny Brandis
17th July 2005, 10:40 PM
I have seen on the net something called a "Lace bobbin holder" that looks like a 4 sided socket on a taper (starting to use the language:)) but have been unable to find any in the marketplace.

I am resisting returning to the workforce as I am soooo enjoying the 'at home' time. Lace making, wood turning, babysitting grandkids etc. but if I am going to keep buying the bits and pieces I may have to. :( :(

powderpost
17th July 2005, 10:53 PM
Jenny, I have turned more than the odd lace bobbin from wood, aluminium, brass and bone, all on a wood lathe. I much prefer to use a jacobs chuck because it is smaller in diameter than a scroll chuck and more user friendly. To cope with the three jaw problem, I hold the blank in the chuck and centre a live centre on the other end accurately and turn about five millimetres round at the tailstock end. The blank is then turned end for end and completed, no problem.

Jim

Jenny Brandis
24th July 2005, 11:41 AM
Save time and money invest in a new scroll chuck you will never regret it .
Ron, You are right :o and I should have gone to the scroll chuck as I got the jacobs chuck and it DENTS the wood, the tailstock still needs to be used and my blanks are too short to spare the wastage. It cost me $15 to get the excess metal 'tail' off the chuck (it would not fit until I did this) All up, I am one disapointed girl :(

The only "good" news is that I now have a jacobs chuck which the forum seems to think is a good tool to have anyway. Maybe I can use it in the tailstock as a drill?

rodm
24th July 2005, 11:59 AM
Jenny
A Jacobs chuck is a very handy accessory for the lathe so you haven't wasted your money.

gatiep
24th July 2005, 04:40 PM
Ron, You are right :o and I should have gone to the scroll chuck as I got the jacobs chuck and it DENTS the wood, the tailstock still needs to be used and my blanks are too short to spare the wastage. It cost me $15 to get the excess metal 'tail' off the chuck (it would not fit until I did this) All up, I am one disapointed girl :(

The only "good" news is that I now have a jacobs chuck which the forum seems to think is a good tool to have anyway. Maybe I can use it in the tailstock as a drill?Jenny,
To stop the jacobs chuck denting the wood, find a short piece of hard pvc type pipe that will fit over the end of the timber that you want to hold in the jacobs. Cut a slot through the wall with a hacksaw, so that when you look at the tube end on, it looks like a C with a very small opening. Slide this over the cylindrical turned end of the blank, then clamp it in the jacobs chuck.

Cutting the tail off..................you were taken for a ride. The arbor is ordinary mild steel which can be cut with a hacksaw or angle grinder. BTW if you turned the quill of the tailstock out a fair bit, the arbor would have fitted. It should fit unaltered in the headstock unless it is a very strange chuck.

I cannot help you to extend your blanks other than: 1) Cut them longer. 2) If they are really very expensive exotic stuff you can try glueing a bit of hardwood onto the end with epoxy or superglue.

Yes you can use the jacobs in the tailstock for holding drills.

A Vicmarc scroll chuck with the long jaws will solve those problems although they are expensive.

I did a woodturning demo yesterday using a lathe the same as yours. I still believe that for what you are doing they are the bees knees and good value.

Never underestimate a bit of lateral thinking to solve problems though.

When are we going to see the pictures of the show winners? Well done again to both you & HWDHTBO!

Hambone
24th July 2005, 06:32 PM
Hi Jenny,
The sence of achievement far outways buying the learner bobbins. Just give the Leader of the Oppersitions sardines on toast for a week then you will have enough for the scroll chuck or maybe he will buy you one to get back on a better diet. The little square chuck on a morse taper is no subtitute for a chuck been there done that .I made mine from 3/8 square drive socket spanner .
Keep going it will only get better,
Regards,
Ron

Toggy
24th July 2005, 10:40 PM
Jenny,

A couple of years ago, I think it was "The Australian Woodworker" printed an article by Don M'Crabb on a collet chuck he made for turning lace bobbins in small lathes.

Ken