PDA

View Full Version : New Member

60klix
22nd April 2015, 03:26 PM
Hi to all, I live on the Gippsland lakes,

I'm a new member to this forum but not new to turning. It has been about 15 years since I last turned and because of work commitments have had to wait until now I'm retired to get back into it. I used to make a lot of bowls but at the ime had developed a passion to make small lided boxes something I would like to start again.
At the time I was producing some pretty good work, was self taught and did a course with Vic Wood who helped me get my act together.

The problems I've got is I've forgotten some things and need some help to get started again. I have a Technatool Nova3000 Lathe, 2 chucks and accessories and a full range of P&N Chisels that originally were blanks and I made my own handles to suit. I have my bench grinder with aluminium oxide wheels but cant remember what grit I was using to sharpen the chisels so need advice on this as the labels are gone.

I also used to buy blanks off Rare Woods but they are long gone so need a source for blanks if there is one around. I used to sharpen the chisels by hand but having tried that again I realised that skill has gone out the window so need advise on a sharpening system I can buy, Ive looked at one on the web from Woodcut in NZ.

Last but not least I had a Dust helmet along the same principle as the Trend Airshiled but it had the filter on the belt, I cant remember the name of the unit but it was great. So I need advice on similar units.

Thanks for any help
Terry

Bluegum
22nd April 2015, 09:34 PM
G'day terry and welcome to the forum. Tonnes of advice in here mate and lots of folks with lots of real good advice. Sounds like you've got decent setup going there. As for sharpening have you looked at the vicmarc system. Low speed grinder with jig and platform for scraper and gouges. I'm considering this system after looking at it on you tube. Brendan Stemp gives it's a a good review. I'll be looking at it during the wood show in Brisbane.

60klix
23rd April 2015, 09:59 AM
Thanks for your reply Bluegum, I didnt know about the Vicmarc sharpening tool I'll look into it.

powderpost
23rd April 2015, 11:20 AM
Last but not least I had a Dust helmet along the same principle as the Trend Airshiled but it had the filter on the belt, I cant remember the name of the unit but it was great. So I need advice on similar units.
Hi Terry, welcome to the board. The dust helmet is likely "Racal" dustmaster, however 3M has acquired Racal, so it maybe a 3M Versaflo, or it could be a Triton product.

Jim

old1955
23rd April 2015, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the forum Terry.

60klix
24th April 2015, 09:12 AM
Jim,
Thanks for the reminder, it was the Racal Now the Dustmaster, it was a great unit and easy to wear.

Old1955, thanks for the welcome

NeilS
27th April 2015, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the forum Terry.

If you are ready to replace your alox wheels you have a great opportunity to go with CBN wheels this time. If you are now retired you are going to do a lot more turning and I expect you will enjoy using these new (to woodturning) grinding wheels. They have many advantages. The initial cost is higher but great value in the long run, which I hope you will have in retirement.

http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/category/woodcut-cbn-grinding-wheels

http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/category/vicmarc-grinder--cbn-wheels

60klix
28th April 2015, 09:40 AM
Thanks Neil, I'll look into it

malleeboy
3rd May 2015, 12:02 AM
Hi Terry, welcome to the Forums. You have a very good woodclub at Nambrok although it is a little distant from you but they do or did, have some members at Loch Sport. If you are after blanks the Warragul Woodclub have quite a few and can be contacted on 56267034. They had blackwood, oak, cherry sequoia and others. Malleeboy

jaybird
8th May 2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks Malleeboy, I'll look into these clubs.