PDA

View Full Version : Australian Woodturning Exhibition June 2015

Soren
6th May 2015, 09:48 PM
Don't forget to get your entries in for the Australian Woodturning Exhibition. Get your entries in to partake in this premier event, and be in the running for the substantial prices being offered.
Last entries are due via the entry forms by 15th May.
Please refer to your club for entry forms, or direct from the AWTEX website
WWW.theaustralianwoodturningexhibition.net

smiife
7th May 2015, 08:36 PM
Hi soren,
Sent mine yesterday, hopefully you get lots of entries
You guys do a great job and I think everone should support
this fantastic event, looking forward to seeing all the entries

Mobyturns
7th May 2015, 10:00 PM
Just be aware that there have been rule changes - "Must not have been previously displayed in any exhibition, nor been the subject of any articlein any published media, be it electronic or printed;"

artful bodger
7th May 2015, 10:23 PM
Absolutely fantastic to see an event that recognises woodturning.
Hope it all goes really well for all involved.

Scott
8th May 2015, 11:28 AM
Absolutely fantastic to see an event that recognises woodturning. Hope it all goes really well for all involved. Yup, this should be an event free from controversy and egos. Hope it all goes well :)

Mobyturns
8th May 2015, 07:05 PM
Yup, this should be an event free from controversy and egos. Hope it all goes well :)

I agree. I hope it runs smoothly and past issues are buried for the good of the comp.

I must confess I have not entered in the past couple of years and I'm not sure I will this year either. If I get off my bum I may get one or two pieces done but life has been getting in the way lately.

powderpost
8th May 2015, 08:52 PM
Absolutely fantastic to see an event that recognises woodturning.
Hope it all goes really well for all involved.

Agree whole heartely. I will admit the issues of the past couple of years were very disappointing. Even so, I have entered again this year. I hope to be able to get down there again for the exhibition.

Jim

Soren
8th May 2015, 10:51 PM
We have already had a lot of entries, but not all categories are yet fully represented within each class.
Think what you have already available or could complete and present before the collection date for your chance to compete in this premier event.

regards

Soren

smiife
10th May 2015, 08:05 PM
Just be aware that there have been rule changes - "Must not have been previously displayed in any exhibition, nor been the subject of any articlein any published media, be it electronic or printed;"

Hi guys,
Yes I had noticed that rule , and fair enough too , but
I think It has had a flow on effect to this forum, not
many posts of forum members work lately, everone
must be busy working on their entries, should be
very Interesting after the awtex weekend:;

Scott
10th May 2015, 08:55 PM

The more I look at this rule, the more I'm intrigued. What's the rationale behind this Mobyturns?

Mobyturns
10th May 2015, 10:35 PM
The more I look at this rule, the more I'm intrigued. What's the rationale behind this Mobyturns?

Scott. I have no idea all I can do is speculate. I'm not on the committee & I live in FNQ so a long way from the action. I have had a break from entering since 2012, That year cost over $200 in postage & entry fees.

I only know about the rule because I was alerted to the changes for 2015 by another turner. My fault, I assumed the rules would be similar and never anticipated this one. I never "publish" comp entries, so this year is unusual for me as I was only going to to enter some pieces after some urging from a committee member. I think it may catch a few out as I understand it is fairly common for Victorian turners to enter the same pieces in two or more competitions.

The rule has precluded several pieces for me and the few that I haven't shown anywhere else come from blanks that I will make several pieces from, some of which are well published. Will similar pieces be excluded through mistaken identity? I don't think it is worth my while to enter as I'm not prepared to spend $100 to $150 plus in entry fees and postage etc only to find that my pieces were declared "ineligible."

Maybe the AWTEX committee can offer some clarification on how they intend to check to see if pieces comply with the new rule or how they will prevent mistakes occurring.

The entry form has no provision for a declaration by the entrant only an acknowledgement "I have read and agree to the Conditions of Entry and accept that the Judges' decisions are final." The way I interpret the rules, the committee and I presume a Chief Steward will make the decision and not a judge that "the item will be ineligible for judging and will therefore not be awarded any prizes in this exhibition." Its got me confused!

The clocks ticking so I have to make a decision quickly.

Sturdee
10th May 2015, 11:03 PM
The clocks ticking so I have to make a decision quickly.

Maybe I should let Soren answer, but clocks are ticking.

I'm not on the committee either but I believe the rule changes, and there are a few (also in relation to the judging procedures), are designed to ensure that the controversies of last year are overcome.

This year the items submitted for judging can not have been exhibited previously elsewhere or have been the subject of an published article. So no submitting to other comps first.

The rules refer to the item submitted, so if you have not submitted the item elsewhere then there is no problem. If it looks similar because of the materials used or similar design then it should be okay but I would enclose a covering letter with it explaining this as a safeguard until it is clarified.

Peter.

Mobyturns
10th May 2015, 11:17 PM
Maybe I should let Soren answer, but clocks are ticking.

Peter.

Thanks Peter.

"or been the subject of any article in any published media, be it electronic or printed," does this include forums such as this site as well?

Had this rule been in 2012 two of my pieces may have been excluded even though they were only part finished for an article. The blanks were distinctive enough to have been identifiable.

Sturdee
10th May 2015, 11:29 PM
Thanks Peter.

"or been the subject of any article in any published media, be it electronic or printed," does this include forums such as this site as well?

Had this rule been in 2012 two of my pieces may have been excluded even though they were only part finished for an article. The blanks were distinctive enough to have been identifiable.

I think the operative phrase is "Published Media " which I interpret as a magazine published and for sale.

I do not think that it was the intention to stop a member posting his work on this forum or even having it shown at the "Show and Tell" sections of their wood turning club meetings and thus included in their newsletters which are put on their club's website.

But clarification would be helpful.

Peter.

Mobyturns
11th May 2015, 07:48 AM
I think the operative phrase is "Published Media " which I interpret as a magazine published and for sale.

I do not think that it was the intention to stop a member posting his work on this forum or even having it shown at the "Show and Tell" sections of their wood turning club meetings and thus included in their newsletters which are put on their club's website.

But clarification would be helpful.

Peter.

Peter many post their pride & joy on FaceBook - and any Forum that is public - I would consider it published "electronically" as would any fair & reasonable person.

Publish - To prepare and issue( a book, music, or other material) for public distribution, especially for sale.

- to submit (content) online, as to a message board or blog.

"Published media" covers a wide scope.

powderpost
11th May 2015, 11:43 AM
Will similar pieces be excluded through mistaken identity? I don't think it is worth my while to enter as I'm not prepared to spend $100 to $150 plus in entry fees and postage etc only to find that my pieces were declared "ineligible."

This also worries me. I don't think that too many people know about the costs involved. In 2009, I sent down two hollow forms and two platters to the exhibition. They were on a box aproximately 400mm cube, it cost me $32.00. Last year I sent down one piece, It was going to cost me $58.00 until one of the postal clerks suggested I use one of their yellow bags. That cost $24.00. Who know what it will cost this year? To go through all this and have the piece declared ineligible, would really me off. There is a piece similar, out there, but it is not the same piece that has been entered.

Jim

A Duke
11th May 2015, 11:50 AM
Hi,
I always thought all those conditions were so that the judges could not identify the entrant. But I have always thought that if a judge has been at it long enough he could pick a lot of the entrants by their style.
Regards

MrFez
11th May 2015, 05:31 PM

OK, so if I get my inspiration from a printed article, or youtube video and make an identical piece, would my piece be banned? Technically my piece has been the subject of an article.......

Mobyturns
11th May 2015, 05:35 PM
Hi,
I always thought all those conditions were so that the judges could not identify the entrant. But I have always thought that if a judge has been at it long enough he could pick a lot of the entrants by their style.
Regards

If an item is for sale the organizers encourage the entrant to sign the piece "Entrants are encouraged to sign their work marked for sale, this and any other identifying marks will be covered during the judging process."

The Australian wood turning scene is pretty small. Judges would be familiar with an entrants style in Open and most probably in Intermediate as well particularly if both the entrant and judge are fairly active online.

chuck1
11th May 2015, 06:34 PM
So if I made 2 turnings the same and put one in a local show and put the second one in the exhibition would it be disqualified? Because with some of my spindle turning if I one and like it I'll usually turn 2 or 3 the same.

Jim Carroll
11th May 2015, 07:58 PM
This is where I get a chuckle from the new rules that have been brought in without a lot of thought on the repercusions.

The published media used to be magazines and newspapers, now you have the internet which is more wide spread and affects more people.

Some people are trying to disect the rules to suit themselves like making 3 peices the same and saying the one entered is not the one for sale. How do the committee police this and how does the person prove that it is not the one for sale elsewhere.

As indicated most judges do know the work of the intermediate and open entrants, not all but most as they see the work in the different medias and most of the work is similar year to year with only subtle changes

1 indication of this was Ken Wraights cinderallas carraige and then his emperors carraige or some of Brendan Stemps offset boxes, known by everyone but still different

It is now up to all members of the committee to do due diligance and get on top of all the peices and ask every entrant if they are brand new peices and never seen by anyone else anywhere, otherwise they will be open to inuendo and preferential treatment to some.

Soren
11th May 2015, 08:19 PM
As far as I am aware, and I stand corrected, if my belief is incorrect, years ago the rules stated or inferred that the exhibition piece must have been turned within the last 12 months. This was / would be very hard to enforce.
Subsequent discussions with both prior entrants, sponsors and judges, then resulted in the judging rule being modified, to exclude items from judging, that had previously been either displayed in prior exhibitions, or been the subject of any published articles. This was intended to ensure that all judging continue to be 'blind' and without prejudice or favouritism. I am saying "continue", as I do not believe or assert that anything of the kind has occurred in the past, nor that it is likely to occur in the future.
This rule change does not exclude items from being displayed or sold at the exhibition, it is only intended to preclude these items from judging.
The committee and judges will accept at face value, the entrants assertion, that the pieces entered meet the judging criteria. However if the piece is positively identified either by the committee or any of the judges as breaching the judging rules, then this piece will be excluded from the judging process. I would expect that if this was to occur, a call would be made to the entrant, seeking clarification. This however would have to be made on the day of judging (Wednesday prior to the exhibition), and if the entrant was not contactable, the piece would be excluded.
Frequent discussions and debate occurs regarding the entry and judging rules, and without preempting anything, I believe that further modification and clarification will continue to happen in the future.

Soren
11th May 2015, 08:26 PM
One of the possibly changes to the rules for 2016, 'could' be something along the lines, that items previously having won 'places' (first, second or third) may be the only ones excluded from judging, but as Jim rightly points out, it will be very difficult to police, especially as some turners produce similar styled pieces, and often more than just one of a kind.

Jim Carroll
11th May 2015, 10:26 PM
Soren this still does not get over the issue of the published media which the internet is now part of.You have forums like this , face book, twitter, instagram.All are classed as printed or published media so anything that is produced in the last 12 months and put up on these media have to be eliminated, but how do you police this.As a previous Judge on 2 occasions I was not asked for any opinion on these new rules. must have missed that call.

Mobyturns
11th May 2015, 10:38 PM
One of the possibly changes to the rules for 2016, 'could' be something along the lines, that items previously having won 'places' (first, second or third) may be the only ones excluded from judging, but as Jim rightly points out, it will be very difficult to police, especially as some turners produce similar styled pieces, and often more than just one of a kind.

Thank you for the response. I'm not sure it clears up all of our concerns. Many of the presented scenarios I had considered but I must admit I had never considered that a turner would deliberately enter an ineligible piece purely for the selling exposure or the intention to sell multiple copies of a piece. Learn something new every day about human endeavor.

I've only entered AWTEX since 2009. I believe the rule was "exhibits that have not been entered in a previous Australian Woodturning Exhibition" up to 2014, which in 2015 has been changed to "Must not have been previously displayed in any exhibition, nor been the subject of any article in any published media, be it electronic or printed; additionally:" As I mentioned earlier some of my pieces in 2012 & 2013 would now be ineligible under this rule as they were used as props for my UK Woodturning magazine articles. If the "item must have been turned in the past 12 months" rule still applied may also rule out many of my pieces. I often turn part of a laminated blank and the balance may sit for well over a year or more. Two potential entries I have just turned came from blanks constructed over two years ago but turned recently.

In any case my motive has been to to seek clarification and to support AWTEX as I did not seriously intend to enter this year until a conversation at Turnfest. As my pieces are not sufficiently different from items posted online and I have no intention of selling them, I think I will avoid any controversy by not entering this year.

Mobyturns
11th May 2015, 10:47 PM
Until Soren's reply I had not noticed the addition of the "Judging" check box on the 2015 entry form.

Christos
14th May 2015, 05:35 PM
I was intending to enter the competition this year but alas I don't have anything that has not been seen before. No matter next year I will have some pieces.

I hope to see heaps of photos from the competition as I find this always inspiring.

powderpost
14th May 2015, 08:37 PM
Until Soren's reply I had not noticed the addition of the "Judging" check box on the 2015 entry form.

I missed that as well..

Jim

hughie
14th May 2015, 09:47 PM
I missed that as well..

Jim

I found and it struck me as alittle odd. I thought 'why would I send it, if I didnt want to enter the competition'

Osbojo
14th May 2015, 11:31 PM
I found and it struck me as alittle odd. I thought 'why would I send it, if I didnt want to enter the competition'

Because it's primarily a woodturning EXHIBITION. I would think that it's primary purpose is the promoting of the art of woodturning and in that respect, given the numbers that pass through, I would think it was doing a great job. An opportunity for us to display our skills and, if we're lucky, sell a few pieces.

Or am I being naive?

Jim Carroll
15th May 2015, 09:38 AM
Because it's primarily a woodturning EXHIBITION. I would think that it's primary purpose is the promoting of the art of woodturning and in that respect, given the numbers that pass through, I would think it was doing a great job. An opportunity for us to display our skills and, if we're lucky, sell a few pieces.

Or am I being naive?

It is primarily a competition, that is why people put their peices in there, they want the opportunity to see where they stand with their peices in the woodturning community, with the hope of winning a prize.

With the prize comes acknoledgement that you are doing a good job, but can do better next time.

The exhibition part is just ancillary to the competition with the hope that some will sell.
It is also a way for the committee to generate money to pay for the venue, advertising etc.

You would find that the majority of people attending are woodies looking at their competition and getting ideas them selves.

Mobyturns
15th May 2015, 09:45 AM
It is primarily a competition, that is why people put their peices in there, they want the opportunity to see where they stand with their peices in the woodturning community, with the hope of winning a prize.

With the prize comes acknoledgement that you are doing a good job, but can do better next time.

The exhibition part is just ancillary to the competition with the hope that some will sell.
It is also a way for the committee to generate money to pay for the venue, advertising etc.

You would find that the majority of people attending are woodies looking at their competition and getting ideas them selves.

If it is to morph into an exhibition with a competition attached will it survive?

I compete to share my work, winning is the goal but winning is not a particularly high priority to me. I only wish it was more affordable to enter and to take my work down personally so I can see what other gifted makes are producing.

chuck1
15th May 2015, 10:36 AM
Winning is bonus, if people don't enter it won't be an exhibition or show if there is nothing to look at. I managed to get the guys in our club to enter the local show and and the stewards said numbers were up .
And some of the first time entrants won prizes in the open classes and seemed very happy.
initially some didn't want to enter as the same people enter every year, which was a barrier I got them to over come. Because there were a small amount of people entering.

If I lived closer to the Woodturning exhibition I would be entering it. But due to costs of sending items down, it will be some time before I will be entering this exhibition.

issatree
15th May 2015, 08:15 PM
Hi Moby,
Usually after the show there has been in the past, a DVD of all the entrants. Used to be $5 + Postage. Could be a bit more now.

Mobyturns
15th May 2015, 10:42 PM
Hi Moby,
Usually after the show there has been in the past, a DVD of all the entrants. Used to be $5 + Postage. Could be a bit more now.

I'm actually still waiting for some I paid for in the past.

Mobyturns
16th May 2015, 10:20 AM
Well I chickened out! I was looking at $93.50 in entry fees and at least $150 in postage to enter. I can put that sort of cash to better use on tools :D

I must admit I got caught out with the new rule - "Must not have been previously displayed in any exhibition, nor been the subject of any article in any published media, be it electronic or printed;"

I chose not to enter to avoid any potential controversy as my pieces are made from linear laminated blanks that other similar pieces were made from.

I'm not sure how I can comply with this rule given many of my pieces look similar to the typical viewer.

smiife
16th May 2015, 06:21 PM
Hi guys,
I see a few are complaining about the cost of entering AWTEX
I made 4 different pieces and they are only small, but that was
deliberate because of keeping cost of freight/postage to a reasonable
rate, you can get a post bag at australia post for i think about $18.00
delivered anywhere in australia up to 5kg!!! I pack my pieces in a
cardboard box a bit bigger than a shoe box put the box inside the
post bag..........could not be easier ! !.I also included another bag
to return my pieces back to me ,
I don, t consider that to be too costly or too hard ! !:no:
as woodturners the very least we can do is to support these kind
of events when they are on, if there is no interest in the event it
dissappear ,my only regret is i could not go personally:doh:

Mobyturns
16th May 2015, 08:43 PM
Hi guys,
you can get a post bag at australia post for i think about $18.00 delivered anywhere in australia up to 5kg!!!

I've just been through the whole exercise, and agonized over whether it is worth the expense to compete.

The large Express Post satchel up to 5 kg is now $24.15 and is the only way to go as it can be tracked & you can be pretty sure it will arrive by the required date. The satchels unfortunately do not hold much in the way of volume, so two or 3 are required each way even for a modest 6 or 8 entries of relatively small items if you want them to arrive in one piece. You can only fit in a smallish bowl or a couple of goblets per satchel. The goblets weigh a whopping 38 grams each, but the volume kills you..

500 x 500 x 250 mm parcel that weighs >1 & < 20 kg costs $72.85 ( 1 kg $17, 2 kg $72.85)) standard or $214.25 Express ( 1 kg $27.50) plus an extra $15 for $1000 insurance if you want it - each way. Go over 1 kg and you may as well enter 22 kg of items that will fit the box!

500 x 500 x 500 mm a parcel but still >1 & <20 kg costs sky rocket to $132.85 standard or wait for it $413.45 Express - remember these are each way costs.

Standard delivery is hit and miss, even return express post can take 7 days most times from Melbourne to Townsville.

I know from past experience that it is more economic & you can fit more "small items" in 3 satchels than the one 500 x 500 x 250 mm box/parcel, plus you don't have "all your eggs in one basket." I've also gone to the extent of trial making the largest possible cardboard box which will physically fit into a satchel.

For me to enter a piece similar to the Mashrabyia panel I displayed at Turnfest will cost $57 minimum just to enter it alone if it would fit the 5 kg satchel - it doesn't. So I'm up for $72.85 minimum but I can include other pieces if I want to send it regular or $215.25 Express. Two goblets $63 etc so $120 min for 3 pieces alone.

Then I have to factor in the chance of attracting the judges eye to get a first place to have any chance of recouping entry costs as the comp is a "winner take all" affair, no minor prizes or prize money. I realize "The committee will subsidise return freight of up to $30 per entrant on exhibits entered ‘available for sale’ but which are not sold at the Exhibition. Exhibits not offered for sale will not have return freight subsidised." I have never asked for such payment as the exhibition should not have to subsidize my entry costs.

I am not complaining, its simply the way things are. It is actually smarter to book a cheap airfare, fly down & hand deliver, which is what I may do next year. It takes careful planning to keep items & packaging under 1 kg.

ps I can actually send one goblet using a 500g parcel to the USA for the AAW Pittsburgh symposium with three options < $22 now (was $14)

Osbojo
17th May 2015, 03:10 PM

I disagree. surely it would be the Australian Woodturning Competition if that were the case. As a member of a club who have been involved in the very early days, we have always considered it an Exhibition and would like to think our members would continue to exhibit without the benefit of prizes. yes, it is good to see how our efforts stand as far as our own development is concerned and, to a lesser degree, within the community as a whole. The judging scores are useful to see our weaknesses and give an indication of areas for improvement. It's the scores that give the indication not the prize which is only awarded to first place. As far as I'm concerned, the Exhibition is all about displaying the art/craft publicly and an opportunity to attract new members. I for one started turning after visiting AWTEx and have put in pieces that I think are good enough to exhibit but don't expect to be awarded a place. Hopefully, others share my belief that entering promotes woodturning and by entering items we get a feel for our own progress, support the exhibition, promote woodturning and hopefully, get a few folk interested enough to join us in our hobby.

I'm sure that the professional turners think differently and perhaps see it as a way to increase their annual income.

smiife
17th May 2015, 05:29 PM
I've just been through the whole exercise, and agonized over whether it is worth the expense to compete.

The large Express Post satchel up to 5 kg is now $24.15 and is the only way to go as it can be tracked & you can be pretty sure it will arrive by the required date. The satchels unfortunately do not hold much in the way of volume, so two or 3 are required each way even for a modest 6 or 8 entries of relatively small items if you want them to arrive in one piece. You can only fit in a smallish bowl or a couple of goblets per satchel. The goblets weigh a whopping 38 grams each, but the volume kills you..

500 x 500 x 250 mm parcel that weighs >1 & < 20 kg costs $72.85 ( 1 kg $17, 2 kg $72.85)) standard or $214.25 Express ( 1 kg $27.50) plus an extra $15 for $1000 insurance if you want it - each way. Go over 1 kg and you may as well enter 22 kg of items that will fit the box!

500 x 500 x 500 mm a parcel but still >1 & <20 kg costs sky rocket to $132.85 standard or wait for it $413.45 Express - remember these are each way costs.

Standard delivery is hit and miss, even return express post can take 7 days most times from Melbourne to Townsville.

I know from past experience that it is more economic & you can fit more "small items" in 3 satchels than the one 500 x 500 x 250 mm box/parcel, plus you don't have "all your eggs in one basket." I've also gone to the extent of trial making the largest possible cardboard box which will physically fit into a satchel.

For me to enter a piece similar to the Mashrabyia panel I displayed at Turnfest will cost $57 minimum just to enter it alone if it would fit the 5 kg satchel - it doesn't. So I'm up for $72.85 minimum but I can include other pieces if I want to send it regular or $215.25 Express. Two goblets $63 etc so $120 min for 3 pieces alone.

Then I have to factor in the chance of attracting the judges eye to get a first place to have any chance of recouping entry costs as the comp is a "winner take all" affair, no minor prizes or prize money. I realize "The committee will subsidise return freight of up to $30 per entrant on exhibits entered ‘available for sale’ but which are not sold at the Exhibition. Exhibits not offered for sale will not have return freight subsidised." I have never asked for such payment as the exhibition should not have to subsidize my entry costs.

I am not complaining, its simply the way things are. It is actually smarter to book a cheap airfare, fly down & hand deliver, which is what I may do next year. It takes careful planning to keep items & packaging under 1 kg.

ps I can actually send one goblet using a 500g parcel to the USA for the AAW Pittsburgh symposium with three options < $22 now (was $14)

Hi moby,
I can, t understand why you have to send such a volume of works
Why can, t you just send ,,,, say a couple of those fantastic goblets
you make ? maybe a small bowl etc, also why does It have to be express
If you organise yourself properly you could send your work
a couple of weeks before the due date , and i have just checked
a post bag costs $17.10 anywhere in australia , i think you are just
making things out to be tougher than they really are !!!
It ain, t that hard...................:C:C

Mobyturns
17th May 2015, 07:12 PM
Hi moby,

Could be! Ordinary parcel post is hit and miss with delivery times. It has taken over three weeks for items to come back after some AWTEX events. I'm only talking 8 or 9 small pieces but since my goblets and the Mashrabiya panels are fragile they need to be well packed. I believe the 5 kg Express parcel is the only way to go. Postage costs have escalated a fair bit in the past few years.

hughie
17th May 2015, 08:24 PM
Hi moby,

I suspect its all to do with where you live FNQ is simply FNQ and therefore expensive. For me Sydney is not, according to the postal rate on the PO website I'm up for $26, plus entry and any other incidentals .

mick61
21st May 2015, 01:21 AM
I know pricing Is an issue for some people especially up north and W A but if you are going to enter then consider the cost and adjust to suit . I donate every year to the exhibition because I never finish what I enter but who cares. I enter to support the exhibition and hopefully do ok. If to you its all about the cost to enter you have missed the whole point of the exhibition
How about some good posts about the exhibition.
Sick of negative negative negative
Cheers Mick

Scott
22nd May 2015, 10:15 AM

Hear, hear.

chuck1
22nd May 2015, 05:07 PM
Please don't read my post as negative. I'm all for shows, exhibitions and competitions.

Mobyturns
23rd May 2015, 07:56 AM
Cheers Mick

I have had a number of conversations with one of the AWTEX committee members answering his questions about why they don't see many entries from FNQ. Postage/freight costs and the high potential for damage in transit are big factors. To my knowledge only Powderpost & myself have entered in the past few years from FNQ and another turner from central QLD. I know a few from SE QLD & Brisbane enter. All have done well enough over the years and all have promoted the AWTEX comp to other turners. Without the likes of Ken Wraight and Vic Wood visiting the Proserpine Turnout, promoting AWTEX and Ken bringing his prize winning AWTEX entries many of us would not have even heard of AWTEX. Our participation has been a positive contribution, or perhaps negative to some when they see prize money heading north. ;-).

Osbojo
23rd May 2015, 10:10 PM
Cheers Mick

Heard on the grapevine that there are another bumper crop of entries this year so it promises to be a great exhibition. Now that's good news and very definitely positive.

Picko
5th June 2015, 05:18 PM
Congratulations Jim. A very well put together piece as usual.

John

Christos
5th June 2015, 06:00 PM
That's look really interesting. My mind is racing to think how you came about with the design.

Sturdee
5th June 2015, 06:06 PM
Posted in an other thread today regarding the exhibition.

I went to the Exhibition this afternoon at the Whitehorse Centre (at 397 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading, - behind the library and council offices) and was again amazed at the quality and quantity of the entries.

The committee again did a fantastic job of displaying the various entries and made it a very professional show. Well worth the effort to go and see if you are able, as the entry fee is a very low $ 5.00

I was pleased to see that a number of forumnites had entered and their entries were judged to be of a very high standard and indeed Powderpost won best of show. Congratulations Jim well done.

The Exhibition now has a new website (http://awtex.com.au/) and the catalogue (http://awtex.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Final-Catalogue-2015.pdf) and the final results (http://awtex.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/FINAL-RESULTS-2015.pdf) of the exhibition as well as some photos are on their website.

Like previous years I took some photos for posting here but unfortunately my camara played up and they are not good enough quality to do justice to the entries. However a DVD showing all the entries can be ordered from the committee.

Peter.

Mobyturns
5th June 2015, 08:56 PM
Congratulations Jim!

Congratulations to the promoters, judges & hard working committee members. It looks great & so does the revamped website.

turnerted
6th June 2015, 05:05 PM
Well done Jim . A beautiful piece.
Ted

dai sensei
6th June 2015, 06:28 PM
Best in Show, geez that's a feather in your cap Jim, well done :2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
7th June 2015, 02:00 PM
An excellent result Jim. It must be very satisfying and
enjoyable considering the many hours you must spend in
perfecting your techniques.

Well deserved!

Allan

smiife
7th June 2015, 07:17 PM
Hi guys,
Congratulations jim, a well deserved best of show,
I would like to see some more photos , looks great
I could not even imagine were to start with something
like that !
I can, t see any threads in there :o

hughie
7th June 2015, 10:29 PM
Hi guys,
Congratulations jim, a well deserved best of show,
I would like to see some more photos , looks great
I could not even imagine were to start with something
like that !

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Australian-Woodturning-Exhibition/1559350017665211?fref=photo

This might help, images of other winners etc. I managed to pick up a couple as well.

smiife
8th June 2015, 06:07 PM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Australian-Woodturning-Exhibition/1559350017665211?fref=photo

This might help, images of other winners etc. I managed to pick up a couple as well.

Hi hughie,
Thanks for the link but I, am not on facebook
Well done for your entry , looks great well deserved :2tsup:

mick61
8th June 2015, 10:32 PM
Well done Jim.
Cheers Mick

powderpost
8th June 2015, 11:06 PM
Just got home to where the temperatures are realistic and fit for human habitation. I am pleasantly surprised by the result. I thank all those wonderful people that have sent their congratulations, I do appreciate the thought. I also appreciate very much the hospitality of Julie and , the bearded one.

I can, t see any threads in there :o

Smiife, they were there. :D

Jim

powderpost
9th June 2015, 06:32 PM
I managed to pick up a couple as well.

I saw them at the Exhibition, they looked good to me.. congratulations. :2tsup:

Jim

dai sensei
9th June 2015, 09:03 PM
...I managed to pick up a couple as well.

:2tsup: Congrats mate

hughie
9th June 2015, 09:30 PM
Just got home to where the temperatures are realistic and fit for human habitation.

Jim

Couldnt agree more. If it aint warm , it aint home :U