PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

Kaivon772
20th July 2005, 11:30 PM
Have to start some time. I need advice on a starter lathe, tools, and the like. All information in regard to a first time turner starting from scratch is going to be helpful. Have attended a few meetings of the local wood turning club in the area, but would like other information for everyone. Also offers for used lathes and tools would be nice.

ribot
21st July 2005, 09:56 AM
Be patient, use the clubs equipment and keep your eyes and ears open. It will all fall into place.

( I know, easier said than done)

adrian
21st July 2005, 11:39 AM
Ribot's right. If you have access to club equipment then get as much use out of it as you can before you decide on a lathe.
The thing you have to find out first is whether you will stick with it. If you find out that it's not something you want to continue with then it's been a cheap excercise. If you know it's something you definitely want to pursue, then buy the best equipment you can afford. This goes for everything except chisels. As a beginner you will find that you will want to get a lot of practice at sharpening them and that's something you don't want to do on expensive chisels. You will also find yourself wanting to experiment with different profiles on your chisels. As can be seen at this link. http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/grinds.shtml
The people at your woodturning club will be happy to give you advice.

Kaivon772
21st July 2005, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will continue to attend, and I do think that the virus will infect me. My other viral infection is fountain pens. I will keep updating as I dive deeper into this new hobby.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2005, 12:49 AM
Another thing, should be common sense but...

While a lathe and other "one-off" purchases are usually worth the travelling/shipping to buy, the disposables (sandpaper, finishes, etc) normally aren't unless you're buying bulk or are into specialty items.

Your club'd be the place to ask about good, reliable suppliers local to you. If there are no local suppliers, consider moving house now. It'd be more economical in the long run... :D

smidsy
22nd July 2005, 01:17 AM
Kaivon,
You need to remember that this is an Aussie based forum, so the makes and model numbers we recommend would probably be meaningless to you over there.
I've been on the net about 10 years, this is one of the best forums around so by all means stick around for advice and bullsh*t - that's another Aussie word for advice.
For advice on gear you might like to check out the newsgroup rec.crafts.woodturning - this is a predominantly US inhabitated newsgroup so the makes and model numbers people quote would probably mean a little more to you.

Welcome to the forum anyway, and I hope you'll stick around.
Regards
Paul

rbjozzia
22nd July 2005, 01:04 PM
Have to start some time. I need advice on a starter lathe, tools, and the like. All information in regard to a first time turner starting from scratch is going to be helpful. Have attended a few meetings of the local wood turning club in the area, but would like other information for everyone. Also offers for used lathes and tools would be nice.

Good to hear from you in South Florida.
Remember experience starts with beginning and wisdom comes with experience. Stick with the boys at the club, start small and progress and soon you will find direction. Good luck.

Rob