PDA

View Full Version : The most unnecessary bit of kit you absolutely must try!

TTIT
8th June 2015, 12:56 AM
Can't imagine anyone actually likes getting showered in shavings when they are roughing down blanks - I certainly don't and I don't like putting the 'palm-up' like so many pros and demonstrators do - just not comfortable with not having both hands on the gouge and not being able to see what I'm cutting :no:. Got the idea for this little gadget today while roughing down my first commission job in the new shed. I'm gonna stick my neck right out here and predict that nearly every turner on the planet will be using one of these within a year or two :o . . . . OK, how about a couple of turners in the local area after I've threatened them with white-ants in their wood piles! :B

Seriously, it takes about 10 minutes to make one, is so easy but effective to use that I can't believe it hasn't already been done - and I'm gonna be sooooo pi$$ed off if I find somebody else HAS already thought of it but hasn't bothered telling me :doh:

Pic 1. My normal, pocket and cavity filling grip.
Pic 2. Not much change to the grip with the deflector in place - still have full control with no chips in the underwear and full view of the cut
Pic 3. In action - the prototype is a bit short but still blocks about 98% of the chips. Another 10 or 20mm higher would stop the 'bouncers'.
Pic 4. That's all there is to it - a scrap of 6mm Perspex with a hole a little bigger than your gouge - any mug can make one!

issatree
8th June 2015, 01:30 AM
Hi Vern,
I use a P&N 25mm. R/Gouge, & I have my thumb right up on the Left side of the Gouge, almost covering the edge, which stops all Shavings coming to my Face.
And I still have all my Digits.
That is a great little piece of kit, that I can pass on to my fellow Turners. Of course I will have a go at one anyway.
Haven't that Thickness, but will join 2 pieces together.

derekcohen
8th June 2015, 01:55 AM
I have this Easy Wood carbide chisel with a deflector...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/TheChair-BuildingTheLegs_html_2bf3ffb2.jpg

It is fantastic.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Pat
8th June 2015, 06:11 AM
Or you can just angle the gouge to spray the shavings elsewhere . . . .

hughie
8th June 2015, 08:59 AM
Can't imagine anyone actually likes getting showered in shavings when they are roughing down blanks - I certainly don't and I don't like putting the 'palm-up' like so many pros and demonstrators do - just not comfortable with not having both hands on the gouge and not being able to see what I'm cutting :no:. Got the idea for this little gadget today while roughing down my first commission job in the new shed. I'm gonna stick my neck right out here and predict that nearly every turner on the planet will be using one of these within a year or two :o . . . . OK, how about a couple of turners in the local area after I've threatened them with white-ants in their wood piles! :B

Seriously, it takes about 10 minutes to make one, is so easy but effective to use that I can't believe it hasn't already been done - and I'm gonna be sooooo pi$$ed off if I find somebody else HAS already thought of it but hasn't bothered telling me :doh:

Pic 1. My normal, pocket and cavity filling grip.
Pic 2. Not much change to the grip with the deflector in place - still have full control with no chips in the underwear and full view of the cut
Pic 3. In action - the prototype is a bit short but still blocks about 98% of the chips. Another 10 or 20mm higher would stop the 'bouncers'.
Pic 4. That's all there is to it - a scrap of 6mm Perspex with a hole a little bigger than your gouge - any mug can make one!

Looks good Vern and I love the prediction. :U Easywoods had a fixed polycarb shield for the square ended tool.... buga sorry .

But yours is universal , easily transferred. So its far more functional, practical and has ease of use going for it as well. I can see the need to have 2-3 sizes to cover say roughing out, middle of the road sizes and small detail gouges.
Best of all its got the KISS principle all over it. :2tsup:

TTIT
8th June 2015, 10:41 AM
I have this Easy Wood carbide chisel with a deflector...

It is fantastic.

Regards from Perth

DerekTried the Easywood rig and found it is like cracking an egg with a sledge hammer! Too hard on the timber and gear so I only use it when I'm at the desperate end of the scale like large chunks of Gidgee or Dead Finish - but I hate what it does to the toolrest, centres etc. Too much hammering and no cutting. The average turner can't afford such an overpriced bit of kit anyway so this deflector is a VERY easy way of making the standard SRG a bit friendlier.

TTIT
8th June 2015, 10:47 AM
Looks good Vern and I love the prediction. :U Easywoods had a fixed polycarb shield for the square ended tool.... buga sorry .

But yours is universal , easily transferred. So its far more functional, practical and has ease of use going for it as well. I can see the need to have 2-3 sizes to cover say roughing out, middle of the road sizes and small detail gouges.
Best of all its got the KISS principle all over it. :2tsup:Didn't think about adapting it to any of the other gouges - the roughing gouge is the only one that covers me in carp! The only other chisel I would like to stop the shaving stream on is the parting tool. To drive it straight (eg: safely), I find I need to be directly behind it to get and cop all the chips but because it is usually extended over the toolrest so far you can't really have a deflector attached anywhere :think:

TTIT
8th June 2015, 10:51 AM
Or you can just angle the gouge to spray the shavings elsewhere . . . . . . . . with limited effect I find. Works reasonably well once I'm down to round but from square to there, I still get covered in chips regardless of the angle :shrug:

dai sensei
8th June 2015, 11:01 AM
Even on the Easywood chisel I gave up on the shield. It's fine with hard dry timber, but if green or contains CA/Resins it quickly gets coated and no longer see through, but even dust causes it issues.

Why aren't you angling the chisel, so the chips fly away from you, or towards the guy next to you gets covered instead of you. The guys at our club hate me, a simple twist and I can get the guys on either adjacent lathes, especially with the green stuff :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th June 2015, 01:54 PM
I rather like the simplicity of the idea; I don't particularly mind being sprayed by shavings... as has been said, It's easy enough to direct them elsewhere most of the time.

But there are times when it is a right royal PITA. Such as when roughing wet woods (or allergenics, eg. cocobolo :rolleyes:) and I really need to see what I'm doing and the required FOV is in the spume. It's not often but it happens.

So what I like is that this can be left nearby to the lathe, slipped on/off in a second as needed and I don't have to muck around finding appropriate tooling to "lock it on."

I like it enough that I'm a-gonna make me one and take it for a test spin.

Good one, TTiT! :2tsup:

derekcohen
8th June 2015, 02:29 PM
Tried the Easywood rig and found it is like cracking an egg with a sledge hammer! Too hard on the timber and gear so I only use it when I'm at the desperate end of the scale like large chunks of Gidgee or Dead Finish - but I hate what it does to the toolrest, centres etc. Too much hammering and no cutting. The average turner can't afford such an overpriced bit of kit anyway so this deflector is a VERY easy way of making the standard SRG a bit friendlier.

My turning is limited to spindles for furniture. For this the carbide is terrific for roughing out. The dry hardwoods I use dull HSS in no time at all.

Overpriced? Cost is relative. Regardless, this setup does a fine job, and the deflector is fantastic. Sorry it gets up your nose.

Regards from Perth

Derek