PDA

View Full Version : Pepper mill - mill drill

newqlder
8th June 2015, 09:25 AM
OOPs I think i posted in the wrong place first time. sorry i replied to an old post.

However I have just tried a pair of mills and used the cheap mechanisms. I have since seen the crush grind ones and they seem much better quality although a bit dearer.

Has any body out there had experience with the wood-cut mill drill? It is a bit $$exxy but the idea seems brilliant for getting all holes concentric.

Also in the other thread they talked about suitable timber. Chaps at club say camphor is a NO NO because of the smell too.
Any comments appreciated folks.

dai sensei
8th June 2015, 10:27 AM
I have a Wood-cut mill drill but don't use it as my centre hole is only 22mm for the shape I have developed. A guy at out club is developing a similar tool but with TCT cutters, plus with an air connection that blows out all the chips, so I am waiting for that one to be released.

I have used all sorts of timbers including camphor but I seal the inside with hard shellac

newqlder
8th June 2015, 03:54 PM
I have a Wood-cut mill drill but don't use it as my centre hole is only 22mm for the shape I have developed. A guy at out club is developing a similar tool but with TCT cutters, plus with an air connection that blows out all the chips, so I am waiting for that one to be released.

I have used all sorts of timbers including camphor but I seal the inside with hard shellac

The new one sounds good. I reckon even the wood cut one is a great idea but I have just got mine and the morse taper slips in the tailstock. Have you heard of anyone with similar problem? I will be asking for a replacement for mine as I reckon at the price they should at least be able to get the taper right.

dai sensei
8th June 2015, 04:20 PM
..I reckon even the wood cut one is a great idea but I have just got mine and the morse taper slips in the tailstock. Have you heard of anyone with similar problem? I will be asking for a replacement for mine as I reckon at the price they should at least be able to get the taper right.

Check your tailstock MT is clean. I use one of these regularly to ensure they keep clean http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/category/-tapermate

chuck1
8th June 2015, 04:59 PM
Also for a cheap morse taper cleaner I use a shot gun pull through . The copper brush type. It worked well!
I still drill all my holes individually starting with the biggest one required and move down in size.

Jim Carroll
8th June 2015, 06:35 PM
As Neil indicated if the taper is not clean it will not hold properly as these are a friction fit.

Even if the taper is a smidgen out there will be enough drive to keep in place.

It is also worth holding the cutter head like you would do with a drill chuck to keep it from pulling out which is more probable to what is happening to you.

If you find that the taper has a glazed look about it from spinning in the taper rub chalk on the tapers as this increases the grip.

Mobyturns
9th June 2015, 08:03 AM
As Neil indicated if the taper is not clean it will not hold properly as these are a friction fit.

Even if the taper is a smidgen out there will be enough drive to keep in place.

It is also worth holding the cutter head like you would do with a drill chuck to keep it from pulling out which is more probable to what is happening to you.

If you find that the taper has a glazed look about it from spinning in the taper rub chalk on the tapers as this increases the grip.

If your tail stock design permits - use a drawbar - a threaded rod designed to thread into the tang end of a MT and to have a nut & washer on the outboard side to securely hold the chuck. Google "MT2 drawbar." Far safer drilling using a drawbar.

tore
9th June 2015, 10:16 AM

Get one of this will take out unevenness in the tail stock

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1Set-MT2-No-2-Morse-Taper-Reamer-Set-/300963664014?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4612d5108e
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/BQoAAOSwEeFVClAN/$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F