PDA

View Full Version : Bowl - keep the foot or not?

rtyuiop
2nd July 2015, 03:29 PM
Hi folks,

Put my first foot on a bowl on Sunday, and still can't decide if I like it. Anyone have any thoughts? I am thinking about either taking the foot off or reshaping it.

Bowl is spurwood on the bottom, burdekin plum and red bloodwood (I think) on top.

http://rtyuiop.net/workshop/burdekin-plum-spurwood-bloodwood-bowl-2.jpg

http://rtyuiop.net/workshop/burdekin-plum-spurwood-bloodwood-bowl-3.jpg

Thanks,

Danny

turnerted
2nd July 2015, 05:36 PM
Danny
A nice looking bowl but the foot is overpowering .I would remount it and reduce the foot to about 1/3 the diameter of the bowl or less .
Ted

rtyuiop
2nd July 2015, 06:18 PM
Unfortunately the foot is a ring left over from using a chuck in expansion mode - I can cut it back and reshape it, but there isn't enough wood there to move it inwards very far.

But that's a good way to remind myself to think about where I put the chuck jaws next time, thank you!

Christos
2nd July 2015, 06:31 PM
I like the concept of the bowl, now as for the foot I must say not so much.

Personally I would remount the bowl and see how I go about reducing the foot. After each series of cuts I would tilt my head side ways to view the bowl to see how it looks.

P.S. Or look at giving the foot a series of cuts to give the impression it has separate feet. Now that is a lot of work to get them looking the same.

P.P.S. Or how about not doing anything and go onto the next project.

Dalboy
2nd July 2015, 11:15 PM
For me personally I would reverse chuck the bowl and lose the foot but leave just enough to raise the bowl off of the table

Paul39
3rd July 2015, 09:21 AM
For me personally I would reverse chuck the bowl and lose the foot but leave just enough to raise the bowl off of the table

Agree, take about 2/3 off. Very nice bowl otherwise.

rtyuiop
3rd July 2015, 01:33 PM
Mmm... Still can't decide what to do! Christos, I like the idea of cutting some of the ring of the foot out to make separate legs... Will have to have a think out whether I can pull it off with my limited skill level.

But I do have another bowl on the lathe to finish, I might just mark this one down as 'come back to it one day'.