PDA

View Full Version : A nice piece of wood.

Old Croc
9th July 2015, 01:33 PM
I dont often get around to posting much, but here is a nice bowl I entered in the local Show competition. This is a stunning piece of wood and the photo does not really do it justice.
It was a Pink Trupet Tree, Tabebuia impetiginosa.
rgds,
Crocy

powderpost
9th July 2015, 03:08 PM
Well done Crocy, nice job well turned and finished. The bit of paper looks OK too???

Jim

markdem
9th July 2015, 05:12 PM
Great work.
What finish did you use on that?

Rod Gilbert
9th July 2015, 07:20 PM
Hi Old Croc,
Stunning piece of timber,no wonder you had trouble with the photo that finish is so clear and high gloss well done and congratulations on you're effort.
Regards Rod.

Mobyturns
9th July 2015, 07:27 PM
Crocky, Nice timber & very nice work. I stuck my head into the show hall to have a look this year. It wasn't too hard picking your work and the pieces from Bowen.

smiife
9th July 2015, 09:00 PM
Hi crocky,
"A nice piece of wood".....is a bit of a understatement
A well deserved 2nd prize for a great looking bowl
Well done :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
9th July 2015, 09:04 PM
Noice
no very noice
na extremely blooming spectacular (and spectacularly noice)

congrats on the piece of cardboard

dai sensei
9th July 2015, 11:10 PM
Beautiful work Crocy, well done :2tsup:, and wow what a bit of timber :cool:

dusteater
9th July 2015, 11:29 PM
Bonza piece of work:2tsup:,that wood is mesmerizing .

ticklingmedusa
10th July 2015, 07:51 AM
Spectacular!:2tsup:
Tabebuia is used sometimes in landscape plantings here in California, from now on I'll be watching for the tree surgeons.

Faulko
10th July 2015, 07:22 PM
a nice piece of wood might be a candidate for understatement of the year. that bowl is spectacular.

Mobyturns
10th July 2015, 09:32 PM
a nice piece of wood might be a candidate for understatement of the year. that bowl is spectacular.

When you see the spectacular timber Old Croc has turned over the years for show entries you tend to get a bit blasé about it. Always top quality timber & the turning isn't to shabby either.

Old Croc
11th July 2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks to everyone that posted a comment. As Mobyturns said, I have used some real nicely figured timber previously, but this would have to be the most impressive piece I have ever harvested. One of the visitors to the show asked me if I had burrowed it out with a dremel and filled it with clear epoxy as the furrows look so deep. Not having a computer limits me posting photos but l will add some more soon.

Well done Crocy, nice job well turned and finished. The bit of paper looks OK too???

Jim
Thanks for that Jim. It is a well proportioned bowl, but the lacquer finish may not have been perfect, so only good enough for 2nd.

Great work.
What finish did you use on that?
Mark, I use Wattyl Stylwood, 90% gloss, 30% thinners, 6 wet coats, 0000 steel wool between coats and finish with Mothers California Gold polish and hand rubbed.
thanks again, everyone,
rgds,
Crocy.

Cliff Rogers
11th July 2015, 09:31 PM
Shiny. :2tsup:

DaveTTC
11th July 2015, 09:40 PM
Very impressive

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Hardenfast
13th July 2015, 10:25 AM
I'd like to see the piece that knocked that bowl back to 2nd Place. Superb piece of timber - even better turning & finishing skills.