But what would you use a chainsaw or a backhoe

A backhoe of course!

dai sensei
15th July 2015, 08:12 PM
Yep Backhoe for sure, waterblaster, then chainsaw

artful bodger
15th July 2015, 08:21 PM
Strange looking burl!
Thought burls were like big warts that grew off the side of trees.
That looks like the tree grew out of the burl.
Almost scrotumesque..to coin a new name.

Wood Collector
15th July 2015, 10:00 PM
If it was me I would have cut the top off the burl and then dug up the stump for the rest of the burl. I would then slab the rest of the tree as it might have figgure in the trunk above the burl. Cheers WC

Willy Nelson
15th July 2015, 10:38 PM
Strange looking burl!
Thought burls were like big warts that grew off the side of trees.
That looks like the tree grew out of the burl.
Almost scrotumesque..to coin a new name.

Nope, I reckon there are more rootball burls than trunk burls. I have to drive past hundreds of rootball burls to get to work every day, shocking.
Plus rootball burls are normally harder, more colour and with more figure than their above ground cousins
Cheers
Willy

artme
17th July 2015, 09:38 AM
Nope, I reckon there are more rootball burls than trunk burls. I have to drive past hundreds of rootball burls to get to work every day, shocking.
Plus rootball burls are normally harder, more colour and with more figure than their above ground cousins
Cheers
Willy

Yep. Totally agree Willy. People talk about mallee burls when in fact they are root balls.

artful bodger
19th July 2015, 08:13 PM
Cheers
Willy
Well there you go eh? Pretty amazing how burls grow rootball style over in the west and tree side over in the south east! Sounds like your itching for a state of origin "Burl Off"
Strange old planet we live on.
Either way, it's good to have trees...to cut down...and make stuff outta! Even if you have to put up with the inferior softer,less colourful,less figuring tree side ones us poor folk over here have to put up with:U

Toymaker Len
20th July 2015, 02:20 PM
If they are in the ground they are a 'lignotuber' and often have sand inclusions which will very quickly ruin cutting edges. If they are growing out of the side of the tree they are burls and much less likely to contain sand.