PDA

View Full Version : Crosswords

oges
27th July 2005, 10:02 AM
Being a train commuter I therefore have time to ponder stupid things, so here is a poll I though of whilst doing my crossword :D

echnidna
27th July 2005, 10:10 AM
Not being a train commuter I find time to ponder stupid things too!! :eek: :eek:

craigb
27th July 2005, 10:18 AM
I used to spend a lot of time doing crosswords in days gone by.

Eventually though I decided that they were a bit of a waste of time so I gave them up. I guess I'd rather read a book or something.

I don't think I had a particular method other than say, get the down word and then try and get the across words that intersected with it.

My missus is an avid crossworder, I'll have to ask her what her method is.

Driver
27th July 2005, 12:27 PM
I do a couple of crosswords every day - have done so for years. I use The Times cryptic in The Australian as a brain starter over breakfast. Doesn't always work! Sometimes I can knock it off in one go and sometimes I can't get past two or three clues.

Ashore
27th July 2005, 12:50 PM
Usually only do cryptic
If I do normal ones start at 1 across
do them in order then start at first across missed clue and continue in order
Count the number of times I need go through clues in order to finish

Usually three times

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

knucklehead
27th July 2005, 01:48 PM
There seems to be an option missing from the poll....... "do the little words that don't hurt my brain".

Or will that only get my vote?

AlexS
27th July 2005, 01:56 PM
Do the SMH cryptic every morning with my after brekky coffee. Usually get it out, but find Friday's the most challenging. Go through all the across, then all the down, then back & repeat.

Occasionally do the quick X-word, & set myself the challenge of completing the clues in order. If I get an across one I can't do, go to the first down one that hasn't been done. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes I can't.

flea1607
27th July 2005, 02:03 PM
Across and down but in sections when I get a chance:rolleyes:

bitingmidge
27th July 2005, 02:47 PM
I rarely utter a cross word.

P
:rolleyes:

Termite
27th July 2005, 02:55 PM
I rarely utter a cross word.

P
:rolleyes:
I do, and I've accumulated quite a collection after 61 years, and in several languages too.

It always amazes me about the meaning of some words in a foreign language. For example, try running the popular dogs name "Puki" past a Filipino, and if you try it on a Filipina you can expect a smack in the mouth. :D I've seen the name used in TV commercials and ROFL every time it happens.

Also you can ask a South African about that popular Yank name for a biscuit,"Cookie", and once it is explained to you, you will understand the delight they get out of the Sesame Street character "Cookie Monster." :D :D

BTW, they are both slang words for the same thing.

Wongo
27th July 2005, 04:45 PM
Sorly count sbell :p

silentC
27th July 2005, 04:58 PM
Crossroads? Yeah, great song.

I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees.
Asked the Lord above for mercy, "Save me if you please."

Good old Slowhand :D

Zed
27th July 2005, 05:36 PM
Crossroads? Yeah, great song.

Asked the Lord above for mercy, "Save me if you please."

Good old Slowhand :D

actually darren... its good old robert johnson - even slow hand says that when he was in cream he wouldnt even talk to you if you didnt know who robert johnson was....

silentC
27th July 2005, 05:52 PM
Actually, Robert Johnson wrote "Cross Road Blues" and "Travelling Riverside Blues" from which "Crossroads", the Cream classic, was adapted. So there :p

Zed
27th July 2005, 06:50 PM
Actually, Robert Johnson wrote "Cross Road Blues" and "Travelling Riverside Blues" from which "Crossroads", the Cream classic, was adapted. So there :p

adapted = plagurised (a bit like kid2345 or whtever his number is)

besides as I said clapton himself acknowledged RJ so, therfore you should to :D

craigb
28th July 2005, 11:56 AM
Speaking of Eric Clapton and Crossroads :rolleyes: , I bought a DVD the other day of "The Crossroads Guitar Festival".

This is a double DVD of the said festival which was held last year to aid EC's Crossroads Drug and Alcohol Centre.

There are some really great players on it and at nearly 4 hours running time it's terrific value if you are into that sort of thing. :)

Check out http://www.zrock.com/zforum/post-1805.html for more info.

Highly recommended.

Cheers
Craig

oges
28th July 2005, 12:03 PM
speaking of crossroads .. i think this poll has been hijacked :D :p

Driver
28th July 2005, 02:16 PM
Speaking of Eric Clapton and Crossroads :rolleyes: , I bought a DVD the other day of "The Crossroads Guitar Festival".

This is a double DVD of the said festival which was held last year to aid EC's Crossroads Drug and Alcohol Centre.

There are some really great players on it and at nearly 4 hours running time it's terrific value if you are into that sort of thing. :)

Check out http://www.zrock.com/zforum/post-1805.html for more info.

Highly recommended.

Cheers
Craig

Craig

Did you buy the DVD via the link to Amazon.com or elsewhere?

Col

craigb
28th July 2005, 02:37 PM
Craig

Did you buy the DVD via the link to Amazon.com or elsewhere?

Col

I bought it from Meyer Col.

$34.95. It was on sale so reduced from $39.95.

Are Meyer in Perth having a sale at the moment?

Driver
28th July 2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks for that, mate!

The cloud of smoke you can see on the Western horizon is coming from the front wheels of the Drivermobile as I zoom off in the general direction of the nearest Myers. :D

Driver
29th July 2005, 06:39 PM
Craig

Thanks for the tip - that's a great concert! :)

Col

craigb
29th July 2005, 07:00 PM
Craig

Thanks for the tip - that's a great concert! :)

Col

Just pleased to spread the word. :)

It is a ripper isn't it?

Cheers
Craig